jhonster

Marry in Philippines? Or bring in as Fiance'. Need help. New to this.

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello there,

I would say visit her,her family & learn her culture.Observe and take time to know each other...I am also a filipina married to a US cit.learning from differences is a big factor in relationship..build a strong relationship then decide which is the best for you or suitable for you guys.

For me the best route is K-1 that way you dont have to hurry in marrying,give u a time to know each other specially in times of "hard time"then it will give you 90 days to decide to get married when she gets here.let's see what she feels about the life in america together.Living in the same roof is A LOT different than life over the "net" its easy to say those words.now living together is like waking up in reality.

Wish u all the best:)

Timeline

My now ex-wife had a child before we met. She brought her child on a K-2 as part of her K-1 fiancee visa. It was no problem. In the Philippines the mother has all the rights, she can take the child out of the country without consent from the father. Her child has now been adopted by me and in fact I have custody after our divorce. The bio father never had to do anything in the whole process. Again, the mother has all the parental rights in the Philippines.

Many people who when K-1 wish they'd gone CR-1. I haven't heard of anyone who went CR-1 who wish they'd gone K-1. There are significant advantages to getting married first. In your case it would include being able to claim her on your taxes this year (which would have been about a $4k savings had I done that instead of going the K-1 route) and savings of over $1,000 for the AOS process, not to mention the time and additional paperwork required at that stage. The Philippines requires a 10 day wait after applying for the marriage license before you can receive the license and get married. Combined with the requirement for the Certificate required for the non-Filipino to marry, that you get at the US Embassy in Manila, it was too much time away from the office for me to make that process work, so we went the K-1 route. I wish I'd had time to get married there, but I didn't so I'll work with what I have. I've heard you can slip a few bucks under the table in the Philippines to grease the wheels and get it done in under 10 days, but I didn't want to monkey with the system and have potential problems down the road.

The CR-1 route is currently pretty close to the K-1 route in timetables. It may take a month or a few months longer, but currently is not a huge difference. Of course changes to the schedule of either could happen at any time. I don't believe you will be able to do the adoption of the child in the Philippines quickly. So the child will be attached to the mother's visa. It is pretty simple and straight forward in the K-1/K-2 situation. I believe it is under the CR-1 scenario also.

By the way, I didn't hire an attorney for the process with my now ex- and I didn't know of the visajourney website. I did it on my own. The documentation is very straight forward. Visajourney certainly helps, but you shouldn't need an attorney. One weekend of reading the instructions, filling out forms, and preparing documents before you go the the Philippines is likely all you'll need to save not only time with a service, but frustration if they miss something as well.

Best of luck.

Everyone here.....Thank you VERY much for the insightful recommendations you've given me. This is starting to make a lot more sense now.

I think after talking to the immigration service here in Los Angeles this morning, I think I'll be going the CR1 route. AND I will take the advisement of others here to take my time and get to know her in person as well.

I've been in relationships that spanned 8 years to 3 months over my 27 years of being a bachelor. So I'm no newbie to relationships. My marriage to the Korean national last year was just a big mistake. I was tired of being single and "dating" and really just wanted to settle down. In other dating circumstances, I would have broken off a relationship where we argued like cats & dogs over essentially nothing. Without going into too much detail as to "why" I continued & decided to marry the Korean national w/illegal status would take too much time. But just be assured, that little guy who stands on your shoulder (your conscience) told me...."better not!!". Oh well. The stupid things we do when we think love can fix anything.

This gal on the other hand is VERY sweet, kind, funny, very down to earth and has a similar attitude that I have. I sent her the passage from the New Testimate where Paul speaks to the Corinthians. Its the same passage that many people use for their wedding vows. She agrees that these are almost perfect instructions of how you should behave in a marriage, so that says a lot to me. Plus, having Skype'd with her for hours upon hours now over the course of a month....I see how she takes care of the families kids she is a live in maid for. I've also spoke with her employer of 5 years who vouches for her devotion to her family. That also speaks highly to me. Basically she IS the mother of that family. And she's been doing this for over 5 years now. A little background of her is....her father died when she was still in High School, thus making it very hard for her family. She basically dropped out of High School to support her family. So from there, she's been a bread winner to help keep her family above water. Again, that speaks highly to me as far as her commitment to family....because I'm wired the very same way.

