Hypnos

Bank refusing to open new account because SSC "valid for work only with DHS authorization"

40 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Cool ! Sorry it didn't work out to yer satisfaction, though.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

A lot of physical banks and credit unions offer free to low-cost checking options, especially if you have a direct deposit or automatic checking withdrawal on a monthly basis.

That only works if, you know, you can actually work yet in the US and having money coming in. Another pain is if one doesn't have a large float to leave as a minimum balance to save on fees.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I'm having the same issue with online banks - I cannot find one that will let me open an account! They've turned me down not having a previous US address, state ID, not having a bank account in the US - I had issues even being added to my husband's online account and still dealing with that.

But yeah, I understand why you want a particular bank, I want to have an online bank - after living in Canada paying $14-$40 a month in banking fees, I want a freaking deal!

Don't try to go through the process online. Even after getting greencard, I can'r renew driver's license or plates/sticker online because I'm not a US citizen. Go to the bank in person, don't call and don't apply online. One of the first questions in the process (as far as I have experienced) leads to a dead end when answering "no" to being a US citizen because it won't let you continue. And you cannot afford to lie and answer yes to that specific question.

Usually, more branches of the same bank would be in the area. I think Centier has 5 branches in this city/town, Horizon has 4.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

That only works if, you know, you can actually work yet in the US and having money coming in. Another pain is if one doesn't have a large float to leave as a minimum balance to save on fees.

Well, yes, that is usually a stipulation. But, you can get around that if you're on the account with a USC (like my husband is) if you're not working yet. I save money on fees, he has access to his own debit card so he can go shopping without having to come to me for $ each time.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

It would seem that I'm taking my business elsewhere.

That's the attitude you should have. If a bank doesn't want your business, there will be hundreds others that will fall over themselves to help you out.

11/29/12 - AOS Interview in Atlanta - 10 minutes long and approved on the spot.

ROC in 2014!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

I have a similar issue -- my wife and I are trying to add her to my existing savings and checking account (chase) and when providing her valid passport and social security number the bank notified me that they were unable to verify her identity.  Is this in issue with her social security number/card?  Additionally her passport has her maiden name and her SS card/state ID have her married name, would this be part of the issue with the bank verifying her identity?

Thanks in advance,

Will

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread from 2012 is now closed to further comment.

The most recent poster is welcome to start a fresh thread in this forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.