TJandJR

an old conviction- how do i get records

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

About 20 years ago I got a misdemeanor conviction of peace disturbance and paid $100 fine. I wasn't going to list it because on the I-129F it asks if you've been convicted of specific crimes and I haven't been charged or convicted of any of those things. But now I'm afraid if I don't list it that it could cause delays or they could deny us on misrepresentation. So how do I go about getting a copy of it / my "criminal" history? And how much emphasis will they put on it? I'm the petitioner. I'm the us citizen. Thanks.

Posted in wrong forum first time so reposting here. Sorry.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Been awhile, but if memory serves me correctly, the petitioner does not need to show any criminal records. Only the beneficiary.

Petitioner needs to show transcripts for certain convictions. Domestic, drug/alchohol if more than three and sexual abuse/battery etc.. If you have those then you might have a hard time.

I think even if they allow the petition the beneficiary should be aware of them.

Timeline

I asked this in wrong forum (hazard of posting from my cell) tried to repost correctly but don't see it. Trying again...

I have a misdemeanor disturbing the peace from about 20 yrs ago and paid $100 fine. On the i-129f it asks about very specific crimes and I've never been charged or convicted of any of them. But I'm afraid if I don't disclose this other one that it will cause delays or a denial saying I tried to misrepresent. How do o get a copy of that conviction/my "criminal" background from so long ago? And how much will they be concerned about it? I'm the petitioner and us citizen.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Best thing is do a back ground check on yourself, there are many good Internet sites where you pay $ 20 or $30 for a onetime back ground check on yourself. This is what USCIS does.

I asked this in wrong forum (hazard of posting from my cell) tried to repost correctly but don't see it. Trying again...

I have a misdemeanor disturbing the peace from about 20 yrs ago and paid $100 fine. On the i-129f it asks about very specific crimes and I've never been charged or convicted of any of them. But I'm afraid if I don't disclose this other one that it will cause delays or a denial saying I tried to misrepresent. How do o get a copy of that conviction/my "criminal" background from so long ago? And how much will they be concerned about it? I'm the petitioner and us citizen.

I don't think the crime of disturbing the peace relates to the specific crimes they are talking about . I would not be concerned about it as it is not a crime against another person or drug/alcohol related. If you feel you MUST answer "yes", then you have no choice but to obtain the police report from the arresting agency (police dept.) and the court record showing the disposition, from the courthouse in that county . Answer yes and send no records, you will surely get an RFE .

Best wishes

Edited by love4life09

Timeline

So let's say I answer no and then they run my background check and see it. Since it isn't what they asked about, do they just ignore it? And if they do ask why I didn't disclose it, is it an automatic denial? Anyone have experience with this?

Yes I do.It is a simple yes or no to the criminal questions they ask. If the answer is no, then there is no need to send a letter stating anything that does not pertain to the questions they asked. I have a misdemeanor(traffic infraction) from my youth I did not disclose the information as it did not apply to the criminal questions asked. I did not get a RFE about it and my petition was approved and is on its way to the Consulate.

Our Journey
6/13/2012 Sent I-129F package
6/14/2012 NOA1 --> California Service Center
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy received
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
11/30/2012 Picked-up Packet from Local Post Office
01/16/2013 Medical
01/23/2013 Interview - In AP

09/24/2013 Visa picked-up from DOMEX
10/10/2013 POE Ft. Lauderdale

10/28/2013 Applied for Social Security Number

01/01/2014 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

heart_28.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

best to answer YES it's on your file, go to your local police station ask for a record of your report,you may have to pay a fee.make copies,you will need them again in your journey,you should be alright,

So let's say I answer no and then they run my background check and see it. Since it isn't what they asked about, do they just ignore it? And if they do ask why I didn't disclose it, is it an automatic denial? Anyone have experience with this?

In my opinion,they would ignore it. I had two misdemeanor A&B arrests long ago, without convictions . I thought I only had one, and sent only the records for the one. There were no problems or questions ever asked . You COULD call the PD and see if they will mail you the police report, and the county court clerk will mail the court document to you for a small fee, so there would be no worries.