GrantPDX. Thank you for the information regarding the child. That helps ALOT! Do you think I should still get her daughters last named changed to the Mothers as issha2lynden mentioned? Would or could that cause a hangup with immigration here in the U.S. when it comes to getting her daughters Visa issued? I'd like to get married in the Philippines and when we get the approval for my girlfriend (wife) to come over, I'd like them to come together.

I hear what you're saying about the "significant advantages" to doing the CR1, and I can relate. I work for the City of Los Angeles and have roughly 4 weeks vacation time on the books. So I've got to plan this out carefully so I don't loose any $$ from not working.

So getting the marriage cert in the Philippines isn't a big deal for me as far as time in concerned. But does this certificate for marriage as a non Filipino ad more time to that? Or does the clock start ticking at the same time when you apply for both?

I figured after meeting in November, I'd go back at the end of January when she gets back to the Philippines. Plan for a wedding ceremony. Apply for the marriage cert as soon as I got there. Spend time with the family and basically take a vacation with her for a couple of weeks. Do a simple ceremony at a church or somewhere similar. And then leave as soon as I had the marriage cert in hand so I could take it back to the U.S. and get the CR1 going. This way I wouldn't waste anymore time away from work, and hopefully the next time I see her will be when her and her daughter get on a plane to come to the U.S. w/Visa in hand. What do you think?

Issha2lynden. I hear what you are saying. Lucky I've dated a few Filipina's here in Los Angeles. And one of my good friends since Jr. High School is Filipino as well. I grew up around his family. Went to his wedding. Been to all their family parties, etc. So I've got a pretty good understanding of the way Filipino culture works. And its very close to the culture I was raised in as well (Jewish/European). Think of the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Jewish families are very similar to Italians or Greeks in that sense. So I'm ready for the live in's and what not. I've got a nice guest house on my property which would be perfect to have an inlaw in live. And that would help Avelita as well if we decided to have more kids.

Ok. Well, if anybody else thinks of anything else, I would be greatly appreciative. I thank everyone here for all their input.

Sincerely. John.

You could also bring her child with CR2 but make sure to have her correct the birth certificate since I believe that could cause the child's visa denial, CO might think

she has been married to the father. See, in the Philippines a single mom could use the bf last name even without marriage. She just have to seek for an affidavit of correction and have a judge affirm it then submit to NSO and obtain a new document/record.

First of all, there is no 'correcting' the birth certificate. The child is legally recognized by the father and therefore the father has very specific rights under Filipino law which are quite alien to many US citizens. Being an illegitimate child has actual legal standing concerning parental rights in the Philippines. As a recognized child there are going to be difficulties bringing the child to the US unless the father can be convinced to surrender his rights.

To address the OP, there are both advantages and disadvantages to both the CR-1 and the K-1 visas. My wife and I are in the final stages of completing our CR-1 visa journey. When you believe you are going to need a co-sponsor or your spouse wishes to work right away the CR-1 is definitely the way to go. The amount of time a K-1 visa cuts off the time is a few weeks generally from my understanding plus you have to pay for the Adjustment of Status ($1070) once you are married. With a K-1 you have 90 days with her here in the US to get married so it gives you both a bit of time to learn how she'd adjust to the living conditions.

I agree with earlier posters that the US consul will be very curious about why you were involved with a woman prior to having secured a divorce. This will raise quite a few red flags, especially if your age difference is quite large. Look into your fiance's background. Spend time there in the Philippines if you can afford the time from work. I recommend at least a month, but it would be better if you could live there for 3-6 months. Just remember that if you intend to stay more than 21 days you need to get a visa extension (currently will run you P3030 ~$75 and a few hours of waiting at the Bureau of Immigration).

If you get married in the Philippines you will have to get be sure to have all of your personal documents with you, including certified or original copies of your birth certificate and divorce decree. You will also have to schedule an appointment at the US Embassy to attain an Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry. Also note that not all provinces will recognize the Affidavit, so check ahead of time. If your wife is Catholic and wants a church wedding it will take quite a while to have the banns completed and the dispensations done if you are not Catholic yourself. If your wife is a member of Iglesia ni Cristo you will be required to convert or she will have to formally leave the church. Religion is a important part of most everyone's life in the Philippines so even if your future wife may not seem very religious to you now, you will discover it is much larger an influence than you expected or realized, even if it is just through your new extended family.

