masha2012

2013 poverty guidelines

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Does it really matter? At some point soon USCIS will update their site with the new guidelines. The OP was merely showing people what they should expect in the near future. To you the increase may not seem significant, only a few hundreds dollars, but to may people struggling in this economy that few hundred dollars could mean the difference between need a joint sponsor or not.....

It matters only in that people need to be careful not to take random information they find on the internet as gospel. When I first started looking into this process there was another website (that would get "URL removed" if I try to link it) that I was using first. It was the first one to come up in a search and there seemed to be a lot of good information... it was and it wasn't. Turns out that site was more for people from high-fraud countries and a lot of the information wasn't relevant to me (especially when it got to the embassy side of things).

Sure, this WILL be the new guidelines but exactly as you said, the small change will make a difference for some people, and freaking them out with "new" levels that haven't been added by USCIS yet is pointless. It's also good though for them to be aware of how it will change and if it's possible to earn more in time for when they file, then this will be a good guideline.

But again, until the I-864P is updated is isn't the level that USCIS or the different countries follow.

I would believe this when the USICS website updates. I myself tend to not read much into anything legal in this case unless it ends in .gov

Exactly, and when it comes to USCIS, unless it's on THEIR site as the new I-864P it's not the "new" guidelines at all. Will be, maybe, but isn't yet.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Considering that the current guidelines say 2012, it would be pretty safe to consider that they'll be updated with the current information since we are in 2013.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here's a thought, assume the higher of the two answers, better safe than sorry. I assume the USCIS will update itself soon enough, and exceeding the minimums will only make your process easier.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

check this out.. it is new 2013 poverty guidelines http://www.tnvisaexpert.com/articles/minimum-income-requirement/

Thank you Masha. Too bad more than half your thread is taken up by "experts" on how many ghosts can dance on the head of a pin. USCIS uses poverty guidelines for ONLY one purpose, Adjustment of Status.

I never have to be awake more than a few minutes to be reminded WHY I married a Ukrainian. :lol:

FWIW, the US consulates apply (if they use them at all, since consulates are not required to use them for issuing visas)the new guidelines on April 1. This would apply to K-1/K-2 visas and about nothing else. HHS guidelines take efeect March 1 for other means tested benefits. I know this is exceedingly hard to believe but the guidelines are NOT for the purpose of immigration but for the purpose of increasing or decreasing people in poverty as it serves the agenda of politicians. Raising the poverty levels creates more people "in poverty" and a greater "need" for increased government subsidies to increase the population of obese poor people. (We do have the best fed poor people in the world! :dance: ) Obama was heavily criticized for increasing food stamp dependence 40% during his first term and now needs to make it appear the number of impoverished people is increasing at a slower rate...hence small increases in the poverty level. after all, if the economy is improving there must be less poor people. Note that poverty levels have not decreased, but will now increase at a lower rate VICTORY! Without having to lay off anyone employed by the poverty industry!

USCIS can apply the new guidelines whenever they choose but it applies ONLY to I-864 forms processed by USCIS...Adjustment of Status. NVC is the Department of STATE, not USCIS and they apply the new guidelines April 1 for the issuance of IR/CR visas.

Otherwise, USCIS is out of the game as they do not issue visas and poverty guidelines are not used for petitions and not used for the I-134 necessarily, EVER.

For the vast majority of applicants who realize that trying to manage a family of two people on $19,000 per year ($9.13 per hour)is ridiculous...the guidelines are not an issue at all.

Another misconception is that the guidelines are some official government declaration that you can live on this amount of money. It is not. It is the level which is used to say "you need help from the government to survive because that ain't enough" In fact you (US citizen) can collect food stamps at up to 1.8 times the poverty guidelines and medicaid at up to 3 times poverty guidelines (depends on state contributions)

But your immigrant spouse is not eligible for those benefits, so too bad for you. If you are making close to the guidelines...you need a better job or to delay your wedding.

USCIS mis-uses the guidelines (they had to use something) as the minimum you need to be making so that the government can garnish your wages and get back their money if you default on the I-864. They do not care if you live in a refrigerator box under a bridge.

FWIW, seven ghosts can dance on the head of a pin. :D

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Here's a thought, assume the higher of the two answers, better safe than sorry. I assume the USCIS will update itself soon enough, and exceeding the minimums will only make your process easier.

Not a bad thought at all, really

Here is another. You are doing this to GET MARRIED, that is a lifetime commitment, it is not the Prom or a dinner date.

The "process" gets entirely too much focus as the "process" is such a miniscule part of LIFE what does it amount to but a maybe a couple dozen hours and a couple thousand $$. Painting a house is comparatively FAR MORE difficult and expensive.

This is about life and if you think the poverty gudielines or the status updates or Igor's list are anything but a waste of time...you are dreaming!

If you are near the poverty guidelines, get another job NOW. You have plenty to do without checking status updates that never change until you get approved or get an RFE. It is worse than watching paint dry. GRASS moves faster if you watch it close enough.

We have an I-130 in since June for Alla's mom. I have not checked the poverty guidelines and could not care less, I am not worried about that. If I was we would not have filed the petition. :wacko:

I have never checked her case status but I HAVE been building out her room and adding a small bathroom in the room that used to be Sergey's. I hope she does not get her visa before I finish the room! Alla, having been through this herself with 2 sons, does not ask about case status but DOES ask when I will be doing the ceramic tile.

LIFE. Visas are just a ticket you use to get in the door. LIFE is every day, all day, forever. Prepare for LIFE

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I have to agree with Gary and Alla. :thumbs:

If you trying to make a living in the US on those guidelines you really need awakening call. What is really interesting that the guidelines for 48 states are exactly the same. Well here is a reality. To rent a 1 bedroom appartment in Metropolitan DC area will run you about $1500-2000 a month. And even that is already above the minimum poverty just for an appartment. So guess what there are a lot of bridges, so you probably will end up living under one of them if you only make the poverty line and trying to raise a family. However you could find similar appartment in another state (Nevada) for only $600-700 a month. So where is the true poverty???

Just think about that for a second when you think oh I make 2K more than a guideline, so I can afford a family.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Pleas sign the following white house petitiontk speed up K1 Visas its getting longer and longe....

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/speed-process-getting-k-1-fiance-visa/zzmYKpCN#thank-you=p

• 7 months later...

I live with my parents, but I don't pay anything except my car and my own bills.

I earn about $19000 a year before taxes...

For the poverty guidelines where it says family size... Would that just mean ME & my Fiance who will be coming?

I don't have any dependents on my tax.

Established: 01/07/07

Married: 09/20/14

heart.gif I'll buy you rogaine, when you start losing all your hair wub.png

========================================================

SOCIAL MEDIA

Facebook

+ Kit: http://www.facebook.com/kitsalbinoteodosio

+ Richard: http://www.facebook.com/richard.teodosio

Instagram

+ Kit: itsmekit

+ Richard: richteodosio

Twitter

+ Kit: KIT_RJST

Youtube

+ Kit: http://www.youtube.com/user/kits671

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.