VisaJourney.com Logo
Gallery      Form Downloads      Example Forms      Processing Times      Embassy Info      Reviews: Embassy/USCIS & POE      Affiliates     Members

Latest VJ Member Visa Approvals - Congratulations!

blank avatarAmanda & Justin
K1 Visa
Canada
Emily & Friday
K1 Visa
Nigeria
J & M
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Jordan
Brielle & Greg
K1 Visa
United Kingdom
Cayla & Daniel
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
United Kingdom
Ed & Gina
K3 Visa
Philippines
Cristina & Jessica
K1 Visa
Canada
Fling & Cindy
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Taiwan
FRANKIE & KATERYNA
K1 Visa
Ukraine
Alexa & Fabian
K1 Visa
Germany

Visa Interviews Today: Good Luck!!

Jim & Anita
K1 Visa
Argentina
Courtney & Lorenzo
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Dominican Republic
blank avatarJamie & Philip
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
United Kingdom
blank avatarJoDee & Toshi
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Japan
Kevin & Yan
K1 Visa
Japan

• Please log in to reply

Adjust status after overstaying on O-1 through marriage

#1 smjb

smjb

• Pip

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hi, my O-1 visa renewal got denied and it expired in October 2012.
I got married to US citizen this month (April 2013). I overstayed on my O-1 about 6 months.

Am I eligible to apply for Adjustment of Status?
I can't find much information for O-1, so if anyone has any information specifically for this visa,
that would be really helpful.

Thank you very much!

#2 Harpa Timsah

Harpa Timsah

Let's not go to VJ, 'tis a silly place.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

Yes, you can adjust status.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

#3 Espanyol

Espanyol

• PipPip

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Yes you can. Being married with an US citizen makes your overstay "OK". My advice: don't leave the country at all until you have the Green Card on hand. Your overstay would make your return impossible. Be prepare also for some questioning by the USCIS officer in the AOS interview. They would like to know if you got married just to stay in the US because you did not get the O1 visa. You will need to explain the good faith of your marriage with photos of the marriage, personal questions... Start the process filling I-130.

#4 Inky

Inky

Elder Member

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

Moved from adjustment of status from family based visas to adjustment of status from work student tourist as the OP entered on an O-1 and it is not a family based visa.

-------------------------------------------- Posted Image

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.
Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.
AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.
I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

#5 Hypnos

Hypnos

Every deletion adds to my power

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

Certain visa holders cannot adjust status (J-1 subject to the home residency rule, D crewmember).

An O visa is not on the prohibited list though, so you should be fine to file.

Edited by Hypnos, 17 April 2013 - 03:56 PM.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

Spoiler

#6 smjb

smjb

• Pip

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Thank you so much everyone, this was very helpful and i'm relieved.

Back to Top ↑

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.