One last note, if your wife is from Mindanao you may encounter some difficulty in travel and freedom of movement as there are travel warnings for US citizens on that island due to the presence of Muslim militias and extremist groups.

Good luck with your visa journey!

Hey John I had a fiancee before and did the K1 route with her then broke it off prior to her interview. And from what others have told me I will have an RFE (request for evidence) to explain the past breakup etc which will delay us even more than we are projected to be delayed (from others timelines). Since you were married to a Korean National that over-stayed you may have some issues going K1 Fiancee Visa Route. So since you are heading over and believe she is the one for you then marry her there and for with the marriage visa. Currently California Service Centers are very fast in processing K1 Visas as a heads up to you. However, once again you most likely will be asked alot of questions about your Korean wife etc which may delay or reject your K1 Fiancee Visa. I am not sure if they reject many K3 which I believe are marriage Visas. Just some advice as I lived in RP for 5 years. Since time does not seem to be an issue make sure you spend a lot of time with your fiancee prior to marrying. Also just an FYI that Philippine Law require 10 business days from start of process to having marriage licenses being approved. Do not use Fixers or anything that try to expedite it as it will cost you in the long run. A lot of crazy red tape marrying in the RP so just go with the flow and walk the steps as they request.

Good luck on your future Journey and Welcome to Visa Journey Website.

Shawn AKA Big Bear

Hi! Im also being petitioned by my husband (naturalized citizen) in Las Vegas and Im also from Phils currently working here in Singapore.. To compare with, I have a filipino workmate/friend being petitioned by her fiance from Las Vegas too.. Both of us are still waiting for our NOA2.. I applied in July and she in August.. I guess its better to marry her first, since it will make her immediate relative and thus no waiting for visa to be available.. My husband's friend took only 6months to be with his wife in US.. The only thing that might extend your waiting time is the adoption of her child,so better start the papers as soon as u can..

Goodluck to whatever path you'll choose! ;)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello there. John here. Found this website after scouring the internet.

I'll try to put this into a nutshell quickly. A girl from the Philippines (working in Singapore right now) & I (a native U.S. resident) want to get married. She has a 2 year old child that lives currently in the Philippines with her Mother. I'd like to bring them both into the USA (Los Angeles). I've heard conflicting stories of "the best" or more expedient way to do this. Some say, go to Singapore and marry her...that this would get her into the country much quicker as my wife and with less hassle. But an immigration service I just retained told me to go the Fiance' route....that this would allow both her and her daughter to come in at the same time without hassles.

I was married once before to a Korean national back in June of 2011. She had been here illegally for 10 years (overstayed her student Visa). We fought like cats and dogs, so we separated in Dec of 2011 & the divorce was only final in Sept of 2012.

I'm going to meet her for the 1st time in November in Singapore & we're going to see her family in the Philippines. I've already bought wedding rings, so we could always have a ceremony when I get there. She'll be working in Singapore until the end of January under contract, after that she'll return to the Philippines to live with her sister, daughter and Mother. So I plan on supplementing her income until she can get over here with her daughter.

Based on the few facts I've given, what do people think I should do here? Marry her when I'm in the Philippines & try to bring her and her daughter in as my Wife and adopted daughter? Or bring them both in under a Fiance' Visa? The only reason why I guess I'm somewhat worried is, her friend who trying to come to the USA via a Fiance' Visa has been waiting for some 2 years. But this friends sister got to the USA within 6 months by marrying her Fiance in the Philippines.

Any personal stories or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Just do the fiance visa so it's fast and both of them will come to the US, and one more advice to her don't forget to get a police clearance in singapore before she leave the country because she will need that for visa filing.

First of all, there is no 'correcting' the birth certificate. The child is legally recognized by the father and therefore the father has very specific rights under Filipino law which are quite alien to many US citizens. Being an illegitimate child has actual legal standing concerning parental rights in the Philippines. As a recognized child there are going to be difficulties bringing the child to the US unless the father can be convinced to surrender his rights.

