RickJovi

Filing marriage in U.S. with Philippine Consulate in Chicago

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Jovi and I are married since July 8, 2012. I know we can report the marriage to the Philippine Consulate in Chicago, Illinois. The questions I have are 1) Will they report it to the NSO Office in Manila so the marriage is recognized, 2) If they d and we want to renew our wedding vows in front of her family and friends, will we be required to get a marriage license and wait the 10 day waiting period, have to get the certificate of legal capacity, get CENOMARS for each of us and attend the BS seminar on family plannig? 3) If we still have to get a marriage license, are there any provisions for couples who are already married wanting to renew thier wedding vows without having to wait the 10 day waiting period and jump through all of these hoops? It seems to me that if you are married in the United States, then the Philippines should recognize it if you produce a certified marriage certicate. I know I can have Jovilyn's passport changed from her maiden name to her married name, but it would require and appearance at the Philippine Consulate unless they happen to visit Indianapolis likee I heard they have a tendency to do by going to other cities. Anyone who has any experiences in what I am asking please feel free to share them with me. Take care.

Rick

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Jovi and I are married since July 8, 2012. I know we can report the marriage to the Philippine Consulate in Chicago, Illinois. The questions I have are 1) Will they report it to the NSO Office in Manila so the marriage is recognized, 2) If they d and we want to renew our wedding vows in front of her family and friends, will we be required to get a marriage license and wait the 10 day waiting period, have to get the certificate of legal capacity, get CENOMARS for each of us and attend the BS seminar on family plannig? 3) If we still have to get a marriage license, are there any provisions for couples who are already married wanting to renew thier wedding vows without having to wait the 10 day waiting period and jump through all of these hoops? It seems to me that if you are married in the United States, then the Philippines should recognize it if you produce a certified marriage certicate. I know I can have Jovilyn's passport changed from her maiden name to her married name, but it would require and appearance at the Philippine Consulate unless they happen to visit Indianapolis likee I heard they have a tendency to do by going to other cities. Anyone who has any experiences in what I am asking please feel free to share them with me. Take care.

Rick

1) Will they report it to the NSO Office in Manila so the marriage is recognized.

I have reported my US marriage to the Philippine Embassy in Los Angeles. My mom then got a copy of my marriage certificate from NSO. My marriage certificate from US was then printed on NSO paper. I didn't have to report it to NSO, the Philippine Embassy did.

2) I don't know but I'd like to find out the answer as well.

===========================

2008-08-16 Sent N-400

2008-08-18 Application Received

2008-08-19 Check Cashed

2008-09-18 Biometrics

2008-12-09 Interview

2009-01-XX Oath (Yay! I'm a citizen)

==========================

07/19 - NOA2 approval

08/20 - Case received at NVC

08/23 - emailed DS-3022

08/25 - mailed AOS

08/27 - received AOS

08/31 - AOS Accepted

09/04 - Received confirmation of DS-3022

09/05 - Received IV invoice

09/05 - Pay IV bill

09/06 - IV showed as paid

09/06 - Send DS-230 packet

09/10 - Received DS-230 packet by NVC

09/17 - DS-230 Accepted/Case Complete

09/28 - Transfer to Manila Embassy

10/02 - Medical Exam at St. Luke's

10/08- 10/10 - Sputum Test

10/09 - Received by Manila Embassy

10/12 - Result of Sputum Test (Need to repeat)

10/16-10/18 - Repeat Sputum Test (Negative)

12/13 - Sputum Final Result (Negative)

12/21 - Interview at Embassy (Approved)

12/28 - Visa Picked Up from 2GO

12/28 - CFO

12/30 - POE (LAX)

You can report your marriage and get your name changed to your married name in your Passport all at the same time. You also do not have to personally go to the Embassy. We did both by mail early 2011. Please look at the Chicago Philippine embassy website for the instructions and forms. Then send in both forms at the same time. This process took about 2 weeks before passport was returned. Please keep copies and pay extra on shipping to track and get signature.

The passport will come back with a page that shows the name change. They do not actually provide new Passport. We went to Philippines this summer on My wifes Married name and did not have any problems (except showing the additional page to one of the customs official).

Rick

You can just send in your report of Marriage to the Embassy in Washington. We did back in July and withing a few days the embassy called to tell me I forgot the check DUH! I sent it right away.

We traveled back to Cebu last month for the family wedding. The family in Cebu had already gone and gotten a copy of our marriage certificate from NSO so it went from the Embassy to the NSO in Cebu quickly. All we did was give the preacher a copy of the wedding certificate, and they just performed a wedding but filed no paperwork.No point since we are already married. Dealing with the Philippine embassy was quick and easy. No problem.

On edit we did not change her passport. We traveled under her maiden name, and had no problems. We will change it when it expires in 2 years. Of course like the OP said changing it is no problem either.

Edited by Run Herschel Run

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can report your marriage and get your name changed to your married name in your Passport all at the same time. You also do not have to personally go to the Embassy. We did both by mail early 2011. Please look at the Chicago Philippine embassy website for the instructions and forms. Then send in both forms at the same time. This process took about 2 weeks before passport was returned. Please keep copies and pay extra on shipping to track and get signature.

The passport will come back with a page that shows the name change. They do not actually provide new Passport. We went to Philippines this summer on My wifes Married name and did not have any problems (except showing the additional page to one of the customs official).

