Bill and Tanya

Why would a Russian be denied K1 visa at interview?

76 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Privet everyone! I am relatively new to the forums here, as well as to international relationships and immigration law, so I beg your forgiveness for my ignorance in advance)))

I met my fiance online last year, and after several interesting trials (check my posts here if you are curious), we are ready to marry. A good friend of mine, who I completely trust to give me good and accurate advice told me that the US consulate in Russian is extremely critical on couples applying for visa. She explained that Russia is a high visa fraud country and that meeting once is no longer acceptable in their eyes, insisting that we meet twice to have any real chance to be approved for a visa.

She also asked me to check with you guys in the RUB forum, and praised all of you for your kindness and unbiased advice. What I would like to know is do we really have to meet again? My girl has a 7 year old daughter, and besides the financial burden it will place on us to take another vacation together, it is extremely difficult for her to secure someone she trusts to watch her little girl while she leaves the country to visit a man.

Furthermore, is there any advice you can give that pertains to the US consulate in St. Petersburg that can help us not to make any mistakes, or things they like to see in lieu of a second meeting? I understand that it is not all of you I must convince that the relationship is real. All of you are no different than me in this regard. But I really love this woman and her daughter, and only want the chance to provide the life for them that I know they deserve.

Thank you for your help. I am proud to be part of this community.

ü Met online - Oct 31, 2012

ü Met in Mexico - Jan 21, 2013 Q

ü Expedited removal and 5 year ban vacated - Mar 21, 2013

ü I129F sent - Apr 16, 2013 +

ü I129F confirmed received - Apr 19, 2013

ü USCIS Acceptance Confirmation (NOA1) - Apr 25, 2013 +

ü Met in Mexico - Jun 21, 2013 Q

ü Email, petition transferred to another office - Jul 10, 2013

ü Hard copy, petition confirmed transferred to Texas - Jul 14, 2013 +

ü Email notification of NOA2 - Approved!!! (100 days) - Jul 28, 2013

ü Hard copy NOA2 - Sep 21, 2013 +

ü NVC case number - Sep 9, 2013 (

ü Hard copy NVC case number - Sep 15, 2013 +

ü Interview scheduled for Oct 4. 2013 - Approved!!!!

ü Visas received!!! - Oct 23, 2013 +

ü Port of entry - Nov 12, 2013 Q

ü Married - Dec 24, 2013

ü AOJ Interview - Jul 1, 2014

ü Green Cards Received - Jul 14, 2014 +

ü 1st anniversary -  Dec 24, 2014 

ü 2nd anniversary -  Dec 24, 2015 

ü Applied for removal of conditions - Jul 14, 2016 +

ü 3rd anniversary -  Dec 24, 2016 

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

The consulate in SPb does not do k1 interviews.

There are lots and lots of interview stories in this forum. Read and look for what others did.

Am I right in understanding that you have never gone to Russia?

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

OK, I looked at your posts, and the fact that you can't get a passport due to debt, which I had frankly never heard of happening in the US, makes it seem to me that, since a big thing is proving you can support a new US resident, is going to be your problem, not how many times you've met.

And a five year ban to boot? Wow.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

Welcome, I too have a Russian fiance and have read lots of comentary about the interview process at the Moscow embassy, I have not heard anything negative regarding Moscow, in fact most have been rather complimentary of the staff and the process. Most of the members on here will tell you not to use an attorney and it may not be necessary, however I found a Russian woman (attorney) in New York that I really like and she has been so helpful! It has also been very helpful that she can speak Russian with my fiance regarding the important details of this process, it has definitely smoothed out the bumbs for me. If you are interested I will provide you with her contact info. But to answer your question I think you will be fine.

Timeline

Privet everyone! I am relatively new to the forums here, as well as to international relationships and immigration law, so I beg your forgiveness for my ignorance in advance)))

I met my fiance online last year, and after several interesting trials (check my posts here if you are curious), we are ready to marry. A good friend of mine, who I completely trust to give me good and accurate advice told me that the US consulate in Russian is extremely critical on couples applying for visa. She explained that Russia is a high visa fraud country and that meeting once is no longer acceptable in their eyes, insisting that we meet twice to have any real chance to be approved for a visa.