You know what you are actually right, revisiting the Philippine Law, once the child born outside marriage is recognized by the father so then the name carried is legal and binding. I remember exactly the same case of a Filipina though who went through same case and the CO questioned the child's carried surname, her status been questioned if she was really single. So then she ended up securing again her certificate of non marriage then the applicant ended up doing exactly what I said, she had the surname changed to her surname through the help of a lawyer. I don't see any other means to overcome this conflict and you don't really wanna play by chance with a CO or you will suffer from long 221g saga.

Timeline

I'm certainly no expert and my situation might be slightly different, but my fiancee's son (at that time) carried his father's last name, not his mothers, as he recognized the child. When he interviewed (at 1 1/2 years of age) he still had his bio father's last name. When he came to the US he still had his bio father's last name. The only issue it caused was that they wanted a little more evidence from NSO. It delayed the process by about 2 weeks while they waited for that evidence.

There was no involvement from the bio father through the entire visa process. He didn't sign anything, didn't officially surrender any rights, didn't do anything at all, was never asked to. This may be as a result of the tender years laws in the Philippines that gives the mother sole custody rights to children under 7 years of age. Regardless of why, there was never any question. I was in the USEM interview with them both. This was 6 years ago and it is only my situation, I don't know if it was standard/normal or otherwise and things can certainly change.

After coming to the US and AOSing I adopted the child and based on the adoption was able to secure his US citizenship and passport. Adoption laws vary by state. I wasn't required to get the signature of the bio father but since my then wife was traveling to the Philippines she secured his signature on the adoption paperwork eliminiting even the slightest possibility that he could try to claim parental rights in the future. Again, this wasn't required but it did eliminate even tiny risks in the future.

My son's US birth certificate carries my last name. For all purposes he is my child. After a custody battle with his biological mother, after our divorce, I retained sole legal custody of him. His brother (the biological child of his mother and me) is biologically his half-brother but legally they are the exact same, both my sons.

Based SOLELY on my experience, I don't see a problem with his current birth certificate or either the K-1 or the CR-1 process to bring your girlfriend and her child to the US.

In another note, I was legally divorced from their mother in October of last year, after some time of separation and the divorce process. During our separation I met another filipina online. After the divorce was final I went to the Philippines and met her and applied for a fiancee visa. Prior to the NOA2 we broke up due to her situation not being compatible with continuing the process. I cancelled the petition, but unfortunately was too late and the petition was approved and sent to the NVC. Long story short I got it cancelled. The punch line is that my previous divorce, finalized just 1 1/2 months prior the submission of my second K-1 petition had no discernable effect on the approval of my second K-1 petition. No delay, no RFE, nothing. I've had confirmation that the petition was cancelled by my (2nd) ex-fiancee received a letter from USEM indicating that she could schedule an interview.

After the termination of that relationship I was introduced to the cousin (in the Philippines) of one of my pinay friends in the US. We chatted for several months and I went to visit her in August/September in the Philippines. I had to apply for a waiver as I'd had 2 K-1 petitions approved. We'll see how it goes, soon I hope.

I tell this because we all have varying stories about our relationships. Advice isn't bad, but judgement from folks who have absolutely no idea about the particulars of your situation isn't helpful. Judgemental comments aren't helpful (and I'm certainly guilty of making my own in the past, apologies). I would never have guessed I'd find myself in the situation I'm in today. Certainly I never planned this path in life, but I'm incredibly happy to have met Airen, my fiancee, and if this is what it took to get me here, the I guess the winding path to get here was worth it, even if it was painful and with unexpected turns and set backs.

Best of luck to you. If you have specific questions that my past experience might be helpful to you, don't hesitate to ask, in private message if you'd prefer.

You know what you are actually right, revisiting the Philippine Law, once the child born outside marriage is recognized by the father so then the name carried is legal and binding. I remember exactly the same case of a Filipina though who went through same case and the CO questioned the child's carried surname, her status been questioned if she was really single. So then she ended up securing again her certificate of non marriage then the applicant ended up doing exactly what I said, she had the surname changed to her surname through the help of a lawyer. I don't see any other means to overcome this conflict and you don't really wanna play by chance with a CO or you will suffer from long 221g saga.