They no longer do amendment of the Philippine passports. Since they have now switch to ePassport system. For married women who wishes to change their name on their passports, they have to appear in person.

I am just using this information from the Philippine Consulate in Australia as the basis of my post.

Married Women changing their Surname

The amendment of the name in the passport is no longer possible under the ePassport system. A married woman who wishes to change her name on the passport using her husband's surname must acquire a new passport.

If the female applicant married in Australia or in any country outside the Philippines.

• The applicant must make a personal appearance at the Philippine Consulate.
  • Duly accomplished Passport Application Form.
  • Original Philippine passport
  • Photocopy of the passport's first page, last page, and Australian visa page.
  • Original and photocopy of Report of Marriage issued by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate General where marriage was reported. The Report of Marriage is required even if the woman did not adopt her husband's name. Refer to the Civil Registry section of this website for information on making a Report of Marriage.
  • Applicants who were granted permanent residency status in Australia before 1 July 2007 must submit documentary proof that they have not yet acquired Australian citizenship: either (a) printed Visa Entitlement Verification Online [VEVO] result of entitlement check dated within [7] days of date of application or (b) DIAC Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status [CERS]issued within three [3] months of the date of application.
  • A non-refundable passport processing fee to be paid either in cash or postal money order payable to the "Philippine Consulate General". Refer to the Schedule of Fees.
  • If the applicant's papers have inconsistencies, the Consulate will require additional documents to validate necessary details.

Please refer to Guidelines for Photo Capture for the ePassport.

If the female applicant was married in the Philippines:

• The applicant must make a personal appearance at the Philippine Consulate.
  • Duly accomplished Passport Application Form.
  • Original Philippine passport.
  • Photocopy of the passport's first page, last page, and Australian visa page.
  • Original and photocopy of the Contract of Marriage issued by the NSO.
  • Applicants who were granted permanent residency status in Australia before 1 July 2007 must submit documentary proof that they have not yet acquired Australian citizenship: either (a) printed Visa Entitlement Verification Online [VEVO] result of entitlement check dated within [7] days of date of application or (b) DIAC Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status [CERS]issued within three [3] months of the date of application.
  • A non-refundable passport processing fee to be paid either in cash or postal money order payable to the "Philippine Consulate General". Refer to the Schedule of Fees.
  • If the applicant's papers have inconsistencies, the Consulate will require additional documents to validate necessary details.

http://www.philippin...ir-surname.html

Edited by let-it-be

Yes, the Philippines Consulate will forward your Report of Marriage to the NSO. However, I heard it may take months.

You can have a renewal of vows ceremony in a Philippines church without having to jump through all the legal hoops of a real marriage. I know someone who did that. All it took was a "donation" to the church.

Why would you want to report marriage in USA to Philippines Embassy?

Because they will report it to the NSO in the Philippines and the Philippines will recognize your marriage. It's really easy, cost only 25 dollars, and as opposed to the Visa process is quick.

It is also a must if your spouse wants to hold dual citizenship or change her name on her Philippine passport.

Because they will report it to the NSO in the Philippines and the Philippines will recognize your marriage. It's really easy, cost only 25 dollars, and as opposed to the Visa process is quick.

It is also a must if your spouse wants to hold dual citizenship or change her name on her Philippine passport.

^^^ This... :thumbs: :thumbs:

Also...to renew a passport.

^^^ This... :thumbs: :thumbs:

Also...to renew a passport.

and as my wife and friends teased me. "You are married in the Philippines know. You ever leave me, no more wife for you from Philippines". They were joking of course. I think.

Honestly not even sure if that is true

and as my wife and friends teased me. "You are married in the Philippines know. You ever leave me, no more wife for you from Philippines". They were joking of course. I think.

Honestly not even sure if that is true

No, the no divorce law applies only to Philippine citizens.

Edited by Mimi and Gary

Timeline

Yes, the Philippines Consulate will forward your Report of Marriage to the NSO. However, I heard it may take months.

You can have a renewal of vows ceremony in a Philippines church without having to jump through all the legal hoops of a real marriage. I know someone who did that. All it took was a "donation" to the church.

We are both Catholic, but had a civil wedding here. So can we do a renewal of vows without a marriage license in a Catholic wedding in the philippines?

We are both Catholic, but had a civil wedding here. So can we do a renewal of vows without a marriage license in a Catholic wedding in the philippines?

Yes you can. My friend did it. Others here on VJ have posted that they did the same thing. I think it depends on whether you can find a priest who will cooperate. In that regard, a donation to the church can be helpful. Have her family talk to their priest. It can be arranged before you travel to 'Pinas.

Timeline

Yes you can. My friend did it. Others here on VJ have posted that they did the same thing. I think it depends on whether you can find a priest who will cooperate. In that regard, a donation to the church can be helpful. Have her family talk to their priest. It can be arranged before you travel to 'Pinas.

Good Idea!:thumbs:

Sent NOA1 April 30th 2011

received May 2nd 2011

NOA1 Notice Date:May 4th 2011

NOA 2 txt/ email on july 18th 2011

NOA 2 received in Mail July 20th dated July 18th 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Personal issue in the Philippines

Medical Exam: March 22nd 2012

Medical Cleared on March 23rd 2012

Interview Date:April 16th, 2012......PASSED

Arrival Los Angeles California: July 7th 2012.

Marriage September 7th 2012 at San Bernardino County Hall of Records

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.