She also asked me to check with you guys in the RUB forum, and praised all of you for your kindness and unbiased advice. What I would like to know is do we really have to meet again? My girl has a 7 year old daughter, and besides the financial burden it will place on us to take another vacation together, it is extremely difficult for her to secure someone she trusts to watch her little girl while she leaves the country to visit a man.

Furthermore, is there any advice you can give that pertains to the US consulate in St. Petersburg that can help us not to make any mistakes, or things they like to see in lieu of a second meeting? I understand that it is not all of you I must convince that the relationship is real. All of you are no different than me in this regard. But I really love this woman and her daughter, and only want the chance to provide the life for them that I know they deserve.

Thank you for your help. I am proud to be part of this community.

I wouldn't say that Russia is a high visa fraud country so much as a high fraud country. That is, the more common scenario is someone taking a man for his money rather than for the greencard. As such, I don't think the visa process is particularly high scrutiny for K-1. That said, a meeting in a third country on vacation, while technically sufficient to meet the requirements of the K-1, is the weakest kind of meeting. If you don't make the decision to do another meeting, you'll at least want to make sure you have solid evidence of your continuing relationship.

OK, I looked at your posts, and the fact that you can't get a passport due to debt, which I had frankly never heard of happening in the US, makes it seem to me that, since a big thing is proving you can support a new US resident, is going to be your problem, not how many times you've met.

And a five year ban to boot? Wow.

If I understood the bit about the debt right, it's a debt to the government, reimbursing for welfare payments made to support a child he didn't know he had. The US won't take your passport because you're behind on your credit card or mortgage, but if you owe the government money, it's a different story. That said, I can't see this not coming up in the immigration process. You may have the income to support so the actual affidavit of support may not be a problem, but I still think it will come up (I'm not a lawyer and I have no evidence to support this, but you probably should clarify it before it becomes an issue).

Timeline

I wouldn't say that Russia is a high visa fraud country so much as a high fraud country. That is, the more common scenario is someone taking a man for his money rather than for the greencard. As such, I don't think the visa process is particularly high scrutiny for K-1. That said, a meeting in a third country on vacation, while technically sufficient to meet the requirements of the K-1, is the weakest kind of meeting. If you don't make the decision to do another meeting, you'll at least want to make sure you have solid evidence of your continuing relationship.

If I understood the bit about the debt right, it's a debt to the government, reimbursing for welfare payments made to support a child he didn't know he had. The US won't take your passport because you're behind on your credit card or mortgage, but if you owe the government money, it's a different story. That said, I can't see this not coming up in the immigration process. You may have the income to support so the actual affidavit of support may not be a problem, but I still think it will come up (I'm not a lawyer and I have no evidence to support this, but you probably should clarify it before it becomes an issue).

This is all good and useful information. You guys are all wonderful! Thanks, and keep it coming... I am sharing all of this with my fiance in Russia, and I think will prevent us from making mistakes like we have already that must be explained or overcome.

ü Met online - Oct 31, 2012

ü Met in Mexico - Jan 21, 2013 Q

ü Expedited removal and 5 year ban vacated - Mar 21, 2013

ü I129F sent - Apr 16, 2013 +

ü I129F confirmed received - Apr 19, 2013

ü USCIS Acceptance Confirmation (NOA1) - Apr 25, 2013 +

ü Met in Mexico - Jun 21, 2013 Q

ü Email, petition transferred to another office - Jul 10, 2013

ü Hard copy, petition confirmed transferred to Texas - Jul 14, 2013 +

ü Email notification of NOA2 - Approved!!! (100 days) - Jul 28, 2013

ü Hard copy NOA2 - Sep 21, 2013 +

ü NVC case number - Sep 9, 2013 (

ü Hard copy NVC case number - Sep 15, 2013 +

ü Interview scheduled for Oct 4. 2013 - Approved!!!!

