MariahVine

WHAT TO WRITE IN UNEMPLOYMENT LETTER??

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

On my i-864 form I stated that I am employed. Told them everything about out situation... I am in Australia with my husband waiting for this visa, but when I had to go back to America last Feb (Aus govt denied extending my visa), I got employment for the 2 months I was there. Knowing I planned on going back to Australia, my employer guaranteed me work upon returning to America. I got 2 letters from my employer and submitted that to NVC. Though I am still technically an employee of the company, NVC considers it that I don't have work right now, thus being unemployed. I understand it to a point..I know and stated to them that I am not getting current, constant income from them. It's a bit hard to be living in Australia waiting for this FOREVER long process and at the same time earning money in America. My mom is a joint sponsor and has been approved with all of her info. I wrongly thought the govt would appreciate seeing that I have WORK STRIGHT AWAY when I get to America to support my husband-who also has two job offers in the US. This is what NVC sent to me...

General Instructions

[x] The checklist below indicates missing or incomplete documents.

Supporting Documents Missing or Incomplete

[x] It appears that there is no proof of current employment (a recently dated job letter or pay stub), or of

self-employment status (a recently dated letter on business letterhead or a business license).

According to the lady at NVC, I just need to write a letter saying that I am unemployed. It also doesn't seem to matter to the govt about the work I have when I get to the States. She also said that I don't need to re-do the i-864, or that it doesn't matter if I redo it (since it isn't listed under the checklist). That doesn't make sense because on the I-864 that they have from me, I say I am employed. Now I am told to write a letter stating my unemployment. Sounds like a bit of a contradiction to me. But really, should I expect anything else from the US govt?

Any advice on what to say in my unemployment letter? Should it be as simple and short as this:

To Whom It May Concern,

I am currently not working, thus making me unemployed.

What other information do they need? I have already told them everything regarding every little detail of our situation. And any suggestions on whether I should re-do the i-864 form and change it from employed to being unemployed??

This was also from the NVC... on the page above the checklist.. does it sound like on here that I need to submit a new I-864???

______F - FINANCIAL EVIDENCE:______________________________________

A review of the I-864, I-864EZ, I-864W or I-864A (if applicable) Affidavit of Support form and

supporting documents that you submitted has revealed that you have provided incomplete information in

your response or you have not responded to some questions.

Please pay specific attention to the questions marked in the attached I-864/A checklist. You will need to

complete and submit a new form with the changes noted on the attached checklist.

You will need to follow the instructions for the Affidavit of Support (I-864) that are posted on the

Department of State website at the following address:

www.ImmigrantVisas.state.gov. From there, you can fill out a new form online, print the new

completed form and mail it to NVC. If you are the Petitioner, please read all instructions and complete

the correct form to submit to NVC. An Affidavit of Support form is required to be submitted from the

Petitioner on each case regardless of his/her income level.

NVC will hold this case until you send us these needed items. When you return the documents to NVC,

please make sure that the documents submitted are in the correct order and stapled together, as stated in

the I-864 Important Notice instructions.

When responding to the National Visa Center, please include the bar code sheet that came with this

letter. Failure to include the bar code sheet may cause a delay in the processing of your case. The bar

code sheet should be placed on top of all documents being submitted for this case and mailed to the

address provided

Someone PLEASE help!!!

Edited by MariahVine

I am also unemployed, I just graduated from college.. I just wrote a letter to NVC and stated

the reason why I am unemployed and I included it on my I-864 which I submitted to them

and they accepted it. Well, just state the reason why you are unemployed. Goodluck! :)

I am the USC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

I'd do a new form and attach the letter to it. Operators, whether at USCIS or NVC are notoriously misinformed.

USC married to Palestinian lived in Doha, Qatar for seven years, in the USA since July 2013 with an eight year old and a two year old smile.png

USCIS - 37 days
12.13.12: Sent I-130 from abroad
12.16.12: Delivered to Chicago Lock Box
12.19.12: NOA1 - E-mail, MSC number
12.21.12: Case showed up online
01.25.13: NOA2
01.30.13: Email from USCIS - Post Decision Activity - Case sent to NVC
NVC - 28 Days
02.05.13: NVC Received
02.22.13: Case/IIN Received

AOS Track
02.26.13: AOS bill invoiced
02.27.13: Pay AOS bill
03.06.13: AOS bill shows PAID
03.07.13: AOS package sent

