bgreen19

Nursing and CGFNS? HELP

33 posts in this topic

My wife has a Bachelor of Science in Nursing and wants to work in nursing when she gets here. I've called the Colorado state board of nursing and they said she doesn't have to take the full CGFNS exam she just needs to do the Credit Evaluation and take the English proficiency exam.

My question is when should she do the Credit Evaluation and take the English exam? Is it best to wait until she is here in the U.S. or should we get this done while she is still in the Philippines??

Thanks for your help!

Filed: Other Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

My wife has a Bachelor of Science in Nursing and wants to work in nursing when she gets here. I've called the Colorado state board of nursing and they said she doesn't have to take the full CGFNS exam she just needs to do the Credit Evaluation and take the English proficiency exam.

My question is when should she do the Credit Evaluation and take the English exam? Is it best to wait until she is here in the U.S. or should we get this done while she is still in the Philippines??

Thanks for your help!

She will have to wait, they may not take the English exam if she does it over there. She might be able to do the credit evaluation thru mail, you and the state board, but you will have to check on it. In the mean time she could take some english classes there to get ready, but I'm sure she already speaks great enlish.

thats my two cents.

She can prepare all the necessary documents (e.g. Transcript of Records, RLE hours, etc) needed for submission to CGFNS while she is still in the Philippines. CGFNS are the ones who will do the evaluation (they call it CES). as soon as she will arrive in the U.S., she can start to file for her academic evaluation (CES). She can also take NCLEX review classes while waiting for visa approval.

Edited by monalisapod

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for your help!

I would recommend she take the TOEFL for her English proficiency. That she can take at any time. Please do not let her think it is a smiple exam. At least look at testing material for it. Good luck!

She can prepare all the necessary documents (e.g. Transcript of Records, RLE hours, etc) needed for submission to CGFNS while she is still in the Philippines. CGFNS are the ones who will do the evaluation (they call it CES). as soon as she will arrive in the U.S., she can start to file for her academic evaluation (CES). She can also take NCLEX review classes while waiting for visa approval.

She seems to want to do the CES while she is there. I don't understand why but that's what she has her mind set on. So if she does it while she's there would she just submit the evaluation to the colorado board of nursing when she gets here?

I would recommend she take the TOEFL for her English proficiency. That she can take at any time. Please do not let her think it is a smiple exam. At least look at testing material for it. Good luck!

Where can she take the TOEFL in the PH? Is there a separate payment for that besides the CES?

Thanks for your help!

Hi. Im a nurse too from philippines. Currently processing nclex. What your wife needs to do is go to cgfns website and make an account. You can choose different services there. If your nursing state board said that she needs CES. She can order that online and she will need to print forms from the cgfns website. One is to be given to the school and the other one is to the licensing agency in philippines (PRC) to verify license.

Take note, the school needs to put school seal on each page of each document for authenticity. And put inside a school sealed envelope with school seal on the closure. And if the school will not send it your wife can do it through dhl/lbc/fedex or any courier with tracking number. (Papers are so important, you need to track it) and make sure the school will include full copy of her transcript aside from the cgfns forms (my school made a mess with mine and i have to pay again and spent more money on sending it again)

With the license verification, the PRC will send the papers themselves. And you just need to pay for the service. But make sure you get a tracking number from them too.

Once the papers are all in cgfns thats the time they will process your wife's papers. Normally, regular processing time is 10 weeks according to their customer service. But if your in a hurry, you can pay expedite fee and processing will be 10 days. You will see instructions in the website.

Regarding toefl/ ielts. You need to know which one your state requires. She can take a review class and have her exam their in philippines while waiting for visa process and cgfns process.

Hope this helps :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

► Foreign trained applicants: Applicants who are educated outside the United States and its territories must submit

the CES Healthcare Profession & Science Report credentials review from the Commission on Graduates of

Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS)

here is the link for NCLEX application for the state of Colorado here you will see here the requirements for taking NCLEX and CES is one of them since your wife graduated outside the US

Timeline

here is the CES application instruction handbook. this might give u an idea how to apply for CES. i did not read all of it but i found this in the handbook.

Other requirements

> English language proficiency report – This is for state boards of nursing that require an English proficiency report included

with Credentials Evaluation Service report.

> Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa, New Jersey, Virginia and Wisconsin (practical nurse only) require proof that the applicant has

achieved a passing score on the English Proficiency examination required by the Department of Homeland Security for

certification of health care workers in Section 343 of the Illegal Immigration Reform Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996.

The Michigan Board of Nursing also requires proof of English language proficiency for applicants who graduated from

a nursing school taught in a language other than English. The CGFNS CES report must be accompanied by this English

language proficiency report containing the passing scores of the approved English examinations detailed in the CGFNS

VisaScreen® handbook.

I think it is better to get ready for CES while your wife is still here in PI. then once she is ready to take the NCLEX, she already has the CES report as one of the requirements and much better if she is the one processing the required docs that deals with her school.and not to mention some schools are slow in processing papers.. headbonk.gif

Yes, she can submit all her documents for CES at the CGFNS even if she is still in Philippines. As soon as her credentials get evaluated by CGFNS, the Colorado BON will send her an email stating that she is eligible to take the NCLEX exam. It's better that she will process her CES while she's in Philippines because it will take so much time to comply the needed documents for the evaluation.

Edited by monalisapod

here is the CES application instruction handbook. this might give u an idea how to apply for CES. i did not read all of it but i found this in the handbook.

[/size]

I think it is better to get ready for CES while your wife is still here in PI. then once she is ready to take the NCLEX, she already has the CES report as one of the requirements and much better if she is the one processing the required docs that deals with her school.and not to mention some schools are slow in processing papers.. headbonk.gif

True that! It took me a month to receive my transcripts and list of hosp hours rendered.

Timeline

SOcial Security Number is needed if your wife would take the NCLEX. so if she don't have yet, then she can't take the exam here in PI but once she is there in CO and applied for SSN already then she can take the NCLEX and work if she already has the EAD. :) but while she can prepare for CES without any SSN required then the better. it's also not easy dealing with PRC or probably depends on the people's mood at PRC? lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.