ü Visas received!!! - Oct 23, 2013 +

ü Port of entry - Nov 12, 2013 Q

ü Married - Dec 24, 2013

ü AOJ Interview - Jul 1, 2014

ü Green Cards Received - Jul 14, 2014 +

ü 1st anniversary -  Dec 24, 2014 

ü 2nd anniversary -  Dec 24, 2015 

ü Applied for removal of conditions - Jul 14, 2016 +

ü 3rd anniversary -  Dec 24, 2016 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

That said, a meeting in a third country on vacation, while technically sufficient to meet the requirements of the K-1, is the weakest kind of meeting.

Wow, my wife and I only met in another country, and only once, and for only 10 days and we were approved. That is not a true statement. You must meet in person, somewhere; USCIS doesn't care.....read next reply for more important part.

If you don't make the decision to do another meeting, you'll at least want to make sure you have solid evidence of your continuing relationship.

Bingo, this is most important.

She will have her interview in Moscow. They are an easy Embassy as long as you have all the proper documents and evidences.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

She will have her interview in Moscow. They are an easy Embassy as long as you have all the proper documents and evidences.

:thumbs:

what your fiancee is hearing is generally wrong as it applies to Fiancee/spouse visas in Moscow and ONLY Moscow does fiancee or spouse visas. Russia and Ukraine are quite difficult on tourist visa applicants but not family based visas. Read the Moscow consulate reviews for actual experiences...not rumors.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

That said, a meeting in a third country on vacation, while technically sufficient to meet the requirements of the K-1, is the weakest kind of meeting.

Sorry, SMR, you are full of it...

We never met in Ukraine until it was time for the interview. Always met in a third country. I didn't experience any issues with that and I know others have gone through K-1 process that way too.

Edited by Martyshk

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline

Sorry, SMR, you are full of it...

We never met in Ukraine until it was time for the interview. Always met in a third country. I didn't experience any issues with that and I know others have gone through K-1 process that way too.

Agreed. Makes absolutely NO difference where you meet. None. -0-

Because of visa restrictions for Americans in Russia, Russian women OFTEN meet with American men in other countries where neither needs a visa to travel. Ukraine, Dominican Republic and Turkey (Turkey actually requires a visa but they sell it to you at the POE)are examples.

The OP is operating under the disadvantage of rumors, let's not add more to it. Neither Moscow nor Kiev are difficult in dealing with family visas and neither are anything like a "high visa fraud" country.

There is no shortage of men in either country, posing as women to dupe stupid Americans out of money, and no shortage of stupid American men to send them money. These people never show up to apply for a visa and the US consulate couldn't care less. There are also a few women to do the same. US consulates strongly support "Freedom of Stupidity" as long as it is at your own expense and doesn't bother them. It is, in fact, a form of foreign aid which does not impact the National deficit and I am all for it! :thumbs:

Visa decisions are made on a body of evidence presented. It is not correct to assume that a couple that met only once and was denied, was denied BECAUSE they met only once. In fact there IS no formula to assure a visa or assure a denial and trying to prescribe the correct combination is ridiculous.

The Russian language "immigration" sites are nothing but rumor mills and gossip chats by people who have very little knowledge of the process. If anything you hear at these sites is correct, I am sure it is a lucky coincidence. Even a blind squirrel can find an acorn now and again

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The Russian language "immigration" sites are nothing but rumor mills and gossip chats by people who have very little knowledge of the process.

My wife will attest to that. In the beginning, she was reading some of those and some of our early conversations revolved about the reality of life in the US versus what she was reading on those site......Gary's Alla meeting in person with my Alla also gave validity to what I was telling her was the real truth.

OP, if you want my wife can call your gal on the phone or Skype and they can chat real-time. Your call.

Timeline

I think what I said is being stretched beyond what I meant. In terms of establishing a relationship and evidence of that relationship, a meeting in a third country is typically weaker than a meeting in either home country. I'm not trying to say that it doesn't happen all the time or that approval is impossible or even especially difficult from that situation. My point is only that if you meet in one of the home countries you get the benefit of building the relationship in a different way. You will typically meet each other's family. You see the other person's home and way of life. In the OP's situation, for example, having met the child of his fiancee would be something that could strengthen the story. In fact, it's not unlikely that an interviewer may ask her if he has met the child. Obviously, a 'no' wouldn't mean denial, but 'yes' would be better.

