Waiting and Waiting

I-751 Interview Questions

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

My wife and I have been asked to appear for an interview for our pending I-751. Vermont took a year to process the initial 751 then forwarded to my local field office (San Juan PR) for processing. They were concerned that we used a PO Box for our address (I've had it for the past 20 years. Very common here to avoid mailbox tampering.) 4+ months later we have an appointment.

Does anyone recall questions from their interview? I have read, on other sites, that they might ask about a birth date but did anyone have any unusual questions?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have read somewhere that they ask such questions as: How did you celebrate your wife's birthday this year?.... Who is your husband's best friend?..... What is your husband's favorite dinner?, etc.

Usually, when they request an interview for the ROC, it's because they have some doubt about the relationship being bona fide.

As long as you have nothing to hide, you will be fine. They are trained at being able to see if a couple is trying to be fraudulent about actually being a married couple, living in the same home.

Good luck.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Please come back and post what happens. Since these interviews are so rare, it will be good for people that do get called. Good luck....I'm sure everything will be fine.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Usually, when they request an interview for the ROC, it's because they have some doubt about the relationship being bona fide.

As long as you have nothing to hide, you will be fine. They are trained at being able to see if a couple is trying to be fraudulent about actually being a married couple, living in the same home.

Just so there's not too much worry...

There are a percentage of cases that are pulled for interview just for quality control purposes. If you're a totally legit couple that get called for an interview, it doesn't necessarily mean that there is any doubt about you/your relationship. You could just be in that lucky 10 or so percent.

Waiting and Waiting, there was a recent interview experience posted here:

I-751 - interview requested

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390531&

I-751 interview requested - update

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401279&

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

and trust it to fall under my district aswell (San Juan) :P, just my luck lol....come back and let us know how it all goes!.

Hopefully your just part of the 10% that got pulled from the stash to have an interview

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

I am glad to report that she was approved. There were extenuating circumstances. My wife and her daughter are living in Portland Oregon while her daughter gets established in college. The marriage is good, it's just that we had an opportunity to get her daughter into a good educational system and we decided that it was the best thing to do. I go there every 6 months for a week because I cannot leave my 87 year old father alone in Puerto Rico any longer than that.

So...we had to file our taxes separately.

We had reported their moving to Oregon and marked it as temporary on the AR-11.

We decided that the best strategy was to put all the cards on the table. Let the interviewing officer review everything and not hold any paperwork back. We decided what our reply would be when we were asked if we are living together.

Our appointment was called on time and we were asked to present our paperwork. Her first question was how we had met. She then asked if we had any child from our marriage. She wanted to know if we were planning to have any more children. She asked how many children each of us had from previous marriages. She wanted to know where they were living. She saw the tax return my wife filed for 2005 and asked why we were not living together. Our reply was "We have a temporary situation". She put the papers down, took off her glasses and said, "OK. Tell me everything from the beginning." My wife related the whole story of how everything came about. I kept my mouth shut and just nodded. We indicated we had documentation to back everything up from her daughter's school and her college guidance counselor but she did not ask to see them. When my wife finished, the officer took out the photographs and went through them, asking who the additional people were in the photographs. She took one photo, stapled it to the file and handed the rest back along with the CD that I had prepared. ("I like to have a picture in the file.", she said.)

She took out a form and an inkpad and asked my wife to put her fingerprint on the form in the box and said, "Give me your passport so I can mark an extension for an additional year. That's it. You are approved."

The interview lasted maybe 20 minutes at the most. It just seemed longer.

I felt we were treated fairly and given an opportunity to fully explain our position. Incidentally, the interview was conducted in spanish (My wife is from Peru.) The interviewing officer was temporaily assigned to the San Juan office to help with a backlog.

Just a note: while we were waiting to be called, 3 individuals who were there for appointments and had checked in were not there when their names were called. One showed up later. I have no idea why they would not be there waiting. The officer was not happy.

Next step is to file for citizenship!

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback and support. The suggestions and information I received here was very helpful. Honesty and full disclosure is the best policy when dealing with DHS.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

thats interesting,m especially since i myself am dealing with the San Juan district office aswell.

hopefully i wont have to get called for an interview!<...waste more time lol :P

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

Filed: Timeline
I am glad to report that she was approved. There were extenuating circumstances. My wife and her daughter are living in Portland Oregon while her daughter gets established in college. The marriage is good, it's just that we had an opportunity to get her daughter into a good educational system and we decided that it was the best thing to do. I go there every 6 months for a week because I cannot leave my 87 year old father alone in Puerto Rico any longer than that.

