six7one

Balikbayan Box - What Would You Send

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm new to this, where can I find out more about sending a box like that? What is LBC, is that a shipping company?

Anyone have a good recommendation in the Bay Area? I saw yesterday some companies near Seafood City in Vallejo for shipping that kind of box. Are there rules about what can be included?

Do they typically make it there in one piece?

My fiancé is here now, but would be nice to send back some gifts at Christmas.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm new to this, where can I find out more about sending a box like that? What is LBC, is that a shipping company?

Anyone have a good recommendation in the Bay Area? I saw yesterday some companies near Seafood City in Vallejo for shipping that kind of box. Are there rules about what can be included?

Do they typically make it there in one piece?

My fiancé is here now, but would be nice to send back some gifts at Christmas.

Yes, LBC is a shipping company & more. This is their website: http://www.lbcexpress.com/US/Services/

The recommended items are the ff:

1. clothes.bags

2.towels/bedsheets/blankets

3.shoes

4.chocolates

5.canned goods

6. toys

Items that can't be included are also listed in the link: http://www.lbcexpress.com/US/FAQs

Yes, the boxes does make it in one piece. They are known to be a reliable courier.

Edited by let-it-be

Thanks All for the suggestions. Here's what I already have in the box...

Instant Noodles (Sapporo Ichiban of course)

Spam

Corned Beef

Pantene Shampoo (Damn had to be the expensive stuff) :blink:

Pantene Conditioner (see Damn comment right above)

Lotion

Candies

Smoked Sausages

Tabasco

Soap

Tooth Paste

Here's what I may get thanks to some suggestions here on VJ and from some friends...

School Supplies

Rice

Coffee

Creamer

Cookies

Cereal

Any more suggestions are welcomed. My box is about half filled, and for $55 I want to stuff the ####### out of this box.

FYI, I use Forex to ship to the Philippines. LBC is also available, but I don't like the fact I have to bring my stuff to their location and fill the box there. Forex will even pick up my box at my home.

01/12/2013: POE
02/14/2013: MARRIED ON VALENTINE'S DAY!
03/18/2013: AOS Sent via USPS Express Mail
03/28/2013: NOA - AOS, AP, EAD
04/25/2013: Biometrics

05/28/2013: RFEs for EADs and APs

06/17/2013: AOS Interviews. Approved

06/26/2013: Green Cards Received! (APs and EAD also received but not needed)

Removal of Conditions

===================================

03/25/2015: Mailed I-751

04/06/2015: NOA1

05/05/2015: Biometrics

07/27/2015: RFE

09/07/2015: RFE Response - Additional Evidence Sent

11/19/2015: Interview - APPROVED!

12/15/2016: Green Cards Issued!

Timeline

Thanks All for the suggestions. Here's what I already have in the box...

Instant Noodles (Sapporo Ichiban of course)

Spam

Corned Beef

Pantene Shampoo (Damn had to be the expensive stuff) :blink:

Pantene Conditioner (see Damn comment right above)

Lotion

Candies

Smoked Sausages

Tabasco

Soap

Tooth Paste

Here's what I may get thanks to some suggestions here on VJ and from some friends...

School Supplies

Rice

Coffee

Creamer

Cookies

Cereal

Any more suggestions are welcomed. My box is about half filled, and for $55 I want to stuff the ####### out of this box.

FYI, I use Forex to ship to the Philippines. LBC is also available, but I don't like the fact I have to bring my stuff to their location and fill the box there. Forex will even pick up my box at my home.

That's kinda a bummer that the LBC there won't do pick-up. Where I'm from they do pick- up. We didn't avail of it until recently when they closed the one that was close to our house. They relocated near the PDX airport so it was a lot convenient that we didn't have to drive all the way there to drop off the box.

Maybe add towels. It'll serve as an added padding for your other items.

Edited by let-it-be

Timeline

LBC is expensive. We use ALAS and gets there fast and never had a problem.. Make sure you use a lot of tape. When we send them for my wife's family I tape the top and bottom so much you can't see the box. These boxes get thrown around so more tape is better.

Timeline

My father in law loves it when we send beef jerky. If there is kids just go to the local second hand store and buy cloths for a few dollars. Wash them and send them also.

Timeline

LBC is expensive. We use ALAS and gets there fast and never had a problem.. Make sure you use a lot of tape. When we send them for my wife's family I tape the top and bottom so much you can't see the box. These boxes get thrown around so more tape is better.

For a few years LBC's standard box 24 X 18 X 18 was $65. They have reduced it down to $60 now. They don't offer the jumbo size at all. For that price it sure is a heck of a good deal to me. For Mindanao delivery it takes up to 55 days but most of the time it gets to my parents house on the 45th day. Actually the counting starts when they load them up in the container. That's what I was told. I have not tried any other shipping companies so my experience is solely with that of LBC. good.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.