VisaJourney.com Logo
Gallery      Form Downloads      Example Forms      Processing Times      Embassy Info      Reviews: Embassy/USCIS & POE      Affiliates     Members

Latest VJ Member Visa Approvals - Congratulations!

blank avatarAmanda & Justin
K1 Visa
Canada
Eva & Manuel
K1 Visa
Dominican Republic
Mickael & Maki
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Japan
josh owens & mary rose caccam
K1 Visa
Philippines
Stephen & Martyna
K1 Visa
Austria
blank avatarK & N
K1 Visa
Ireland
blank avatarDiana & Alec
K1 Visa
United Kingdom
blank avatarV & S
K1 Visa
Japan
Thomas & Diamond
K1 Visa
Philippines
Mark & Nathaelle
K1 Visa
Canada

Visa Interviews Today: Good Luck!!

blank avatarVeronica & Gerada
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Jamaica
blank avatarD & M
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Egypt
Nicholas & Selena
K1 Visa
Canada
blank avatarMai & Clifford
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Philippines
blank avatarDavid & Salvador
K1 Visa
Brazil
Kim & Doug
K1 Visa
United Kingdom
Alexander & Maria
K1 Visa
Spain
blank avatarAmanda & Jhalil
K1 Visa
Netherlands
Joey & Diana
K1 Visa
Belarus
blank avatarDavid & Azhar
K1 Visa
Kazakhstan
blank avatarAdam & Treena
K1 Visa
Singapore
blank avatarMarcel & Lourdes
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Mexico
blank avatarL & J
K1 Visa
Canada
Diana & Niall
K1 Visa
United Kingdom
blank avatarFrank & Sharen
K1 Visa
Philippines

• Please log in to reply

Funny Facts About Your Country

#1 duraaraa

duraaraa

The Village Idiot

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

I thought that this would be a fun 'game' to play in a big international community, like the one we have here. Although most of us are probably familiar with American culture, there are so many fantastic traditions around the world, I thought it would be fun to list some of the quirky things people may not know about various countries. Here are some things about countries I've spent a lot of time in.

In Japan:
A popular game for kids in Japan is called 'kancho.' They put their hands together in the shape of a gun, and try to shove their hands up another kid's butt. People find this to be funny, and it's basically allowed, and not considered sexual harassment. Kancho means 'enema' in Japanese. Luckily, I have avoided being Kancho'ed... so far.

In Mongolia:
Parents often give their kids names in Mongolia which would be very confusing to people. Examples are "nergui" - no name, "hunbish" - not human, "enebish" - not this one, or "muunohoi" - bad dog. They often do this when they lost a previous child, traditionally believing that if they give their child a bad name, evil will not be attracted to it.

What are some of the silly, unique, or interesting things people do in your country?

What would Xenu do?

#2 Alaska2012

Alaska2012

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

In Sweden we celebrate midsummer by dressing up a pole with flowers. Then we jump like frogs around it while singing we are small frogs....
Noa 1 August 15th
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!!

#3 duraaraa

duraaraa

The Village Idiot

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

In Sweden we celebrate midsummer by dressing up a pole with flowers. Then we jump like frogs around it while singing we are small frogs....

I didn't know that Sweden had such awesome traditions. All I knew was that everyone pronounces "sju" differently, and that Timbuktu is a brilliant rapper.

Edited by duraaraa, 17 April 2013 - 03:29 PM.

What would Xenu do?

#4 Frances&Bryan

Frances&Bryan

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

umm im not sure if this is silly to others, but i'll post it anyway.
In the dominican republic, boys start at an early age to play "Vitilla." It's a baseball game. The only difference is that they play with a bottle cap instead of the actual baseball! Just thought I'd share that! :)

Great post by the way! :)

#5 Espanyol

Espanyol

• PipPip

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

In Spain many teenagers gather in a city/town square around midnight, any day of the week works, and drink alcohol beverages previously acquired in liquor stores.Around 2 or 3AM they go to clubs without paying the outrageous alcohol prices set in those places. Then, they get home at 7AM and sleep through the day in their parent's house, where they live does not matter the age, while mom and dad, sometimes granpa, are praying that the 50% unemployment for youth stays as it is so they can have their kids at home until the end of times. It is a national sport.

#6 duraaraa

duraaraa

The Village Idiot

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

A lot of talk about national sports, hahaha.

If we're talking about sports...

In Mongolia, the national sports are Wrestling (Mongolian Sumo), Archery, and Horse Racing. All of the jockeys are kids.

There's an old Mongolian tale that says there was a woman who disguised herself as a man and entered the wrestling competition, and that she defeated all of the men. Since then, they have a wrestling costume with sleeves, but an open chest. It's called zodog shuudag, and it looks like this:
Posted Image

What would Xenu do?

#7 Shiobhan

Shiobhan

Diamond Member

• Group: Members
  • State:Texas
  • Filed for: Other

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

OK...so in Texas we say " we are gonna go make groceries", My hubby say its "you are gonna buy groceries". Some people will describe those with long nails

as "having big nails", an upsweep or well sprayed hair as "big hair" Most people greets each other in the mornings with a howdy or hello, even the kids, although

a large state with lots of people its got an homey community feel to it, Many ppl who never lived or visit claims its a racist state I don't think so I have lived in 4

other states and see more racisms...not saying its not here (its in every state) but its not in your face rude like that...I speak for Dallas, Houston Austin& San Antonio

Cannot speak for Jasper .

