carolinadan86

Visa waiver and getting married?! Help greatly appreciated!

33 posts in this topic

You don't file at your Ft. Lauderdale office. Why does a DL matter? Maybe you don't drive? If you do, maybe the state allows you up to a year before switching? Maybe it doesn't, and you committed the smallest of crimes, even less serious than a parking ticket? Why do you think USCIS is mixed up with operational licenses?

Anyway, have fun getting married!

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Country: Czech Republic
Timeline

You don't file at your Ft. Lauderdale office. Why does a DL matter? Maybe you don't drive? If you do, maybe the state allows you up to a year before switching? Maybe it doesn't, and you committed the smallest of crimes, even less serious than a parking ticket? Why do you think USCIS is mixed up with operational licenses?

Anyway, have fun getting married!

What? I'm a confused by your statement. I've only been living in FL now for 3 months so I don't have a FL drivers license yet. Mine is from NC. I'm wondering if I need to get that changed before we file for AOS since we're living here now.

In other words: If I walk into the Miami office (or the office that serves my area, whatever) to file, with a NC driver's license are they going to say "oh no you need to go to the office in Charlotte, NC because your license is from there"??? That's like a 12 hour drive and I only have 1 weeks paid vacation in my first year at this company...

Timeline

What? I'm a confused by your statement. I've only been living in FL now for 3 months so I don't have a FL drivers license yet. Mine is from NC. I'm wondering if I need to get that changed before we file for AOS since we're living here now.

In other words: If I walk into the Miami office (or the office that serves my area, whatever) to file, with a NC driver's license are they going to say "oh no you need to go to the office in Charlotte, NC because your license is from there"??? That's like a 12 hour drive and I only have 1 weeks paid vacation in my first year at this company...

I realize that you probably mail the AOS in and don't have to "walk-in" as I just said. But, since I'm also assuming that you mail the AOS, you'll need to mail it to the correct location that serves your area yes? So in our case...do I mail it to the one that serves my old address on my NC license (it's also the address on my passport) or do I send it into the office that handles cases in FL???? I just don't want to send it to the wrong place and have a big screw up. Can I legally put my new address on all the USCIS forms when I haven't yet changed my NC driver's license to a FL one with that address??? :wacko:

No, that won't happen. I was trying to show that USCIS has no interest or jurisdiction in your automobile operation license. Your license doesn't "own" where you live. But maybe your confusion comes with the following statement: You do not "walk into" an office to file. If you read the instructions, all packages are sent via post to a Lockbox in Chicago. They will, months down the road, send your file to the office having jurisdiction over where you live (which is FL). Your license will never be a part of the process. Better? :)

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

I realize that you probably mail the AOS in and don't have to "walk-in" as I just said. But, since I'm also assuming that you mail the AOS, you'll need to mail it to the correct location that serves your area yes? So in our case...do I mail it to the one that serves my old address on my NC license (it's also the address on my passport) or do I send it into the office that handles cases in FL???? I just don't want to send it to the wrong place and have a big screw up. Can I legally put my new address on all the USCIS forms when I haven't yet changed my NC driver's license to a FL one with that address??? :wacko:

Passports don't have addresses on it. Bet you $10,000.

Your license does not "own" where you live. Where you live is where you sleep at night.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Passports don't have addresses on it. Bet you $10,000.

Um...can I get in on that?

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

Timeline

Hahaha, yeah I'm not even sure because I'm at work (working hard obviously :innocent: ) haha!

I just assume it would have my address in it since everything else in the world requires your address. When I go home tonight I'll check. Either way I guess it doesn't matter since I mail it to Chicago. I guess on all the USCIS papers I'll put the FL address.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Your DL is not required... you can have NC or FL DL and it does not make any diff.

Unless it is a requirement in FL to get married...which I dont know.

You do not file at Miami or FL office for AOL... you will have to look in the instruction which office you have to send your application to.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Why cant you get FL license? My wife had DL from CO, and when she moved to FL this Jan, 2012, then she got her FL license within January ( right away ).

XrVRp5.png

My driver's license, at the time of AOS, was from Finland. I still didn't send the paperwork to Finland - I sent it to Chicago Lockbox, as do all those who file AOS within the US. Your DL really plays absolutely NO role in this process. Your local office, which will handle the interview, will be determined by your current address that you put in your forms. And No - passports, at least none that I have ever seen, have addresses on them.

On a bit unrelated, personal-rant-note, I think it is stupid that US DLs have addresses on them in general. No other card I carry on me has my address on them, but the US DL does - if my wallet gets stolen, not only do I have to worry about getting all my cards cancelled and re-issued, but I also have to worry about some possible nut-job knowing where I live. Absolutely ridiculous.

Anyways - DL does not matter for AOS.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Lot of states have changed the law... I believe even in Tx one needs to prove they been living there for 90 days.

It's 30 days, not 90, and that requirement is waived for people surrendering a valid out of state licence.

http://www.txdps.sta...cyReqNonCDL.htm

I took a bank account statement and the letter from DHS / USCIS showing an approved I-765.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

My driver's license, at the time of AOS, was from Finland. I still didn't send the paperwork to Finland - I sent it to Chicago Lockbox, as do all those who file AOS within the US. Your DL really plays absolutely NO role in this process. Your local office, which will handle the interview, will be determined by your current address that you put in your forms. And No - passports, at least none that I have ever seen, have addresses on them.

On a bit unrelated, personal-rant-note, I think it is stupid that US DLs have addresses on them in general. No other card I carry on me has my address on them, but the US DL does - if my wallet gets stolen, not only do I have to worry about getting all my cards cancelled and re-issued, but I also have to worry about some possible nut-job knowing where I live. Absolutely ridiculous.

Anyways - DL does not matter for AOS.

I never even thought of that. Would make more sense if they were microchipped or something so the police could see the address and not any random person.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just want to be a pain and say, my husband's Canadian passport has his address in it. Page 4. :D

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

I just want to be a pain and say, my husband's Canadian passport has his address in it. Page 4. :D

Canada? pssh Canada doesn't count :P

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.