Having the child's name changed on the birth certificate can only be done under a judicial order which generally will only be granted if it can be proven the father has never once done anything to support the child in question. Like many things in the Philippines a certain amount of graft may help the process along.

If the father wants to cause trouble, either out of spite or malice, there can be a lot of heartache involved. It's been known for women to have to abandon their children to pursue relationships with foreigners due to the trouble of having recognized children with a former spouse or boyfriend. Some people are lucky and the situation can be without issue, but one must always go in with eyes wide open to the possible complications that arise from being involved with someone that has had a prior relationship.

Timeline

To address the OP, there are both advantages and disadvantages to both the CR-1 and the K-1 visas. My wife and I are in the final stages of completing our CR-1 visa journey. When you believe you are going to need a co-sponsor or your spouse wishes to work right away the CR-1 is definitely the way to go. The amount of time a K-1 visa cuts off the time is a few weeks generally from my understanding plus you have to pay for the Adjustment of Status ($1070) once you are married. With a K-1 you have 90 days with her here in the US to get married so it gives you both a bit of time to learn how she'd adjust to the living conditions.

I agree with earlier posters that the US consul will be very curious about why you were involved with a woman prior to having secured a divorce. This will raise quite a few red flags, especially if your age difference is quite large. Look into your fiance's background. Spend time there in the Philippines if you can afford the time from work. I recommend at least a month, but it would be better if you could live there for 3-6 months. Just remember that if you intend to stay more than 21 days you need to get a visa extension (currently will run you P3030 ~$75 and a few hours of waiting at the Bureau of Immigration).

If you get married in the Philippines you will have to get be sure to have all of your personal documents with you, including certified or original copies of your birth certificate and divorce decree. You will also have to schedule an appointment at the US Embassy to attain an Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry. Also note that not all provinces will recognize the Affidavit, so check ahead of time. If your wife is Catholic and wants a church wedding it will take quite a while to have the banns completed and the dispensations done if you are not Catholic yourself. If your wife is a member of Iglesia ni Cristo you will be required to convert or she will have to formally leave the church. Religion is a important part of most everyone's life in the Philippines so even if your future wife may not seem very religious to you now, you will discover it is much larger an influence than you expected or realized, even if it is just through your new extended family.

One last note, if your wife is from Mindanao you may encounter some difficulty in travel and freedom of movement as there are travel warnings for US citizens on that island due to the presence of Muslim militias and extremist groups.

Good luck with your visa journey!

Hello there....and thank you for the info. Her father isn't in the picture at all. Wants nothing to do with her. My fiance's mother & sister are raising the child in Manila and thats where they live. I was raised Jewish, so I'm hoping she's not part of that Catholic sect. But even so, she can always go to church here in Los Angeles where ever she likes. There are lots of Filipino Catholic churches here. She seems to think that the father will surrender his rights to the child without issue. If so, what do we need to do? I'm 47 and she's 33. So yes, there's a big age difference between us. And the issue of contacting her shouldnt' really be an issue. I was not living with my wife since last decemeber, and I met her on a social network in August. So that was 8 months into my separation. My divorce was final in septemeber. But I think thats even a better reason to marry in the Philippines.

I'll be going there in November for 10 days. And when she gets back to Manilla, I'll spend about a month there. So I hope that will take care of everything.

So what do you think about the child then? Thanks again for your help! John.

Hello there....and thank you for the info. Her father isn't in the picture at all. Wants nothing to do with her. My fiance's mother & sister are raising the child in Manila and thats where they live. I was raised Jewish, so I'm hoping she's not part of that Catholic sect. But even so, she can always go to church here in Los Angeles where ever she likes. There are lots of Filipino Catholic churches here. She seems to think that the father will surrender his rights to the child without issue. If so, what do we need to do? I'm 47 and she's 33. So yes, there's a big age difference between us. And the issue of contacting her shouldnt' really be an issue. I was not living with my wife since last decemeber, and I met her on a social network in August. So that was 8 months into my separation. My divorce was final in septemeber. But I think thats even a better reason to marry in the Philippines.

I'll be going there in November for 10 days. And when she gets back to Manilla, I'll spend about a month there. So I hope that will take care of everything.

So what do you think about the child then? Thanks again for your help! John.