#8 Jawaree

Jawaree

Diamond Member

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

In Jamaica the sports enjoyed are Foot-ball here (internationally called Soccer) & Cricket
Every young boy kicks anything like a soccer ball also culturally we are big on running..
there lies our great Usain Bolt, Veronica Campbell among many others.

Weather is usually in 75-90 degress year-round depending on where you live, there's no snow
lots of beaches & resorts. Like everywhere in the world we have our share of troubles, but
the country parties a lot. give them a reason for a party and its on.

Manchester and Blue Mountain does get cooler than anywhere else , like in the 50-60s The
ppl are friendly and can seem a bit aggressive at times in their excited pattern of speech
Jamaica is the largest English speaking Caribbean county ( a local dialect of broken English
is spoken, called pothois=pronounced potwa.

Jamaica have been accused of being a homophobic country which is not necessarily true there
are and have been many notable Jamaicans and ppl who have been and is successful and never
harmed for been gay . Being a Christian country some ppl are offended IF a man begin the DIVA
behavior in public.But no one goes around harming gays without some reasons of certain public
display.

Jamaica is the birth home of reggae, birth place of Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Robert Louis Stephenson
and Marcus Garvey...This is where the Rasta religion began, The only country whose national airline
never had any crashes before it folded (Air Jamaica).There are rich, upper middle-class, lower middle-class
poor & poorer like evry place else...National Anthem "Eternal Father Bless Our Land"

#9 duraaraa

duraaraa

The Village Idiot

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

The only country whose national airline never had any crashes before it folded (Air Jamaica).

I never knew that! Very interesting!

What would Xenu do?

#10 Shiobhan

Shiobhan

Diamond Member

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

texas has a lot of fairs during the summer time, in Dallas Big Ben is the main feature at the fair, dancing horses, and most people love to eat the Corny dogs

#11 duraaraa

duraaraa

The Village Idiot

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

In Japan, "high-tension" means relaxed, and happy. "Low-tension" means stressed out and sad.

What would Xenu do?

#12 Shiobhan

Shiobhan

Diamond Member

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

When I lived in Florida what's called a canal or waterways there is called a Bayou in Texas

#13 Pinkrlion

Pinkrlion

Queen Amazone - Minister of Summer

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

In the USA Midwest, there are few major cities, the space of the cities can be vast. Some cities are considered the murder capital of the US, but it is in relation to number of incidents per capita. There are a lot of farm land, corn, wheat, beans, and fruit are the major products. There are several words for soft drink in the midwest. You will hear soda, pop, pepsi (can mean anything that is a soda) We fry anything and it tastes good. :rofl:

Phase II - AOS

December 12, 2012 - Married

December 27, 2012 - I-485, I-765, I-131 Mailed

December 29, 2012 - Confirmation of Delivery at Chicago Lockbox

January 3, 2013 - E-mail and text of NOA1 for all three - NBC

January 3, 2013 - Verified Check Cashed

January 7, 2013 - Hardcopy of 3 NOA1's, Received date of December 31, 2012

January 18, 2013 - Biometrics Walk-in Completed

March 4, 2013 - EAD/AP Approved

March 11, 2013 - EAD/AP Combo Card Rec'd

November 7, 2013 - Renewal I-765, I-131 Mailed

November 12, 2013 - NOA1 for Renewal I-765, I-131

December 31, 2013 - Renewal EAD/AP Approved

January 9, 2014 - Renewal EAD/AP Combo Card Rec'd  (Rec'd Late due to Winter Storm Ion)

April 19, 2014 - Filed case assistance with CIS Ombudsman

July 16,  2014 - Home visit from USCIS

September 30, 2014 - 2nd Biometrics appointment

October 16, 2014 - Decision - Card/Document Production

#14 Jawaree

Jawaree

Diamond Member

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

In Jamaica the national dish is Ackee & codfish (called saltfish in JA)Ackee is a fruit brought
to Jamaica by Captain Bligh(Ackee official name is Bligha Sapida), its very good but must be cooked
properly only by those who knows how to.

A new Airline for Jamaica was recently launched starting off small with flights from the NY area & soon
Florida the airline name is FLY JAMAICA, hopefully it will become a success and be another fantastic airline.
Please support them if you can.

There's the Blue Mountain Peak 7400 ft and this area is where our coffee comes from, also this area boost many
health and day spas where most visitors enjoys a one of a kind massage by professionals who are licensed.

The kids have/had many games Dandy Shany, Jacks, Snakes & Ladders, Baseball, Simon says just to name a few.

Most older Jamaicans will not light a stove to cook on Good-Friday (its a lent holiday) but fishes are fried
and prepared for meal that day after church, even those that are not regular worshipers tend to go to church
Good Fridays, Easter Sundays and New years Sunday , many eat no meat during lent. A large portion of Jamaicans
does not eat pork, while some like myself Loves Pork.

#15 Shiobhan

Shiobhan

Diamond Member

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

In Florida were many fairs Collins Ave, South0beach & still does. On Sundays most would head to Rickenbacker to hang at beach, dance to bands

go sailing, the cruise that goes by Star-Island was/is interesting going by Shaqs, Madonna and a few more famous peeps mansions on Star-Island

however no stopping were allowed. Florida is a hard place to get a good job because of bi-lingual requirements, many businesses are owned by

Cubans.

Back to Top ↑

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.