Of course, it's the balance of proof of relationship that tells the tale. Beyond the requirement of an in person meeting in the last two years, no particular evidence is absolutely required relationship wise. It's completely possible to be approved with nothing else. My advice to the OP is that if you don't have the money/time/opportunity for more trips to meet families or just see each other in a third country again, then you focus more on other types of proof of relationship. If you re-read my original post, that is what I said. "If you don't make the decision to do another meeting, you'll at least want to make sure you have solid evidence of your continuing relationship." That is solid advice. Continuing to meet is the best way to demonstrate an ongoing relationship. If you can't do that, you'd better do something.

Timeline

Continuing to meet is the best way to demonstrate an ongoing relationship

Actually I could make an argument to the contrary, pure meetings alone, and proof of multiple meetings do not s relationship make.

But generating good and different evidences do help to prove a legitimate relationship.....for example what me wife and I did was to take Skype screenshot or snapshots of each other for example of her and Leonid as we talked on Skype....or.... when she was visiting her folks I took snapshot of her and her folks as we all talked on Skype.

I've still never personally met her folks but we talk and see each other all the time.

Using the modern communication mediums is a big advantage.

As I always state over in the K-1 forum,

Purposefully generate different kinds of evidences; you have to convince a total stranger, the Embassy CO, that you have a legit relationship and that it is not for illegal

immigration purposes

Timeline

I think what I said is being stretched beyond what I meant. In terms of establishing a relationship and evidence of that relationship, a meeting in a third country is typically weaker than a meeting in either home country. I'm not trying to say that it doesn't happen all the time or that approval is impossible or even especially difficult from that situation. My point is only that if you meet in one of the home countries you get the benefit of building the relationship in a different way. You will typically meet each other's family. You see the other person's home and way of life. In the OP's situation, for example, having met the child of his fiancee would be something that could strengthen the story. In fact, it's not unlikely that an interviewer may ask her if he has met the child. Obviously, a 'no' wouldn't mean denial, but 'yes' would be better.

Of course, it's the balance of proof of relationship that tells the tale. Beyond the requirement of an in person meeting in the last two years, no particular evidence is absolutely required relationship wise. It's completely possible to be approved with nothing else. My advice to the OP is that if you don't have the money/time/opportunity for more trips to meet families or just see each other in a third country again, then you focus more on other types of proof of relationship. If you re-read my original post, that is what I said. "If you don't make the decision to do another meeting, you'll at least want to make sure you have solid evidence of your continuing relationship." That is solid advice. Continuing to meet is the best way to demonstrate an ongoing relationship. If you can't do that, you'd better do something.

SMR this is simply a ridiculous statement. You have nothing to support that other than imagination or speculation or rumor. Period. There is no such thing as a "preference" of where a meeting occurs. same country? Same Oblast? Same city? SMR, be serious, think about this.

I met Alla 6 times during our relatively short processing, about every 3-4 weeks. Once in Prague (OH NO! Another country!) and only once in Donetsk, where my wife lived. Is it weaker that we met in Kiev, Odessa? Because she does not live there? Where does one draw this "typically weaker" line? The city limits? The Oblast? How does being in a third country make the relationship any "weaker"?

Our visa interview was NO QUESTIONS ASKED. I know of others who were requested additional information and NONE were requested to provide additional evidence of meeting with the home country of either of the parties to the marriage.

Have you EVER actually heard such a thing, SMR? Have you ever heard of a case where the parties were asked to prove they had met in their home countries?Can you find even ONE reference to this in any instructions or suggested evidence from either USCIS or DOS?

Please, this site is far beyond spreading nonsense.

There is no such thing SMR

The advantages you point out are REAL and beneficial but have nothing to do with visas or immigration. Yes, I met Alla's mother and children, and both of us wanted that, but we provided NO evidence of that at any point in the process and no one asked.

You need to separate what is personally beneficial to a relationship from what is required to obtain a visa in Russia or Ukraine. Not Morocco or United Arab Emirates or VietNam or Afghanistan.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.