lostinblue

Obamacare-Smokers and the obese face penalties

59 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

In the insurance world they are in the business of taking your premium dollars and then finding any excuse possible to give the money to their CEO and investors rather than return it to you when you need it. It may be "lost $$$" to them but looking at it from the point of view of the ordinary consumer it is the opposite! :bonk:

Not really. Insurance companies would be charging A LOT more if they made money off of your premiums. They make their money on investment returns from those premiums, not the premiums themselves.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Timeline
Next thing you know, they will pay you to exercise, or go to a health class.

We've had those for as long as I've been with my employer. Free health classes, rock bottom gym, incentives to not smoke/quit smoking - all of that amounting to hundreds of dollars worth of incentives to make lifestyle changes and live a healthier life. Never seemed to have been an issue until a black man moved into the White House.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

A lot of companies that offer health insurance to their employees, mine included, have a "smoking penalty" ... those employees who smoke are paying more for their insurance.

And a number of insurance companies specifically exclude obesity-related health problems.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

We've had those for as long as I've been with my employer. Free health classes, rock bottom gym, incentives to not smoke/quit smoking - all of that amounting to hundreds of dollars worth of incentives to make lifestyle changes and live a healthier life. Never seemed to have been an issue until a black man moved into the White House.

My HMO really pushes all those classes, most of them are included free. They will even give you the services of a dietitian, if you can't figure out how to eat healthy yourself, and when the weather improves in spring, they have a farmer's market once a week. First and second questions they ask when they take you vitals are, "Do you smoke?" and "Do you drink?"

And a number of insurance companies specifically exclude obesity-related health problems.

They can do that if you have to buy the insurance yourself, but if you get your insurance through your employer, they pretty much have to take anybody, although some employers are charging smokers more for their share. One retailer is charging $50 extra every two weeks, for each employer and each spouse that smokes. Annual weigh-ins can't be far behind.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

They can do that if you have to buy the insurance yourself, but if you get your insurance through your employer, they pretty much have to take anybody, although some employers are charging smokers more for their share. One retailer is charging $50 extra every two weeks, for each employer and each spouse that smokes. Annual weigh-ins can't be far behind.

Um, no. :no:

Last two company policies have had this exclusion.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Um, no. :no:

Last two company policies have had this exclusion.

Then I would suggest they have a cause of action under ERISA, if the company has 20 or more employees. Under that number, the employer usually gets a group plan that is not that different from private insurance.

It has been a while, but if I remember right, if the company health plan has more than two employees, for the health plan to be deductible (at least for the employer as self-employed health deduction) as a business expense, it has to meet certain minimum coverages as well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Universal health care?

Private insurance carriers have been covering the costs of smokers, obese, diabetics, etc and were condemned for charging too much, for not being fair, for disqualifying "certain people". We were told the government would not do that, that it would be "for everyone" :lol: Well, everyone except....because THEY....and YOU should not have to pay for them....OR them....OR them...OR....

As usual, government health care will not be about healthcare, it will be about social manipulation, just as our tax code is not about revenue. THIS is what happens when politicians control anything. The idiots everyone likes to make fun of for their outlandish beliefs...now run your health care!

As costs spiral out of control (does that ever happen with government programs?) they will "punish" more people, until they get to YOU or someone you care about...like maybe an immigrant spouse that they may decide should not be covered for 5 years after they arrive. Who knows?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Universal health care?

Private insurance carriers have been covering the costs of smokers, obese, diabetics, etc and were condemned for charging too much, for not being fair, for disqualifying "certain people". We were told the government would not do that, that it would be "for everyone" :lol: Well, everyone except....because THEY....and YOU should not have to pay for them....OR them....OR them...OR....

As usual, government health care will not be about healthcare, it will be about social manipulation, just as our tax code is not about revenue. THIS is what happens when politicians control anything. The idiots everyone likes to make fun of for their outlandish beliefs...now run your health care!

As costs spiral out of control (does that ever happen with government programs?) they will "punish" more people, until they get to YOU or someone you care about...like maybe an immigrant spouse that they may decide should not be covered for 5 years after they arrive. Who knows?

Well, for a leech on the government dole, you're sure complaining a lot about the hand that feeds you.

That was the point I was trying to make. I guess I didn't do a very good job.

What you are failing to take into consideration is the amount of money that will be saved on the health insurance/medical expenses end by people living healthier lives. Those savings, in my opinion, will more than offset any extra money needed for social security disbursements. Take that money saved and apply it to the social security program. In other words, we're already paying the money needed for the social security program, but we're paying it into health care costs for people who livce unhealthy, high risk lifestyles.

Well, for a leech on the government dole, you're sure complaining a lot about the hand that feeds you.

:lol:

Gary's got a lot of free time on his hands now to think about these things.

:lol:

Gary's got a lot of free time on his hands now to think about these things.

You're just jealous he's living the American dream and we're paying for it!

You're just jealous he's living the American dream and we're paying for it!

Dude's got it all going on now. I wonder if he separates the whites from the colors.