Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Adjust status after overstaying on O-1 through marriage

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi, my O-1 visa renewal got denied and it expired in October 2012.

I got married to US citizen this month (April 2013). I overstayed on my O-1 about 6 months.

Am I eligible to apply for Adjustment of Status?

I can't find much information for O-1, so if anyone has any information specifically for this visa,

that would be really helpful.

Thank you very much!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes you can. Being married with an US citizen makes your overstay "OK". My advice: don't leave the country at all until you have the Green Card on hand. Your overstay would make your return impossible. Be prepare also for some questioning by the USCIS officer in the AOS interview. They would like to know if you got married just to stay in the US because you did not get the O1 visa. You will need to explain the good faith of your marriage with photos of the marriage, personal questions... Start the process filling I-130.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Certain visa holders cannot adjust status (J-1 subject to the home residency rule, D crewmember).

An O visa is not on the prohibited list though, so you should be fine to file.

Edited by Hypnos

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.