d and c

Want to adopt my friend daughter

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello,

I'm a usc and my long time friends want me to adopt their 7yr old daughter to bring here from Ghana. How do I do it.

Both of the parents live in Ghana and so is their daughter. How likely for this to happen and what are the steps that need to be taken?

thanks

Edited by d and c

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Zero chances.

The US will not issue a visa to an a adopted child when the primary purpose of the adoption is US immigration.

When two parents are alive, you are friends or related with the family you want to adopt from, and you want to adopt so she can immigrate to the US, the US will say no to a visa because you are only a parent on paper. She will always call her biological parents her real parent. You only adopted her to bring her to the US.

This is not my personal opinion. This is how the US sees these situations.

Read up on adoptions and immigration to the US. There are very strict rules to prevent fraud. An adopted child does not automatically get an immigration visa. The USC adopted parent must prove in a situation like yours that it is truly an adoption for real and not just to help out your friends and their child.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Adoption

You would need to appoint a Ghanain Family Lawyer. I have no idea of the legal process.

Coming to the US

Presumably you are looking at a F1 Student Visa, you have posted in the wrong section, hopefully a Mod will move it. Have you contacted any Schools? You need to discuss process/costs with their International admissions officer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I'm a usc and my long time friends want me to adopt their 7yr old daughter to bring here from Ghana. How do I do it.

Both of the parents live in Ghana and so is their daughter. How likely for this to happen and what are the steps that need to be taken?

thanks

totally illegal....her parents cannot just put the child up for the lowest bidder or hand her over to some third party...and trying to do an end run using tourist or student visas will likely fail because VOs around the world are more than aware of the issues facing sending unaccompanied children to the US for some alleged purpose...without their parents....and for good reason.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The childs parent would need to die, you and your husband would need to live with the child in your custody in Ghana for 2 years, then you can apply for adoptive visa.

Edited by NigeriaorBust

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

The childs parent would need to die, you and your husband would need to live with the child in your custody in Ghana for 2 years, then you can apply for adoptive visa.

Well eversince she was born, her parents name me as a second Mom for her. They even wanted me to adopt her right away. but I decided to wait. I even provide financial support for her since she was burn. Please note that this has nothing with her only coming here for citizenship status. The girl is like my daughter. She gets anything she wants from me. I went to see her last summer and will go back this summer. So, how do I bring her here to live with me. Thanks

Well eversince she was born, her parents name me as a second Mom for her. They even wanted me to adopt her right away. but I decided to wait. I even provide financial support for her since she was burn. Please note that this has nothing with her only coming here for citizenship status. The girl is like my daughter. She gets anything she wants from me. I went to see her last summer and will go back this summer. So, how do I bring her here to live with me. Thanks

Sorry but it has been explained, that based on the conditions in this child life now and yours you donot have any avenue avavilble to be able to legally adopt the child to have the child to go through the US immigration process. With this said, you can adopt the child in it's said country and the child can continue to reside there in their home country with you or without you now as her legal parents. This will not open availability for you to be able to bring the child into the US with the immigration rules and process that is presently in place.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Nothing you can do, does not matter if they named you as second mom since day one or since whenever your friend was preg.

You provide for her or not is you doing out of your heart and immigration has nothing to do with it.

For immigration purpose she is not your child and hence she is not eligible for the immigration benefits thru you.

Timeline

None of that matters.

The child has two parents which makes immigration almost impossible after a non-Hague adoption.

If you want to adopt, then go ahead.

If you want to bring your adopted child to the US to live with you, then you are required to go live in Ghana for two years to prove you are a real parent (and not just a parent on paper) before the child can get an immigration visa.

There is nothing else you can do to bring the child to the US.

Filed: Timeline

none of this trumps current U.S. law...period.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The US is full of best friends, aunts, sisters and cousins that know their little relatives life would be so much better in the US. This is especially true of little girls. Every one of these well meaning people want to make this little one theirs and bring them over. It just doesn't work that way. My husband has 21 sbilings so we could have a village full of little ones if it worked that way. There are some countries that have adoption agreements covered by the Hague rules and then there are the others. Ghana falls into the others. To make sure you aren't bringing a relative over it is nearly impossible to adopt for immigration purposes a child with living parents. To make sure that you are committed to the process they want you to have lived in the childs country for at least 2 years as that childs parent. For an adoption of a child where the parents aren't dead those parents would need to release the child for adoption and NOT be involved with the child after that point. I am sure you don't want to sever your friends relationship with their child. Many people spend lots of money rigging an adoption in their home country that fails to meet immigration rules so the child will remain in the other country , now with no parent there. If you care about the child , pay for the eduation and care. Usually US dollars do moer overseas than they can here.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Thanks everyone that contributed their advice to my post. I will not do the adoption instead just continue to help her out. So I will only go there to see the girl instead of bringing her here to live with me. Hopefully her parents win the DV then it will be possible for them to live here with their daughter.

Thanks all & good night. :content:

Timeline

Thanks everyone that contributed their advice to my post. I will not do the adoption instead just continue to help her out. So I will only go there to see the girl instead of bringing her here to live with me. Hopefully her parents win the DV then it will be possible for them to live here with their daughter.

Thanks all & good night. :content:

You stated the adoption was to make the girl your adopted daughter and not to get her a beneficiary benefit. So, if her parents can immigrate to the US, "it will be possible for them to live here with THEIR daughter." So, it seems that living in America is more important than her becoming your daughter. This is why the "adopting my friends' daughter" because I want her to be my daughter and not for an immigration benefit is BS to US immigration. The adoption is only for an immigration benefits because everyone with common sense knows that she will always have two real parents in Ghana who she calls mother and father. She would also have an adopted Mother who brought her to the US to live and who she calls auntie.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

You stated the adoption was to make the girl your adopted daughter and not to get her a beneficiary benefit. So, if her parents can immigrate to the US, "it will be possibly for them to live here with THEIR daughter." So, it seems that living in America is more important than her becoming your daughter. This is why the "adopting my friends' daughter" because I want her to be my daughter and not for an immigration benefit is BS to US immigration. The adoption is only for an immigration benefits because everyone with common sense knows that she will always have two real parents in Ghana who she calls mother and father. She would also have an adopted Mother who brought her to the US to live and who she calls auntie.

for the record, if they immigrant to the USA, they'll be staying with me. And if they find their own place the girl remines with me. Not sure what part wasn't understood. I want her to know her parents always and if Ghana had a flexibility on adoption, I'll definitely adopt my princess. I'm going to go Ghana in July for two months to spoil her like I always do. My fiance and I will take her to places too like I did November when I got there. She was name after me and they refer her as my junior girl. The parents are doing well in Ghana. They have a successful business while the husband makes good money. They aren't struggling at all. Love her so very much and can't wait to be with her and take her places....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.