IV Track
02.23.13: DS-3032 sent
03.03.13: DS-3032 re-sent for Supervisor Review
03.04.13: DS-3032 accepted
03.06.13: First DS-3032 accepted!
03.05.13: IV bill invoiced
03.06.13: Pay IV bill
03.07.13: IV bill shows PAID
03.07.13: IV package sent

03.11.13: AOS and IV Packages delivered to NVC
03.20.13: IV Package Accepted
03.22.13: Case complete
03.29.13: Interview scheduled - Email
04.02.13: Case left NVC
Consulate
04.04.13: Case received
04.08.13 - Medical
04.28.13 - Interview - Approved

05.02.13 - Visa In Hand
07.21.13 - POE (Washington D.C.)

Gearing up to apply for Naturalization in April 2016!

I am also living abroad with my spouse, unemployed and had to write a letter. I stated that I was unemployed and that we were living off my husband's income which is not included in the AOS as it will not be our income once we get to the states. We also had my mother as our joint sponsor. I haven't heard back from them yet but I hope that's all they need. We had to write a couple of (seemingly pointless) explanation letters during our process, just seems to be the way it goes.

August 2008 - We met (Both living in Egypt)

October 2008 - Moved in together

Sept. 2010 - Engaged (Living together in Cyprus)

June 2011 - Married!

11 July 2012 - I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

20 July 2012 - NOA1 Received (via email)

29 July 2012 - NOA2 Received (I-797)

23 Aug 2012 - NVC Case Number assigned and AOS invoice received (via email)

27 Aug 2012 - AOS bill paid and DS-3032 sent via email

5 Oct 2012 - AOS packet sent

20 Nov 2012 - RFE on AOS packet received

16 Dec 2012 - IV bill paid

25 Jan 2013 - IV packet and AOS RFE response sent

22 Feb 2013 - Case Complete

6 March 2013 - Interview date rec'd

10 April 2013 - Medical Scheduled

12 April 2013 - Interview

01 Oct 2013 - Entered US

Timeline

I am also unemployed, I just graduated from college.. I just wrote a letter to NVC and stated

the reason why I am unemployed and I included it on my I-864 which I submitted to them

and they accepted it. Well, just state the reason why you are unemployed. Goodluck! :)

Thanks for that.. glad they accepted it. Hope they will accept mine!

Timeline

I'd do a new form and attach the letter to it. Operators, whether at USCIS or NVC are notoriously misinformed.

I was thinking that too although the lady said I didn't need to..like you said they are misinformed. The i-864 that they already have for me says I am employed and if I send them a letter saying I am unemployed?? I think it is better to just re-do the I-864 ..think they will put that aganist me? Because the checklist doesn't say to send a new i-864?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

They shouldn't hold it against you, state in the letter that you're writing this at their request and you're attaching a new amended I-864 to reflect the letter that they asked you to write.

USC married to Palestinian lived in Doha, Qatar for seven years, in the USA since July 2013 with an eight year old and a two year old smile.png

USCIS - 37 days
12.13.12: Sent I-130 from abroad
12.16.12: Delivered to Chicago Lock Box
12.19.12: NOA1 - E-mail, MSC number
12.21.12: Case showed up online
01.25.13: NOA2
01.30.13: Email from USCIS - Post Decision Activity - Case sent to NVC
NVC - 28 Days
02.05.13: NVC Received
02.22.13: Case/IIN Received

AOS Track
02.26.13: AOS bill invoiced
02.27.13: Pay AOS bill
03.06.13: AOS bill shows PAID
03.07.13: AOS package sent

IV Track
02.23.13: DS-3032 sent
03.03.13: DS-3032 re-sent for Supervisor Review
03.04.13: DS-3032 accepted
03.06.13: First DS-3032 accepted!
03.05.13: IV bill invoiced
03.06.13: Pay IV bill
03.07.13: IV bill shows PAID
03.07.13: IV package sent

03.11.13: AOS and IV Packages delivered to NVC
03.20.13: IV Package Accepted
03.22.13: Case complete
03.29.13: Interview scheduled - Email
04.02.13: Case left NVC
Consulate
04.04.13: Case received
04.08.13 - Medical
04.28.13 - Interview - Approved

05.02.13 - Visa In Hand
07.21.13 - POE (Washington D.C.)

Gearing up to apply for Naturalization in April 2016!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.