Sign in to follow this  
del-2-5-2014

Marriage Registry In Nigeria

15 posts in this topic

Chief, you should go to a registry that has a link with your spouse. I mean a place where her family will be represented fully and ensure you take as many photographs as possible as this is the only evidence that you actually had the wedding. The embassy is very particular about photographs and most times often than not ask questions on people appearing in photographs and their relationship with either you or your spouse

It seems that the Ikoyi Federal registry is the most common one but I hate doing anything in Lagos.

So I want to hear from successful CR1 applicants who have had luck with marriage certificates from other than Lagos.

I want to get married in Ibadan.

The only requirement is to be married where the citizen (Nigerian) lives. I got married in Port Harcourt. I know many who have recently (4 this year alone) in Ibadan. Nice place.

Makes sense, thanks.

I'm taking painful steps to dot all the i and cross all the t.

I totally understand you. And I understand people being hesitate to suddenly have to MARRY under others terms not your own. Just know we are here for you Sir. Okay.

We got married at Ibadan registry not sure which one exactly now. But be sure the bans of marriage is properly done and the number of days completed. Take lots of pics. Take the forms she needs to fill with you let her sign. It will save you time along the way. Good luck

Thank you for your info.

Please explain the bans of marriage.

What we have so far is a 21 day waiting period for the registry.

Thank you for your info.

Please explain the bans of marriage.

What we have so far is a 21 day waiting period for the registry.

21 day wait is not mandatory. many f us have gotten married way under that 21 day mandate.

You just have to pay more depending on where u r getting married. We filed on Thursday April 27. We wanted May 1st it was booked so we got married May 3rd. So not even 6 days.

I met my Fiance in July 2011, proposed in April 2012, denied in November 2012 witha recommendation to file a Spousal petition. So could the Lagos Gods possibly have an issue if I got married to my Fiancee 5 days after I land in Lagos on my 3rd trip to see her?

Thanks yah all for answering my previous questions. Let's just say that I'ma bit gun shy and don't want to assume anything this time around.

Nigerian Marriage Acts

Under the section of the marriage acts prelimaries to marriage at bullet 11.1 It mentions allowing 21 days from the posting of the marriage notice. However in section 7 it says one of the parties must present the notice. So it should be enough for your bride to be to have the notice posted ahead of the wedding. At least 21 days and not more than 3 months.

There is a slight chance they will say your marrige isn't properly executed if you don't do everything by the books.

Back to Top ↑

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Try asking our VJ Immigration Lawyers.