Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Student visa married to green card holder ( citizen in 2 years)

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone

A friend of mine is in a very weird situation , could you help her ?

I never encounter this case before.

Her fiance and they will get married soon .

She is under student visa ( F1) and he is green card holder , he will be citizen in 28 months .

She planning to work under OPT at the end of my program in December 2013.

So she will work January 2014 to January 2015. Plus she will stay during my 60 days of grace so for now she is sure to stay until March 2015 with her husband.

In August 2015 her husband will get the citizenship and will sponsor her to get a green card . So between March and August what are her possibilities ?

If he sponsor her right after our marriage while still under his green card should she get her status adjusted in august 2015 and receive the green card this month or should she wait 5-6 month after August ?

Thanks !

Edited by Maria91

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

How can you be sure that "he will be citizen in 28 months"? The length of the naturalization process is uncertain and there are some people for whom it has taken more than a year.

She may be able to find a job during OPT that will sponsor her for an H1b visa, so it is possible that she will still be in legal status when he gets citizenship.

If she isn't able to do that, and her authorized stay ends before he applies for citizenship, I would be worried (I don't have any knowledge about this; just guessing) that maybe it will come up during his citizenship application that his spouse is staying in the U.S. illegally; and that maybe it will negatively impact his citizenship application. Maybe someone who has more experience with this can chime in.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

F2A (spouse and children of LPR) immigrant visa numbers are currently available for priority dates prior to October 2010: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5856.html

That is approx 27 months ago. But for petitions filed now, the time until a number is available could be greater or less than 27 months. If it ends up being less than 26 months, then an I-130 filed within the next few weeks for her (as the wife of an LPR) would let her file to adjust status before her post-OPT grace period expires. And if it takes longer than 28 months, once the husband becomes a USC he can notify USCIS to "upgrade" the petition. Worst case, she'd have to either leave the country for a couple of months during the gap, find another temporary nonimmigrant status, or go out of status for a short period (this might be a pretty bad idea since ICE has been tough on F-1 overstays recently). In any event it seems that for now the best thing for them to do is marry ASAP and file that I-130. Then see how things develop over the next couple of years.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.