Jump to content

VisaJourney.com Logo
Gallery      Form Downloads      Example Forms      Processing Times      Embassy Info      Reviews: Embassy/USCIS & POE      News     Members

Latest VJ Member Visa Approvals - Congratulations!

blank avatarshai & caz
K1 Visa
Honey & Bunny
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Dominican Republic
Joseph & Patrycja
K1 Visa
Nina & Omar
K1 Visa
Michael & Gillian
K1 Visa
Jac & Juvielyn
K1 Visa
Melissa & Omar
IR-1/CR-1 Visa
blank avatarJohnnal & Mitchell
K1 Visa
Moses & Marianela
K1 Visa
Rachel & Ivan
K1 Visa

Visa Interviews Today: Good Luck!!

blank avatarSokchann & Dad & Mom
IR-5 Visa
Amine & Faty
K1 Visa
blank avatarMarta & Anderson
K1 Visa
Dominican Republic
J & C
K1 Visa
blank avatarlori & larry
K1 Visa
blank avatarE & T
K1 Visa
C & D
K1 Visa
Penny & Richard
K1 Visa
Penny & Richie
K1 Visa

Permanent resident sponsoring parents

#1 pm5k



  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

Can a permanent resident petition for his/her parents to immigrate to the US (become permanent resident as well), or must they become a citizen first?

Edited by pm5k, 17 December 2012 - 05:37 PM.

  • 0

#2 Boiler


    Supreme Member

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

  • 0
Nothing I say should in any way be construed as a breach of VJ TOS. http://www.visajourn...m/content/terms

All my comments regarding any visa's or routes to obtaining one are subject to their individual terms and conditions, the full extent of which can not possibly be fully detailed in any reply on a forum such as this.

In particular but not limited to condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method.

If you read it that way please re read what I wrote, not what you think I wrote. Or what somebody could misconstrue that I wrote.

#3 aleful


    Diamond Member

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

What is the process for a permanent resident to sponser his or her parents? Does one have to be a permanent resident for some time before they can petition for their relative?

Also, once the parent arrives, he/she can petition for his/her unmarried, under-21 children, correct?

I am trying to see what is the faster process:

1. Permanent resident arrives to US (has green card), then petitions for parent (is there a time requirement, ex, have to be PR for 1 yr?)

2. Permanent resident arrives in US (has green card), becomes citizen, and then petitions for parent.


residents cannot file for parents only US Citizens can, so N2, when he or she becomes a USC then they can petition for parents
  • 0

#4 apple21



Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

Can a permanent resident petition for his/her parents to immigrate to the US (become permanent resident as well), or must they become a citizen first?

No. LPR/Green Card holders cannot file a petition for their parents. They must become a US citizen (Naturalized) first before they can file.
  • 0

:wub: 10-year GC holder :wub: 

Click on the links below


My F2A timeline (Spouse of LPR)

My US Embassy Manila interview

Back to Top ↑

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Try asking our VJ Immigration Lawyers.
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community.
It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account?
Sign in here.

Sign In Now

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.