Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob Rosan

Changing planes

44 posts in this topic Register to Ask a Question

I went through Japan twice, and we were only ushered to the next gate. Nothing required but boarding pass and passport so this is why I question.

Oh yeah. Your question is totally acceptable. I think I learned more about transit visas here on VJ than anywhere else.

It has to do with the amount of hours in the layover. Japan and Turkey are some of the countries that sometimes request transit visas for people of specific countries (not to everyone). For example, in Turkey, if they are not staying overnight, you don't need a transit visa... otherwise, you do.

Oh yeah. Your question is totally acceptable. I think I learned more about transit visas here on VJ than anywhere else.

It has to do with the amount of hours in the layover. Japan and Turkey are some of the countries that sometimes request transit visas for people of specific countries (not to everyone). For example, in Turkey, if they are not staying overnight, you don't need a transit visa... otherwise, you do.

Sure, I understand although that's a bit ambiguous with the layover hours. I suppose one should figure out how long they expect to stay? I haven't found that regarding Japan specifically. We were there for a couple of hours. We went through a security check. There was no customs check. Filipino citizens are one nationality required to have a transit visa for the purpose of a transit visa in Japan. The more I read on it, the more it seems to only be for those wishing to leave the airport and stay in Japan a few days before connecting to their destination. If Japan was the destination, a tourist visa would be needed. I really just don't think a Filipino is going to have a problem with a connecting flight given that they aren't staying a full day or more or leaving the airport. I've yet to find the contrary. I've learned a great deal here too, but I like sources and verification. It seems the best source other than word of mouth on this thread would be to contact the embassy with the email address or phone number I provided in the previous link. That's what I would use to get my answer in this case.

Edited by ToddnJessa

I couldn't get a ticket to go in mexico bz i had the connection for 1 hour in US.

I was referring to Japan and Filipinos going through Japan to the US specifically because the OP is Filipino and inquiring of Japan, and you are talking about destination Mexico with a stop through the US!

Edited by ToddnJessa

If you can't reach someone at the embassy, the next best place to call is JAL (Japan Airlines), as they are the flag carrier of Japan and more than likely they would know if certain nationals would need a transit visa in Japan. ;)

But just for reference, the 3 times I had connecting flights in Japan, two of my layovers were only between 1 to 3 hours. The other 1, I was only at Narita for a few minutes - I almost missed my connecting flight because my previous flight was delayed. Thankfully there were only a few passengers on that flight (small plane) so they waited (and there were about 3 or 4 of us from the previous delayed flight).

Example: This past June I flew American Airlines to the Philippines and fortunately I noticed that I had a change of Airport for the second flight with American. I had to go through customs and get a 90 day visa stamp (which is not an issue with a USC) but it caused a big problem for a family from the Philippines because they did not have an entry visa.

If you arrive at Narita and your connecting flight is Haneda then you need a transit visa. No matter who you are because you left the arriving airport to go to the second airport for your connecting flight.

Generally the airline will catch it when you depart by denying you passage on the flight and in this case they did not catch it because it was the same airline.

I can tell you that it was a breeze going through their customs. Even on the return trip I had to get another 90 day transit visa because I arrived at one airport and had to leave from the second airport.

If you arrive and leave from the same airport without leaving the airport you do not need a transit visa......

Edited by mik2012

I've never heard of anyone needing a visa for a connecting flight. Japan is not the destination. Honestly, why would Japan require a visa for passengers being herded from one plane to another?

Try flying through Toronto. You DO get your passport stamped when you make a connecting flight there, and if you are not yet an LPR you will NOT be allowed on the plane without a Canadian visa. Lesson learned by me about a year ago.

My Fiancee is Flying from Cebu to Tokyo to Chicago on a K1 will it cause issues ? or is a japan visa need also?

Its connecting flight and she don't need visa in japan all she need to show in japan immig. is her ticket and passport...

I've never heard of anyone needing a visa for a connecting flight. Japan is not the destination. Honestly, why would Japan require a visa for passengers being herded from one plane to another?

Try flying through Toronto. You DO get your passport stamped when you make a connecting flight there, and if you are not yet an LPR you will NOT be allowed on the plane without a Canadian visa. Lesson learned by me about a year ago.

Again, I was referring to Filipinos coming to the USA through a connecting flight in JAPAN as the OP is a Filipino questioning a connecting flight in Japan. We can talk all day about the differences between connecting countries and destinations, but this is not the purpose nor questioning in this thread.

My Fiancee is Flying from Cebu to Tokyo to Chicago on a K1 will it cause issues ? or is a japan visa need also?

You don't need a visa. I used to fly Cebu-Japan-Chicago with no problem and someone from Japan airport will assist you for your connecting flight. They will just ask for your passport and ticket.

A friend, GC holder in the US travelling to Germany for younger sisters cermony went London France Germany, he was detained in

France not allowed to get on his plane that was about to leave as he had no transist visa, he flew straight back to the US &

the travel agency did not believe they dropped the ball, always check a country consulate that U will go thru, dont take things for granted, some countries like US gotta have it.(transist visa)

Japan airports are more of a pain to get through but unless they changed since last August all she will do is go through a Transit area. Alot of walking down to main floor then through Transit area where she will go through security again like we all have too. They will check for her USA airline ticket, visa etc then back up stairs after security and to her new gate for the USA. I am certain in the event of a delay or any issues she will not be thrown out if the airport closes. Most if not all airports in the World stop flying from 11pm ish until 4AM ish. Only inbound aircrafts come in and these are few and far between. Once again she should not have any issues. Hey good luck. Your bride to be will be here soon.. Congrats

Back to Top ↑

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Try asking our VJ Immigration Lawyers.