clos

recently applied for I-821D and I-765, I-765WS

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I recently sent my package for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals from I-821D and included the EAD form I-765 and I-765WS.... On the form I-821D its asks "Country of residence?"... I put Mexico since I believed it was asking what country you had legal permanent residency... I live in the USA and haven't been in Mexico for 21 yrs... Now the package was sent already.. will this answer jeopardize my approval???

Hard for anyone to say since it's such a new program, but I would have to go with "probably".

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

Yeah... The application came out that same date... Therefore there was no easy way of getting help to what "country of residency?" was referring to... The whole package contains all the evidence that I currently live in the USA and haven't been back to Mexico... I am just wondering if because I put Mexico instead of USA for that answer.. Will they deny my app?? Its Part 1 Question 9 on form I-821D...

They have the ability to change minor errors. I don't think it will make a difference.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Madagascar
Timeline

Correct response is United States.

As stated previously, it probably won't make a difference though - especially since the "present address" information you completed will clearly state an address in the US.

Edited by Malagasy

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks for the info... This makes me feel better.. Now time to wait for USCIS to process my package... Lets see how long it takes...

My 2 sisters-in-law were told by their immigration lawyer that one tiny mistake on this form will get it denied & there is no way to re-apply or correct the mistake.

Using a lawyer is always the safest bet when your whole life depends on something like this.

I hope everything turns out fine & best of luck.

Started talking online: 12-24-2006

Started dating: 2-22-2007
Engaged: 12-24-2009
Married: 12-19-2010
First appointment with lawyer: 3-16-12
Sent I-130: 4-16-2012
Rcvd NOA1: 5-1-2012
Rcvd NOA2: 10-23-2012
Rcvd NVC bills: 11-02-2012
Paid NVC bills: 1-18-2013
Mailed off NVC docs & Provisional Waiver packet: 3-14-2013
NVC site status confirms "PROCESSING": 3-22-2013

Flew to CDJ: 10-18-2013

Approved for visa: 10-23-2013

Flew home <3 10-26-2010

Timeline

Yeah I know that is why I was worried... I didn't use an attorney because I have a clean file... I also have a B.S in Computer Engineering and M.S in Software Systems Engineering... so the forms where not hard at all to fill out... It is just that Question that bothered me ever since I submitted the package... The reason I answered "Mexico" is because I did not want to say I had legal residency in the USA when we all know we are not(since we are applying for I-821D)

Anyways it was very tricky because Question 8: Country of birth? Question 9: country of residence? Question 10: Country of Citizenship??

So I answered all 3 with Mexico...

Hopefully this wasn't the mistake of my life... :(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would have answered the US but could argue either way.

Try immigrate2us

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

To me it makes no sense being a resident of a country that you do not have an address to. Being a citizen is understandable but a resident is unacceptable. I'm not an immigration lawyer but have been in a long immigration battle with the USCIS. I doubt your application will be tossed because of this - every dealing with USCIS I have had were very professional and backed by the law and not human errors. I've never used a lawyer because most seem to scare and intimidate you and the decent ones that understand the system better then you do charge an arm and a leg!

If you grew up in the United States and have no other country to call home you have no reason to worry. Just my opinion and good luck to us all!!

My 2 sisters-in-law were told by their immigration lawyer that one tiny mistake on this form will get it denied & there is no way to re-apply or correct the mistake.

Using a lawyer is always the safest bet when your whole life depends on something like this.

I hope everything turns out fine & best of luck.

I believe that was your lawyer's pitch for convincing you you needed to pay him/her, not the truth.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Yes I call the U.S my home for the last 21 years continuously... I also believe USCIS will be very professional with the process... I just made a simple mistake... I guess I will be one of the first Dreamers to find out how the process works since I submitted my package the day the application came out... Thanks everyone and lets hope for the best...

08/15/12 Mailed forms(I-821D, I-765, I-765WS) to Phoenix Lockbox

08/16/12 Received confirmation from USPS that package was delivered to USCIS.

Filed: Other Timeline

Yes I call the U.S my home for the last 21 years continuously... I also believe USCIS will be very professional with the process... I just made a simple mistake... I guess I will be one of the first Dreamers to find out how the process works since I submitted my package the day the application came out... Thanks everyone and lets hope for the best...

Please keep me update with your process if you don't mind. I just sent mine in today but forgot to attach 2 passport photos to I-765. Does anyone have any ideas what may happen as a result of that error?

08/15/12 Mailed forms(I-821D, I-765, I-765WS) to Phoenix Lockbox

08/16/12 Received confirmation from USPS that package was delivered to USCIS.

Timeline

Thanks to the quick help of a Texas attorney who provided this link.. The definition DHS uses for Country of residence is:

The country in which an alien habitually resided prior to entering the United States.

Therefore it seems like I answered the question correctly... And if they come back with anything at least I can fight it b/c I now have this DHS link with this definition. Which is exactly what I was thinking when I filled out and sent the form.

I will still keep you updated once I hear back from USCIS...

DHS definition

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.