Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Dominican Driver's License

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to Moving Here and Your New Life In America forum.

**Organizer hat off**

No, he must obtain a valid driver's permit then license in the state that you reside in. You cannot transfer a license from a foreign country.

This is not always the case. Some states do allow allow people who moved to the state from another country to apply for a license as if they have moved from another state (i.e. no need to obtain a permit first). For example, people who move to Washington from Germany, South Korea, or British Columbia who possess a valid license don't need a permit first.

OP, check with the licensing authority of the state you will be living in.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Check with your DMV some states allow you to drive with a foreign license with or without having an international drivers permit as long as the I-94 is valid. However, once I-94 expires you will have to do like mimolicious stated get a permit then license and that will also have to be done after AOS. Any permit you get before AOS will only be temporary and they will not renew until AOS. Some countries you do not have to obtain permit first, not sure if DR is one of them.

Edited by reese1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.