So...we had to file our taxes separately.

We had reported their moving to Oregon and marked it as temporary on the AR-11.

We decided that the best strategy was to put all the cards on the table. Let the interviewing officer review everything and not hold any paperwork back. We decided what our reply would be when we were asked if we are living together.

Our appointment was called on time and we were asked to present our paperwork. Her first question was how we had met. She then asked if we had any child from our marriage. She wanted to know if we were planning to have any more children. She asked how many children each of us had from previous marriages. She wanted to know where they were living. She saw the tax return my wife filed for 2005 and asked why we were not living together. Our reply was "We have a temporary situation". She put the papers down, took off her glasses and said, "OK. Tell me everything from the beginning." My wife related the whole story of how everything came about. I kept my mouth shut and just nodded. We indicated we had documentation to back everything up from her daughter's school and her college guidance counselor but she did not ask to see them. When my wife finished, the officer took out the photographs and went through them, asking who the additional people were in the photographs. She took one photo, stapled it to the file and handed the rest back along with the CD that I had prepared. ("I like to have a picture in the file.", she said.)

She took out a form and an inkpad and asked my wife to put her fingerprint on the form in the box and said, "Give me your passport so I can mark an extension for an additional year. That's it. You are approved."

The interview lasted maybe 20 minutes at the most. It just seemed longer.

I felt we were treated fairly and given an opportunity to fully explain our position. Incidentally, the interview was conducted in spanish (My wife is from Peru.) The interviewing officer was temporaily assigned to the San Juan office to help with a backlog.

Just a note: while we were waiting to be called, 3 individuals who were there for appointments and had checked in were not there when their names were called. One showed up later. I have no idea why they would not be there waiting. The officer was not happy.

Next step is to file for citizenship!

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback and support. The suggestions and information I received here was very helpful. Honesty and full disclosure is the best policy when dealing with DHS.

Good News!!! Congratulations!!!

Best wishes. (F)

Sincerely.

• 7 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

thanks for all of these posts, very useful to us as we have been "selected" to interview next week :(

I know it will all be ok as we are very happily married, I wish these immigration officers would skip the interview and just come visit you at your home and stay a few days!

We don't have joint bank accounts b/c I didn't have an income for a long time when first married and then when I got a job it was an actual check so I went with my employer's bank in order to cash the check for free. We did set up a joint account a few months ago for joint expenses, but it hasn't been the whole time we were married.

The mortgage is still just his name as he had the house for years before we met, same for most bills.

But, we have tax returns, letters from family and friends, vacation pics and tickets for trips.

We also have separate healthcare b/c we both have insurance through work.

Hopefully will all be ok though!

Jan 10th 2009 - Met whilst I was working in the US on a J1 Visa
July 31st 2009 - I had to leave the US (visa expired and no jobs)
Sep 5th 2009 - I returned to the US to visit for 2 months

Dec 30th 2009 - He came to England to visit me for 10 days
Dec 31st 2009 - Engaged!!! He proposed in London at midnight
Jan 2010 - Sent I-129f application

Feb 12th 2010 - received NOA1

March - I visited for 2 weeks
May 4th 2010 - received NOA2

June - I visited for 2 weeks

16th July - Medical
26th July 2010! - Interview at US Embassy in London
12th August 2010 - Received K1 VISA smile.png
26th AUGUST 2010 - Enter US!!! POE ATLANTA
30th OCTOBER 2010 - Our Wedding - such a perfect day smile.png

EAD
8th November 2010 - Biometrics
27th January 2011 - EAD Received in the mail smile.png

AOS
8th November 2010 - Biometrics
3rd March 2011 - AOS Interview

ROC

Applied for removal of conditional permanent resident status
21st February 2013 I751

Received NOA MARCH 1ST 2013

Biometrics Appointment March 25th 2013

RFE July 2013

Sent RFE back September 2013

I-751 Interview in Atlanta1ST MAY 2014

10 year green card received!!!!! :joy: may 20th 2014

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.