Tourseasia

Change passport name from marriage to US citizen

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just got married in May this year, I'm a US citizen, my spouse's a filipina and her Philippine passport is good till Oct2015. In two years we will start the I-130, IR-1 Visa process and hopefully will get the visa to leave which would be before the passport expires.

But she will need a new passport with my last name as hers on it, before we can start the the petition/visa process.

All documents must match the passport which is the sole identification for immigration processing.

So she went to the Dept Veteran Affairs with a filled out passport application form, with NSO marriage certif, BC and they told her she has to wait til the old passport expires, OR get a CFO certificate from Manila & a Affidavit of early renewal.

I thought CFO was just for leaving the country, no mention of getting a visa was mentioned or leaving the country. Why does she need this for a passport name change since the seminar deals with living overseas?

And doesn't this CFO also require a NBI clearance, which she didn't need for the passport the first time, nor was this mentioned at the DVA.

Any help appreciated :)

Edited by Tourseasia

Just got married in May this year, I'm a US citizen, my spouse's a filipina and her Philippine passport is good till Oct2015. In two years we will start the I-130, IR-1 Visa process and hopefully will get the visa to leave which would be before the passport expires.

But she will need a new passport with my last name as hers on it, before we can start the the petition/visa process.

All documents must match the passport which is the sole identification for immigration processing.

So she went to the Dept Veteran Affairs with a filled out passport application form, with NSO marriage certif, BC and they told her she has to wait til the old passport expires, OR get a CFO certificate from Manila & a Affidavit of early renewal.

I thought CFO was just for leaving the country, no mention of getting a visa was mentioned or leaving the country. Why does she need this for a passport name change since the seminar deals with living overseas?

And doesn't this CFO also require a NBI clearance, which she didn't need for the passport the first time, nor was this mentioned at the DVA.

I am a Filipina married to a USC...my passport will expire Oct. 2013 but status was single.. I renewed my passport last June 23 2012 so I can use my married name but you need an affidavit (which can be done inside the DFA office also) for change of surname.One of DFA's requirements for passport application is the CFO certificate for filipinos who are married to foreign nationals. And it is DFA Department of Foreign Affairs not DVT.

Edited by gwendolyn40

read the DFA site here: http://www.dfa.gov.ph/main/index.php/renewal-of-passport

You just need to make a personal appearance and bring you NSO copy of the marriage certificate.

I had my wife wait to renew her passport until we got the NOA2 (so we were halfway through the process before changing her passport name) that way her passport would be good for the longest time possible when she got to the US. My wife still had 2 years of validity when she renewed her passport. She had no problems getting renewed that early as she was changing to married name in the passport. Also, the CFO seminar is due after she gets her visa and at that time the passport and visa will need the names to be matching.

You can start the process without changing the passport name...just start the paper with married name how it will be on the passport.

Edited by Scott and Mhay

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Timeline

Thanks for your replies;

Nice how instead of handing her the affidavit form she needed from the DFA office and saying "you need this form", they just tell her what she needs and then say "next!"??

So you have done just this process, so what documents did you have to bring to Manila to register for the CFO certificate seminar? The website lists NBI clearance and Visa requirements but thats for leaving the country, she just needs to change her passport name.

I know you need this when you get your visa to leave, don't understand why its required for a passport name change since CFO is for Overseas travel...

@Scott and Mhay

The website mentions nothing of a CFO. Yes I already changed insurance & beneficiary papers with her married name since that is what she is going to have on her final passport.

:)

Edited by Tourseasia

Thanks for your replies;

Nice how instead of handing her the affidavit form she needed from the DFA office and saying "you need this form", they just tell her what she needs and then say "next!"??

So you have done just this process, so what documents did you have to bring to Manila to register for the CFO certificate seminar? The website lists NBI clearance and Visa requirements but thats for leaving the country, she just needs to change her passport name.

I know you need this when you get your visa to leave, don't understand why its required for a passport name change since CFO is for Overseas travel...

@Scott and Mhay

The website mentions nothing of a CFO. Yes I already changed insurance & beneficiary papers with her married name since that is what she is going to have on her final passport.

:)

Hi...you need the CFO certificate for the passport processing (compulsory) but if you don't have a visa yet they will not put a sticker on your passport. You need the CFO sticker for travelling ..without the sticker you are not allowed to leave the country...so to have a sticker, you need the CFO certificate ....to sum it up..1. CFO seminar is required for passport application for those who marry a foreign national who wish to change surname 2. CFO certificate is needed when you travel abroad..you show your certificate and the CFO personnel will put a sticker on your passport.

I attended the seminar last June 19, 2012 then renewed my passport on June 23 in Cebu because it is cheaper to process here than in Manila..they require a lot of information about the foreign husband, contact numbers, work, your residence, wedding photos aside from the other legal documents they require have it photocopied including her old passport (front and back copies)....I have my new passport on hand now (expedited)

Edited by gwendolyn40

Hi...you need the CFO certificate for the passport processing (compulsory) but if you don't have a visa yet they will not put a sticker on your passport. You need the CFO sticker for travelling ..without the sticker you are not allowed to leave the country...so to have a sticker, you need the CFO certificate ....to sum it up..1. CFO seminar is required for passport application for those who marry a foreign national who wish to change surname 2. CFO certificate is needed when you travel abroad..you show your certificate and the CFO personnel will put a sticker on your passport.