Edited by love4life09

Timeline

Answer the question asked. If it does not apply to you, and you indicate above it does not, then answer no. If it does, then answer truthfully and prepare to provide the documentation they require. Do not try to read things into it and add confusion to your case. They know what they are looking for, and if they want it they will ask for it. Best wishes for a smooth journey for you and your loved one.:yes:

USCIS

Sent I-130 Petition - 11-23-11

NOA1 - 11-25-11

Sent K-3 Petition - 12-13-11

NOA1 - 12-14-11

RFE for I-130 - 6-4-12

Submitted RFE Info - 8-23-12

Request to Withdraw K-3 Sent - 8-25-12

NOA2 I-130 APPROVED - 8-27-12

NOA2 K-3 APPROVED - 8-27-12

I-797C received in the mail for I-130 ad K-3 - 8-31-12

I-130 was approved 254 days from NOA1 date

NVC

NVC Received/Email Notification - 9-5-12

NVC Case # - 9-5-12

Emailed DS-3032 - 9-6-12

Paid I-864 Fee - 9-6-2012

I-864 PAID - 9-10-12

Sent I-864 - 9-29-12

I-864 accepted - 10-11-12

Sent IV Packet - 9-29-12

RFE for DS230 - 10-11-12

Response to RFE received - 10-15-12

IV Packet accepted

Paid IV bill - 9-10-12

IV bill PAID - 9-20-12

Case Complete

???

USCIS request case be returned to them - 10-18-12

NVC reports case sent back on - 10-22-12

Timeline

About 20 years ago I got a misdemeanor conviction of peace disturbance and paid $100 fine. I wasn't going to list it because on the I-129F it asks if you've been convicted of specific crimes and I haven't been charged or convicted of any of those things. But now I'm afraid if I don't list it that it could cause delays or they could deny us on misrepresentation. So how do I go about getting a copy of it / my "criminal" history? And how much emphasis will they put on it? I'm the petitioner. I'm the us citizen. Thanks.

You can contact the state police dept for a background check specifically in the state the conviction took place. I have had to do these myself for employment purposes. You can request it via the website for the state police dept of that state. You will see an option to order a background check and fill out the request form and pay a small fee ( I think I paid 25$). Also, any conviction should be recorded at the county courthouse where you were convicted (you can find there contact info online). If you call the courthouse they can look up the records for you as it is public information, and for a nominal fee they will copy the record and send it to you. I will reiterate as in your later post...make sure you are replying to the question they ask. If it does not apply to you answer no. God bless you on your journey and may peace reign in your life.

USCIS

Sent I-130 Petition - 11-23-11

NOA1 - 11-25-11

Sent K-3 Petition - 12-13-11

NOA1 - 12-14-11

RFE for I-130 - 6-4-12

Submitted RFE Info - 8-23-12

Request to Withdraw K-3 Sent - 8-25-12

NOA2 I-130 APPROVED - 8-27-12

NOA2 K-3 APPROVED - 8-27-12

I-797C received in the mail for I-130 ad K-3 - 8-31-12

I-130 was approved 254 days from NOA1 date

NVC

NVC Received/Email Notification - 9-5-12

NVC Case # - 9-5-12

Emailed DS-3032 - 9-6-12

Paid I-864 Fee - 9-6-2012

I-864 PAID - 9-10-12

Sent I-864 - 9-29-12

I-864 accepted - 10-11-12

Sent IV Packet - 9-29-12

RFE for DS230 - 10-11-12

Response to RFE received - 10-15-12

IV Packet accepted

Paid IV bill - 9-10-12

IV bill PAID - 9-20-12

Case Complete

???

USCIS request case be returned to them - 10-18-12

NVC reports case sent back on - 10-22-12

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

O

Your answer to that question is No on the form. Your misdemeanor does not fall into the category that they specified. Don't give more than what is asked for. You will only cause a delay in your case for nothing. I had a domestic charge, so I got the rfe for court papers from 1999. It took 8 mo for an noa2.

O

Your answer to that question is No on the form. Your misdemeanor does not fall into the category that they specified. Don't give more than what is asked for. You will only cause a delay in your case for nothing. I had a domestic charge, so I got the rfe for court papers from 1999. It took 8 mo for an noa2. Just let your beneficiary know about it.

08/01/12-Married08/17/12-Applied for Social Security Card09/23/12-Husband received his Social Security card!09/27/12-Filed AOS09/28/12-AOS package received10/01/12-Text message from USCIS10/03/12-Check cashed10/09/12-NOA1 for I485,I765,I131 AND Biometrics Appointment Letter10/24/12-Biometrics Appointment12/11/12-EAD and AP Approved-75 days12/14/12-EAD/AP Card Production ordered12/21/12-EAD/AP Card came in the mail06/22/13-Green Card Approved06/27/13-Greed Card Production Ordered06/29/13-Green Card came in the mail<p>

04/09/15-Mailed ROC

04/10/2015-Package received

04/14/2015-Check cashed

06/02/2015-Called Service Center (still no NOA1) Service request found out wrong address on paperwork! :(

06/03/2015-Called to get address updated Ar11 online add change didnt work-got infopass for June 10th

06/10/2015-Went to info pass appt. Hubby got a 1yr. Extension stamp in his passport and biometrics done

08/12/2015-ROC Approved. Got letter in the mail.

08/29/2015-received new card in the mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.