Joseyjava

Citizenship Denied

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a friend and his citizenship was denied, I really didnlt ask for the details, but he told me when he had his interview to migrate in the US he said that he was not married, but when he applied for his ctizenship he claims they found out he was married before he even get here in the US. and now his greencard is about to expires. what he should do?

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

Marriage (if applicable): 2006-03-26

I-130 Sent : 2012-02-01

I-130 NOA1 : 2012-02-03

I-130 RFE : NO RFE

I-130 RFE Sent : NO RFE

I-130 Approved : 2012-05-29

NVC Received : 2012-06-27

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2012-06-27

Pay I-864 Bill 2012-06-28

Receive I-864 Package : 2012-07-05

Return Completed I-864 :

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2012-07-10

Receive IV Bill : 2012-07-11

Pay IV Bill : 2012-07-11

Receive Instruction Package : 2012-07-12

Case Completed at NVC : 2012-07-24

NVC Left : 2012-07-24

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received : 2012-07-31

Interview Date : 2012-09- 11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Based on what you said, I think he is beyond help. It's just a matter of time when USCIS will divert their attention to his case and charge him with fraud.

IR5 For Parent

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I have a friend and his citizenship was denied, I really didnlt ask for the details, but he told me when he had his interview to migrate in the US he said that he was not married, but when he applied for his ctizenship he claims they found out he was married before he even get here in the US. and now his greencard is about to expires. what he should do?

If his being married would have had no bearing on his immigration process to the US in the eyes of the USCIS, he should be able to renew his green card and remain a LPR, his fault being lying to an immigration officer in the process of obtaining citizenship. A lawyer might be able to help him straighten the record. However, if his marriage abroad should have prevented him from obtaining LPR status, he might consider leaving the country voluntarily before deportation proceedings are brought about. It can get ugly in these cases.

Good luck!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

First for any help one will need the details without details not much can be done.

Your friend lied on his application… his whole visa was illegal hence his claim to citizenship is void.

Why should there be amnesty or help for someone who lied and tried to cheat the system?

Unfortunately your friend did not listen to right advice and in haste to cut down the waiting time cheated the system for which he is paying now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
his fault being lying to an immigration officer in the process of obtaining citizenship.

Lying to a Federal Official is a criminal offense in the USA. Making false statements (18 U.S.C. § 1001) is the common name for the United States federal crime laid out in Section 1001 of Title 18 of the United States Code, which generally prohibits lying to or concealing (information) from a federal official by oral affirmation, written statement or mere denial.

I doubt a lawyer can straighten that out.

Edited by Lansbury

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Lying to a Federal Official is a criminal offense in the USA. Making false statements (18 U.S.C. § 1001) is the common name for the United States federal crime laid out in Section 1001 of Title 18 of the United States Code, which generally prohibits lying to or concealing (information) from a federal official by oral affirmation, written statement or mere denial.

I doubt a lawyer can straighten that out.

Since we don't know what really happened, we can only speculate. It would be unwise to make any calls based on hearsay.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Since we don't know what really happened, we can only speculate. It would be unwise to make any calls based on hearsay.

No disrespect towards you Gegel.

It is obvious that the OP is asking for opinion and advise based on the information given. Isn't everything here on VJ hearsay?

2 main points.

1-denied being married in interview to immigrate

2-USCIS finds out he is and has been married prior to date of original interview and has a sworn statement from his previous interview claiming single.

The OP's friend did not claim that he is "not" married and USCIS made a mistake.

This is fairly straight forward.

Edited by Que Saudade

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

How did he not know he was married? :bonk:

K1
VSC NOA1 --- March 8, 2012
NOA2 --- October 11, 2012
Visa Approved --- December 17, 2012
POE --- December 22, 2012

AOS
AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 --- March 4, 2013
Biometrics --- April 3, 2013

EAD/AP received --- May 16, 2013

AOS Interview --- August 9, 2013

GC in production --- August 9, 2013

GC received --- August 17, 2013

N400

Approved May, 2018

Oath May, 2018

I130 - Nebraska SC

NOA1 - August 30, 2018

Case approved - August 28, 2019

NVC -

Interview -

I am the USC who brought my fiancé here on a K1,  who's now a USC and is now filing for his mother - whose case just got approved :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Feel sorry for him... Don't try to lie in the USCIS because they will find out... Will he need to do what he got to do before his GC expire. Its too hard to be illegal in the USA.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

Filing date: April 23, 2011

I-485 Biometrics Appt Date: May 16,2011

I-485 Approval Date:June 26 , 2011

I-485 Approved: Approved

Green Card received Date: August 04,2011

Gegel is saying that we are not 100% sure whether his visa/greencard was originally given on condition of marriage. While he DID make a false statement when originally asked about prior marriage status, (and this is the part where I say I'm not actually too knowledgeable about the situation) if it was NOT given on condition (i.e. he was going to get visa/LPR through some other avenue, during which they asked about his marriage status), his punishment may not be as severe as automatically being deported. But yes, clearly he may very well be.

It is obvious that the OP is asking for opinion and advise based on the information given. Isn't everything here on VJ hearsay?

2 main points.

1-denied being married in interview to immigrate

2-USCIS finds out he is and has been married prior to date of original interview and has a sworn statement from his previous interview claiming single.

The OP's friend did not claim that he is "not" married and USCIS made a mistake.

This is fairly straight forward.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

The answer to this question is NO!

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Don't worry. I don't take any comments as disrespectful and I do see your point as well. What we don't know is the relevance of his marriage in his immigration process during the LPR process. It goes without saying that if he obtained his green card through marriage to a US citizen he is up the creek with no paddle. However, if his marital status represented no deciding factor in that process, he can certainly seek to redress the situation by appealing to our legal system. I do not wish to presume to guarantee any results so much as I wanted to point out that it may be well worth his while to have his day in court over this matter. That is the call to which I referred in my previous post.

On a personal note, I believe we are all here to bounce ideas from each other in a collaborative experience and that is how I took your comments. There is absolutely no disrespect in questioning someone else's point of view and if we all agreed all the time, there would be no edification to anyone. good.gif

Thanks Gegel for your reply. I concur 100%. But, the law is on the books about lying (or any semantics thereof) to a federal official. The intention of the lie has very little bearing. In essence, perjury has been committed. Even if there are other factors, USCIS has and is calling him out on it.

A "good" lawyer is definitely in order should he even have hopes of getting through this legally.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Thanks Gegel for your reply. I concur 100%. But, the law is on the books about lying (or any semantics thereof) to a federal official. The intention of the lie has very little bearing. In essence, perjury has been committed. Even if there are other factors, USCIS has and is calling him out on it.

A "good" lawyer is definitely in order should he even have hopes of getting through this legally.

I thought visa journey was about giving people good advices but not to criticize people. However I found some harsh comments in this tread. I didn't expect that from here. We all know that he lies but don't make it worse by criticizing. As a matter of fact we all were and are aliens. Edited by Presley

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.