sasaqlain

Are Minor Traffic Violations considered as crime and should be mentioned?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I have been reading contradictory posts on VJ and would like some input from members with concrete knowledge on the issue. I received a ticket for talking on a cell phone while driving about 3 years ago. Ofcourse I paid it off within a week. I got the impression from posts here that such minor offenses are not to be mentioned and thus ticked "NO" to all such questions during the ROC. Everything went well and I did the same when filing for N400. Now I have come across posts where members are talking about ticking "Yes" to questions where it says if a crime/offense has been committed without arrest. If that is true, I may have made mistakes on my application and what should my next course of action be? I know, these petty offenses don't carry any weight, but I don't want to be held for lying, which was never my intention. Your advice and experience would be appreciated.

Thank You.

IR5 For Parent

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I did an accident 2 years ago, I was a beginning driver, and I got 2 points and paid some fines, under $200. My insurance company paid the same, all together around $400. I did not mention it in my N-400. As I understood an instruction, we don't have to file any traffic violations that costs less than $500.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Misdiminor and felonies show up on your records traffic violations are infractions not a major issue.I got a citation for going over 100mph chased down by helicopters and 2 police cars. ... not attentional and it was kinda stupid I had just taken my last final at a very difficult university and was graduating it was like a celebrative expression that cost 2,395 total. I think DUI costs less! (Which they do consider). Talking on cellphone is a minor thing so is speeding unless you exceed 100mph and they take you to jail.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Pakistan
Timeline

For the best answer is that u call uscis customer service number. I also got ticket violation so i called uscis customer service and they told me if there was no arrest then its ok not to mention it as traffic violation is not a crime but incase u mention still its ok. Hope my answer provide u ease.

PUNJABI

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Misdiminor and felonies show up on your records traffic violations are infractions not a major issue.

Misdemeanors are not a big deal, however a felony charge certainly is a HUGE BIGGIE. Omitting a misdemeanor charge would likely be forgiven, but omitting a felony charge.......ummmm.....don't do that :blink:

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I have been reading contradictory posts on VJ and would like some input from members with concrete knowledge on the issue. I received a ticket for talking on a cell phone while driving about 3 years ago. Ofcourse I paid it off within a week. I got the impression from posts here that such minor offenses are not to be mentioned and thus ticked "NO" to all such questions during the ROC. Everything went well and I did the same when filing for N400. Now I have come across posts where members are talking about ticking "Yes" to questions where it says if a crime/offense has been committed without arrest. If that is true, I may have made mistakes on my application and what should my next course of action be? I know, these petty offenses don't carry any weight, but I don't want to be held for lying, which was never my intention. Your advice and experience would be appreciated.

Thank You.

You're fine but do mention it to the IO at interview so the IO can correct it on your application. It's not uncommon people forget about a ticket. Just tell the IO you had forgotten about this incident and you would like to add it to your application. If you still have the ticket, bring it together with proof of payment.

N-400 application timeline

02-22-2012-- (00): documents sent

02-23-2012-- (01): NOA date

02-27-2012-- (05): check cashed

03-02-2012-- (09): bio appointment notice sent, bio date 03-15 (23)

03-05-2012-- (12): bio notice received

03-06-2012-- (13): early bio

03-12-2012-- (19): in line for interview scheduling

03-21-2012-- (28): scheduled for interview

03-28-2012-- (35): interview notice received

05-02-2012-- (70): interview. Rec. for Approval!

05-16-2012-- (84): in line for oath scheduling

06-19-2012-(118): scheduled for oath

06-21-2012-(120): oath letter received

07-06-2012-(135): oath

Passport application timeline

07-10-2012-- (00): application sent (card+book/routine service)

07-17-2012-- (07): application status online

07-26-2012-- (16): application on hold (name too long)

07-28-2012-- (18): RFI Tucson passport center (proposed shortened name) letter received

07-30-2012-- (20): reply sent to Tucson passport center

08-18-2012-- (39): passport book received

08-21-2012-- (42): passport card received

08-21-2012-- (42): CON received

Thank You.

If you are looking for a definite answer, there isn't at all. The optimal answer is what everyone has been saying,which is answer no on the form BUT mention it during the interview verbally to the interviewer along with evidence of paying

These questions have sparked huge debate, along with Selective Service System question

Lol that was the same admonition I got from a friend

Honestly it all boils down to you and where your interview is..some states are picky while some are relaxed. Some said that younot mentioning it might make be detrimental towards your good moral character

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Do not mention it, who knows what kind of mood they are in and may ask you for evidence of how you took care of the tickets. If you are not arrested then its not necessary to mention anything.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Like I said before, I would not include it, and did not include it in my N400, just finished the process a few days ago. I have sppeding tickets in NY and PA with a total of 8 points on my license.

USCIS:

06/06/2012: Sent I-130 to VSC (as LPR)

06/08/2012: NOA1 (Priority Date)

06/12/2012: Touched

08/20/2012: Mailed VSC request for Upgrade to CR1

08/23/2012: Opened Request with USCIS for Upgrade to CR1

08/27/2012: Got Email confirming upgrade to IR1/CR1

11/13/2012: NOA2

NVC:

11/16/2012: NVC Received (NVC # not ready)

11/19/2012: BOG number/IIN - Gave emails

11/19/2012: Choice of Agent email sent

11/20/2012: AOS bill invoiced

11/20/2012: AOS bill paid shows in process

11/21/2012: AOS package sent

11/21/2012: AOS bill shows PAID

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email sent (again)

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email accepted

11/23/2012: IV bill invoiced

11/23/2012: IV bill paid

11/26/2012: IV package sent

11/26/2012: IV bill shows PAID

12/07/2012: AOS accepted

12/10/2012: IV Accepted

12/10/2012: Case complete

12/13/2012: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Bogota:

01/25/2013: Lab Visit

01/28/2013: Medical

01/30/2013: Interview

02/05/2013: Email Waybill (5PM)

02/06/2013: Visa in hand

02/08/2013: POE JFK, NY

I don't believe this matters at all or 1/4 of us would be in trouble. Especially if they ask for your PERMANET RECORD- whatever that is.

From Grade School and High School ? :innocent:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Never mention it during interview because it will create problems for you. if you didn't mention anything in the forms then don't mention it during interview!!

Don't you think the government have every possible state and governmental system at their disposal and will probably have all this information?

K1
VSC NOA1 --- March 8, 2012
NOA2 --- October 11, 2012
Visa Approved --- December 17, 2012
POE --- December 22, 2012

AOS
AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 --- March 4, 2013
Biometrics --- April 3, 2013

EAD/AP received --- May 16, 2013

AOS Interview --- August 9, 2013

GC in production --- August 9, 2013

GC received --- August 17, 2013

N400

Approved May, 2018

Oath May, 2018

I130 - Nebraska SC

NOA1 - August 30, 2018

Case approved - August 28, 2019

NVC -

Interview -

I am the USC who brought my fiancé here on a K1,  who's now a USC and is now filing for his mother - whose case just got approved :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.