Iglesia ni Cristo is not a Catholic sect. It is a separate religion. If your future wife is a member of that church you'd most likely know by now as they are incredibly devout. Your wife is, however, most likely Catholic just based on the odds since 81% of the people of the Philippines identify as Catholic. I hope that you both do spend time discussing the role of faith in your future family.

As for the child, it is likely you won't have much issue if the father is completely unaware of the current situation. If he finds out his ex is marrying just be prepared to buy his signature if he wants to cause a fuss.

The very first thing you will want to do when you arrive in the Philippines will be to schedule an appointment with the US Embassy to get an Affidavit of Freedom to Marry. That will be required to obtain a wedding license. You will then need to wait 10 days before the license will be released. If you get married in Manila you won't have to worry about them not accepting the Affidavit. However, you and your fiance will have to take a family planning seminar, which takes a couple of hours or paperwork and waiting (the seminar itself is short). I know some people have managed to avoid the seminar by paying graft, however due to recent crackdowns, especially in Manila City Hall, you may not want to risk it. After you are married and you return to the US you will have to wait for your wedding certificate to be sent to you by your wife. The certificate must be filed with the government and that can take a few weeks to process, even with it being expedited. Make sure your fiance has all of her paperwork ready as well like her birth certificate and CENOMAR, otherwise you will have delays.

Good luck with your trip.

Timeline

Iglesia ni Cristo is not a Catholic sect. It is a separate religion. If your future wife is a member of that church you'd most likely know by now as they are incredibly devout. Your wife is, however, most likely Catholic just based on the odds since 81% of the people of the Philippines identify as Catholic. I hope that you both do spend time discussing the role of faith in your future family.

As for the child, it is likely you won't have much issue if the father is completely unaware of the current situation. If he finds out his ex is marrying just be prepared to buy his signature if he wants to cause a fuss.

The very first thing you will want to do when you arrive in the Philippines will be to schedule an appointment with the US Embassy to get an Affidavit of Freedom to Marry. That will be required to obtain a wedding license. You will then need to wait 10 days before the license will be released. If you get married in Manila you won't have to worry about them not accepting the Affidavit. However, you and your fiance will have to take a family planning seminar, which takes a couple of hours or paperwork and waiting (the seminar itself is short). I know some people have managed to avoid the seminar by paying graft, however due to recent crackdowns, especially in Manila City Hall, you may not want to risk it. After you are married and you return to the US you will have to wait for your wedding certificate to be sent to you by your wife. The certificate must be filed with the government and that can take a few weeks to process, even with it being expedited. Make sure your fiance has all of her paperwork ready as well like her birth certificate and CENOMAR, otherwise you will have delays.

Good luck with your trip.

Couldn't I have either my Fiance' or her family pick up the Affidavit of Freedom to marry? Or is it available online? Is the family planning seminar done before or after the marriage or application process? Lastly, what is CENOMAR?

Once again, thank you for your help =))

There seem to be a lot of missing details in your account, so it's hard to say. How long have you been communicating with this Filipina girl? With your ex-wife having been out of status when you got married: did she adjust status through you? Why are you in a rush to make all of these decisions/plans without having even met this new person, despite your history of a brief and tumultuous marriage? I don't really care about the answers to any of these questions, but beginning a new relationship before being free to marry isn't going to come across well to an adjudicator or CO looking at your case, nor is the fairly businesslike manner in which you seem to be going about all of these arrangements.

To answer your actual questions, though: the CR-1 is generally perceived to be better in a lot of ways, as it allows the beneficiary to enter with a green card & work immediately. Others can chime in on the implications for the beneficiary's children with this visa. The processing takes a little longer, but not too much (6-8 months for K-1 and 8-10 months for CR-1 are oft-quoted guidelines, although the timelines can vary a lot). For both the CR-1 and the K-1, though, the primary hurdle you'll have to overcome to obtain the visa is showing that you have a genuine, bona fide relationship, so you'll want to think about how solid your relationship is and how well it will stand up to this kind of scrutiny, both now and in the later immigration phases (as the CR-1/K-1 phase is just the beginning of many years of intensive examination of every detail of your lives together).

You seem to be an expert of both cultures. Never knew that Uganda and the Phils have so much in common....Ps, K1 is used by most. :dance:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.