I attended the seminar last June 19, 2012 then renewed my passport on June 23 in Cebu because it is cheaper to process here than in Manila..they require a lot of information about the foreign husband, contact numbers, work, your residence, wedding photos aside from the other legal documents they require have it photocopied including her old passport (front and back copies)....I have my new passport on hand now (expedited)

By the way the affidavit to change name, just ask the guard where to get it he will tell you ..it cost 250 pesos..I don't know how it is done in DFA Manila but here in Cebu the DFA personnel is the one telling you to furnish an affidavit first.

Timeline

Ok thanks!

So she will just go the same location she got her CFO certificate in hand with passport and they will put a sticker in her passport before she travels, after she gets her visa. How long is the sticker and the certificate good for once issued? :)

The process is a little different if your married, and married to a foreigner. If NVA says you need a CFO certificate, then you will not change the passport name without this. Been there and done that!

Here is what other documents can be, they may ask for this, at Cebu they probably will ask for this: Yeah they are required, if you can't provide them when asked then no certificate until you do provide them.

1. Original and Photocopy of Birth Certificate (From NSO or CTC from Local Civil Registrar duly authenticated by NSO).

2. Photocopy of Birth Certificate of Husband/Fiancee.

3. Photocopy of Passport of Husband/Fiancee.

4. Photocopy of a Divorce Decree of husband, if he is divorced.

5. Photocopy of Proof of Singleness of Fiancee {CENOMAR).

6. Photocopy or copy of picture together (you and your husband/fiancee.

7. If under 23 years of age a notarized/certified letter from parents giving permission to leave the Philippines, even if married in the Philippines.

8. If a fiancee is 18 to 21 a parental consent affidavit and letter from parents giving permission to leave the Philippines.

9. If a fiancee is 22 to 25 a parental advise affidavit and if under 23 a letter from parents giving permission to leave the Philippines.

Also you need to know about your husband/fiancee complete name, birthday, address, mother's family name, how many times he/she got married/divorced (reason of divorced), how many children he had (if there is any), kind of work/job/salary, address of workplace, husband/fiance's educational attainment, course, when, where and how did you met, etc. Be sure to be able to text husband/fiancee for other information they may ask.

The NBI clearance that shows maiden and married name, may be needed to provide 2 forms of ID in married name. A postal ID in married name and the NBI will work.

Edited by Mimi and Gary

Timeline

We have an NSO copy of the marriage certificate from manila, but in San Fernando they said we would have to wait 6 months for additional NSO copies from their office. The one in Manila was like 500p express, regular copies are just 140p plus 20p service fee in the local office in 6 months.

Is there any other steps of reporting the marriage to the correct offices for changing her passport to her married name? In 2yrs I will be filing I-130's for her an my stepson and then she will file the IR-1 visas to match the married name that should be her new passport name.

Edited by Tourseasia

Timeline

Also Am i supposed to report the marriage to the US Embassy in Manila, they issued the "affidavit in lieu of certif of legal capacity to contract marriage in the first place and notorized it, one of the requirements prior to marriage in the Philippines.

Edited by Tourseasia

Timeline

Thanks for your reply Mimi and Gary

You just had to have regular photocopies, not certified true copies when you attended?

The NBI clearance that shows maiden and married name, may be needed to provide 2 forms of ID in married name. A postal ID in married name and the NBI will work.

You need an NBI clearance to attend the CFO seminar? How do you get that?

She can't change any ID's until she changes her passport first, correct?

Also she needs a guidance & counseling form duly completed?

Is that the CFO registration form that asks for visa number, she doesn't have one yet.

and I saw "Emigrant registration form". Shes doesn't have a visa or immigrating yet, just passport change.

Edited by Tourseasia

Thanks for your reply Mimi and Gary

You just had to have regular photocopies, not certified true copies when you attended?

You need an NBI clearance to attend the CFO seminar? How do you get that?

She can't change any ID's until she changes her passport first, correct?

Also she needs a guidance & counseling form duly completed?

Is that the CFO registration form that asks for visa number, she doesn't have one yet.

and I saw "Emigrant registration form". Shes doesn't have a visa or immigrating yet, just passport change.

She need the NBI clearance to provide 2 forms of ID in order to attend the CFO counseling session. A postal ID and the NBI in maiden and married name. Go the NBI center nearest you. If no hits on name only takes a couple of hours to get.

Requirements for Attendance to Guidance and Counseling Program

Two (2) valid identification cards (IDs) with photograph;

Duly completed guidance and counseling form;

If married, certified true copy and photocopy of marriage contract on security paper from the National Statistics Office, or Local Civil Registry Offices; or original and photocopy of marriage contract duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy/ Consulate (if married abroad)

Other documents as may be required by the counselors; and

Payment of P250.00 counseling fee.

And pay attention what "Other documents they may ask for above"...

Yeah copies will work on some documents, NBI and Marriage cert need to be certified true copy.

At this point she is going to CFO to get the guidance and counseling certificate, after she has her visa in hand she will go back to the CFO with the certificate to get the sticker added to her passport.

After she has the certificate from CFO she can then change her passport to married name.

Thanks Mimi & Gary;

She already has passport and drivers lic, she still need NBI clearance?

If she has 2 picture ID's in Married name then no she don't need NBI now. ID's must be in married name!

Timeline

If she has 2 picture ID's in Married name then no she don't need NBI now. ID's must be in married name!

Her Id's are all in Maiden name, can't change passport to married name w/o CFO guidance counseling seminar.

To change any ID's she needs her passport changed first which requires the CFO certificate.

So she needs NBI for passport change? Where is this done and how long does it take?

Thanks so much :)

Edited by Tourseasia

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.