one...two...tree

Gen. Stanley McChrystal backs banning assault weapons

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

19485_540555172622132_1620239808_n.jpg

Retired Gen. Stanley McChrystal backed banning assault weapons on Tuesday, saying guns like the M4 and M16 belong in the hands of soldiers, not on the streets.

"I spent a career carrying typically either a M16 and later, a M4 carbine," McChrystal said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe." "And a M4 carbine fires a .223 caliber round, which is 5.56 millimeters, at about 3,000 feet per second. When it hits a human body, the effects are devastating. It's designed to do that. That's what our soldiers ought to carry."

He added, "I personally don't think there's any need for that kind of weaponry on the streets and particularly around the schools in America. I believe that we've got to take a serious look — I understand everybody's desire to have whatever they want — we have to protect our children and our police and we have to protect our population. And I think we have to take a very mature look at that."

McChrystal, who resigned as the top commander in Afghanistan after a Rolling Stone article portrayed him criticizing President Barack Obama, was promoting his memoir, "My Share of the Task."

Obama is preparing to introduce legislation aiming to prevent mass shootings by the end of the month. Vice President Joe Biden is leading a task force on the issue and is reportedly considering a ban on assault weapons.

"I think we have to look at this legislation," McChrystal said. "The number of people killed by firearms is extraordinary compared to other nations. I don't think we're a bloodthirsty culture, and we need to look at everything we can do to safeguard our people."

Read more: http://www.politico....l#ixzz2HWfhGeTn

Edited by Lincolns mullet

You mean it's legal for Joe Citizen to go out and purchase an M16? When did this happen?

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

[quote name=^_^' timestamp='1357776309' post='5912926]

Smart guy.

He's absolutely brilliant. Read the first few sentences in the OP and then google M16 and M4 so you have a better clue on it then a few of the previous posters on this thread.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

[quote name=^_^' timestamp='1357776487' post='5912935]

Do I sense a mancrush?

I forgot to use the sarcasm tag. I took it for granted that you would catch that without me having to use the tag.

sigbet.jpg

Filed: Timeline

You mean it's legal for Joe Citizen to go out and purchase an M16? When did this happen?

The way an M-16 is usually used, in semi-automatic, is no different that the civilian version. The only real difference is the ability to select full auto on earlier models, and three round burst, on later models.

Retired Gen. Stanley McChrystal backed banning assault weapons on Tuesday, saying guns like the M4 and M16 belong in the hands of soldiers, not on the streets.

"I spent a career carrying typically either a M16 and later, a M4 carbine," McChrystal said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe." "And a M4 carbine fires a .223 caliber round, which is 5.56 millimeters, at about 3,000 feet per second. When it hits a human body, the effects are devastating. It's designed to do that. That's what our soldiers ought to carry."

He added, "I personally don't think there's any need for that kind of weaponry on the streets and particularly around the schools in America. I believe that we've got to take a serious look — I understand everybody's desire to have whatever they want — we have to protect our children and our police and we have to protect our population. And I think we have to take a very mature look at that."

McChrystal, who resigned as the top commander in Afghanistan after a Rolling Stone article portrayed him criticizing President Barack Obama, was promoting his memoir, "My Share of the Task."

Obama is preparing to introduce legislation aiming to prevent mass shootings by the end of the month. Vice President Joe Biden is leading a task force on the issue and is reportedly considering a ban on assault weapons.

"I think we have to look at this legislation," McChrystal said. "The number of people killed by firearms is extraordinary compared to other nations. I don't think we're a bloodthirsty culture, and we need to look at everything we can do to safeguard our people."

Looks like a fromer 4 stat would know that a .223 and 5.56 are not the same round Firing a 5.56 in a .223chamber can cause major problems.

The way an M-16 is usually used, in semi-automatic, is no different that the civilian version. The only real difference is the ability to select full auto on earlier models, and three round burst, on later models.

No facts. This is P&R and certain elements get confused when you introduce facts in the debate. That said, when you listen to what McChrystal said on the program, it is clear that he supports substantive action on gun control. He actually talks about little patches on the edges aren't good enough. And he says that firearms - not our people, not our culture, or anything else - are responsible for the extraordinary amount of firearm deaths we have in this country. He gets it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzvC2MF0OSk

Why would anyone be surprised a General, who has spent a lifetime living with tightly controlled weapons regulations would not be for Gun control ?

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

It sounds like he has an issue with the round. I suppose he would support ammo regulation on the powder charge.

Looks like a fromer 4 stat would know that a .223 and 5.56 are not the same round Firing a 5.56 in a .223chamber can cause major problems.

Sometimes, not always. Most weapons chambered for .223 will fire a 5.56 without any problem.

In Technical Note #74 from ArmaLite, the company states “millions of rounds of NATO ammunition have been fired safely in Eagle Arms and ArmaLite’s® SAAMI chambers over the past 22 years,” and they have not had any catastrophic failures.

According to ArmaLite:

“Occasionally a non-standard round (of generally imported) ammunition will fit too tightly in the leade, and resistance to early bullet movement can cause elevated chamber pressures. These pressures are revealed by overly flattened primers or by powder stains around the primer that reveal leaking gasses.”

American ammunition manufacturers would rather your fire their more expensive ammo, that buy imported ammo at less than one-tenth the price.

Edited by The Patriot

As you pointed out the M16 has full auto capabilities along with three round burst. That right there makes it illegal.

sigbet.jpg