khwaidee1

Does the I-134 Affidavit of Support need to be notarized?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I noticed on the embassy web site the following:

"We will contact the applicant only after we receive all the requested documents. Please include contact information with any documents you submit to us by mail or fax. For certain documents, such as the Affidavit of Support, we must have original, notarized documents and cannot accept fax copies."

Is this true? I had not heard this before. It is not a problem, just don't want to get to the interview and find out. And, does it have to notarized at the embassy or can I use a state notary here in Calif.?

Thanks.

Edited by khwaidee1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

"We will contact the applicant only after we receive all the requested documents. Please include contact information with any documents you submit to us by mail or fax. For certain documents, such as the Affidavit of Support, we must have original, notarized documents and cannot accept fax copies."

Is this true? I had not heard this before. It is not a problem, just don't want to get to the interview and find out. And, does it have to notarized at the embassy or can I use a state notary here in Calif.?

Thanks.

NO. You as a USC are signing under penalty of perjury. It needs to be the application that you signed. Not a photocopy of.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Timeline

I was just remembering that Mari's birth certificate had to be an "original". Hence it was signed and certified from Brazil (portuguese). The translation to english had to be certified, we got that done here in the states. Out of the K1 process, that is the only thing I remember that had to be certified/notarized.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Timeline

I was just remembering that Mari's birth certificate had to be an "original". Hence it was signed and certified from Brazil (portuguese). The translation to english had to be certified, we got that done here in the states. Out of the K1 process, that is the only thing I remember that had to be certified/notarized.

Thanks! Yes, we are submitting the original signed I-134 with Packet 3. Likewise, I got my fiancee's birth certificate, name change certificate and her marriage certificate signed and certified by her Amphur (local government) and had them translated by a certified translation service. I also had a copy of my divorce decree notarized (certified true and correct copy).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It is wise to follow the specific instructions of the interviewing embassy, they all can be a little different.

Good luck on your visa journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Thanks! Yes, we are submitting the original signed I-134 with Packet 3. Likewise, I got my fiancee's birth certificate, name change certificate and her marriage certificate signed and certified by her Amphur (local government) and had them translated by a certified translation service. I also had a copy of my divorce decree notarized (certified true and correct copy).

You will need this information again when you file adjustment of status after you are married here in the US. It almost is the same thing over again. One of the drawbacks for the K1 route. Keep copies of EVERYTHING.!!!

this link has some good info for you if you already haven't seen it.

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Thailand&cty=Bangkok

Good luck

P.S. I would advise getting 2 of everything for her while she is still in Thailand. 2 birth certificates etc... very hard to get later. Just something to contemplate.

P.S.S. A&B is correct. All consulates are not equal. The link above is for your consulate... Follow their rules...

Edited by Que Saudade

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

There is nothing wrong with what you did but it wasnt required. Notaries verify signatures and have nothing to do with content of a document. It would serve no purpose to turn in someone elses divorce docs for example.

The "certification" of the translations can be done by anyone competent in both languages. The actual certification is the statement they sign indicating they are.

See the sample form I copied here. Something like this is all thats required.

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address

Timeline

There is nothing wrong with what you did but it wasnt required. Notaries verify signatures and have nothing to do with content of a document. It would serve no purpose to turn in someone elses divorce docs for example.

The "certification" of the translations can be done by anyone competent in both languages. The actual certification is the statement they sign indicating they are.

See the sample form I copied here. Something like this is all thats required.

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address

I had to get certified copies of her birth certificate, name change with the red stamp and signature from her Amphur so they could be translated and I then used the United States Certified Translation Services to do the translation as they were recommended by U.S. government. They then provided me with a certified/notarized translation.

Timeline

Your I-134 does NOT need to be notarized. You MUST submit an original I-134 application. If you feel the need for further clarification, please feel free to email the consulate in question and see what they have to say. Posting another thread will not get you different answers.

When filling out these applications, fulfill the instructions of the individual form form. You, as the USC, are signing the I-134 under penalty of perjury. If you lie, you go to jail. (or some version thereof).

A notary only certifies the validity of a signature, not the contents of the document.

Edited by Que Saudade

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Timeline

Your I-134 does NOT need to be notarized. You MUST submit an original I-134 application. If you feel the need for further clarification, please feel free to email the consulate in question and see what they have to say. Posting another thread will not get you different answers.

When filling out these applications, fulfill the instructions of the individual form form. You, as the USC, are signing the I-134 under penalty of perjury. If you lie, you go to jail. (or some version thereof).

A notary only certifies the validity of a signature, not the contents of the document.

Thank you. I just wanted to check to make sure we are doing everything by the book so to speak. And, I was not looking for "different" answers, it occurred to me after posting here that maybe I should try the country specific forum. I posted a general question and was expecting general answers from someone that went through the same process. I was just referencing what it said on the web site.

Timeline

Thank you. I just wanted to check to make sure we are doing everything by the book so to speak. And, I was not looking for "different" answers, it occurred to me after posting here that maybe I should try the country specific forum. I posted a general question and was expecting general answers from someone that went through the same process. I was just referencing what it said on the web site.

No worries. Just make sure it is original, meaning your ink on the application. No photocopies. I have yet to have anything notarized. Keep copies of everything. As I have mentioned, you will basically fill out the same forms again after you get married and file AOS.

Yeah, it does make one nervous when worrying about these forms. But, the instructions on the website are separated by commas and has an "or" between them. If an instruction on a form states needing to be notarized, then it applies. But, on the I-134 form it states

"Form I-134 must be signed in your full name. (Note: Signing Form I-134 is under penalty of perjury under U.S. law). For this reason, it is not necessary to sign Form I-134 before a notary, nor to have your signature notarized after you sign it."

Good luck, you will be fine as you are trying your best to pay attention to the details.

Edited by Que Saudade

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Timeline

No worries. Just make sure it is original, meaning your ink on the application. No photocopies. I have yet to have anything notarized. Keep copies of everything. As I have mentioned, you will basically fill out the same forms again after you get married and file AOS.

Yeah, it does make one nervous when worrying about these forms. But, the instructions on the website are separated by commas and has an "or" between them. If an instruction on a form states needing to be notarized, then it applies. But, on the I-134 form it states

"Form I-134 must be signed in your full name. (Note: Signing Form I-134 is under penalty of perjury under U.S. law). For this reason, it is not necessary to sign Form I-134 before a notary, nor to have your signature notarized after you sign it."

Good luck, you will be fine as you are trying your best to pay attention to the details.

Thank you. Yes, we are both trying to pay attention to the details that is why she insisted on getting the Marriage Certificate even though she was never married and has no children because as she said, "Better to have and not need", who am I to argue with that logic! And, as you you suggested, I have made heaps of copies, I have our file with with coipes of everything, a dummy file of that and a third back up! I will take no chances!

post-135423-0-11042500-1343580288_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

Each Embassy has its own rules. If they want it notarized, get it notarized (state side) and then send it to your future spouse. We had similar in Poland, though with a twist: only the Polish version of the instructions noted the document had to be notarized. We did. The wait is long already to add to it. Costs nothing to notarize, but time is of the essence.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.