chimanrao

Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) from Commissioners office and from PSK for Indian nationals

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Police Clearance Certificate for Indian Nationals

Depending upon what application you are filing, and to which country, you may need one or both types of PCCs.

1) Type 1: PSK PCC: This is a clearance that the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) gives you, and you need to apply through the PSK office. Whenever a new passport is issued for anyone, it's the responsibility of the police (Your local jurisdiction police station) to keep a record of this passport issued. Thus, the passport people have to notify your local police station, and in turn the police give a clean green for this passport. This is their clearance. This is issued as a stamp in your passport and an accompanying letter stating that there is no adverse information regarding you on their files.

a) Fill in form on the PSK web site.

b) Get an appointment at the website (This can be a tough task)

c) Appear at the PSK with your appointment print out, copy of your application (copy of application not mandatory, PSK already has this), address proof, photos & other documents.

d) PSK will process give you an acknowledgement & receipt, and forward your application to the Commissioner’s Office.

e) Commissioners office will process your application and forward it to your jurisdictions police station.

f) Your police station will call you when they see your application. Then you may need to either visit the police station, or the person may come to your home. If you dont hear from them for a long time, you should follow this up so you can be sure things are moving along.

g) The police station may contact you or the person specified in the application as contact, and the requested documents may need to be furnished (Similar to (2.g) below). We didn't have to do this, since we had applied for both PCCs, and the Commissioner’s Office PCC was already in process, so the local police station was already aware of this case which they had recently processed.

h) The police station sends the papers back to the Commissioner’s Office.

i) The Commissioner’s Office sends the information back (electronically) to the PSK office where you originally applied.

j) The PSK will SMS you when the information is ready at their office. You can then proceed to the PSK to collect it.

k) The final product is a stamp in your passport (stating the country for which the PCC is issued) and a PCC letter. They gave us 2 copies of the letter. It looks similar to the commissioners PCC, but differs slightly in its text.

l) If you need to apply for another country, you have to take another PSK appointment and go again. The second one will be processed really fast if applied in a short span of the first one. They already have the information on their systems, and they issue the second one right away. We got the second one done within 2 hours when we went for our appointment.

2) Type 2: Commissioner of Police PCC: This is a letter that the Commissioner’s Office issues you. This is to state that you don’t have/had any legal issues pending against you.

a) Obtain a form from the Commissioner’s Office and fill it.

b) Pay the fees, and obtain a challan. (At any one of the Bangalore One counters)

c) Submit the form, challan, address proof, 3 photos at the Commissioner’s Office.

d) The form will be processed at the Commissioner’s Office.

e) From there, it will get forwarded to your local police station.

f) Your police station will call you when they see your application. Then you may need to either visit the police station, or the person may come to your home. If you don’t hear from them for a long time, you should follow this up so you can be sure things are moving along.

g) You will need to keep the following ready when you see the police person: (i) Letters from 2 neighbors which state complete address, how long they've known you, how long they've lived at that address, that you have good moral character & conduct. Exact dates required. (ii) Copy of your passport (iii) Copy of driving license (iv) Copy of election card. (v) Copy of anything else that the police ask of.

h) Once this verification is completed, the police station will send the papers back to the Commissioner’s Office.

i) You can go back to the Commissioner’s Office a couple of days before the said date, and confirm that they have received all the papers.

j) They will give you the clearance at that point, or ask you to come back on the said date at which point you will be given the PCC.

k) If you need 2 copies (Sometimes you may need to file other immigration related papers for children/dependents, etc., or need PCCs for 2 separate countries), you can submit 2 forms, make payment for each of these forms, and usually the Commissioner’s Office will be OK to issue you 2 PCCs.

NOTE:

1) For address proof, if your passport has the correct address, this will save you a lot of trouble. Election card, driving license also may work. Otherwise, address proof seems to be very subjective matter. What the counters will accept varies vastly depending upon your case, the mood of the person at the front counter, if an agent is involved or not, etc. Address proof in your spouse’s name WILL NOT WORK! If it doesn't cover a 1 year period, it WILL NOT WORK! If it's telephone bills, bank statements, ENSURE THEY ARE BONA-FIDE (i.e. Stamped by the custodian/original issuer)

2) Make sure you know which your local police station is (jurisdiction) before initiating either of the above processes! We've been given a hard time because PSK made a mistake when they forwarded the request to the Commissioner’s Office, and WE GOT YELLED at for their confusion/mistake. It's their job to know all this, but they don’t, and they DONT CARE. Once you know your jurisdiction, Confirm at the PSK counter / Commissioner’s counter WHICH Police Station they will be forwarding the request to.

3) Make sure you keep copies of your receipts and acknowledgements for ALL Applications made to either PSK or to the Commissioner’s office FOREVER! These receipts will have reference numbers and 'Police check required' comments, which may help you later on. Keep these handy when you're at the airport too, to show you have tried your level best to procure all clearances. Keep any challans / slips as well.

4) In general, keep copies of ALL your papers. Challans, application forms, receipts, acknowledgements, any documents that you may need to submit and will not see again.

5) You will need multiple visits to these places, and you'll get turned down many times, so be prepared for this. START YOUR PROCESS AS EARLY AS YOU CAN. Dont wait till the last month to finish your work. Be prepared to be yelled at multiple times at multiple counters. If you get offended when someone yells/talks back at you, please hold off your aggravations, and stretch your patience as much as you can. The work will get done, but a little slower than you'd expect, that's all!

6) The Police people are very helpful with all the white paper work. It was overall a pleasure working with them. You may meet one or two unreasonable persons, but they will still keep your application moving. The PSK on the other hand was not a good experience at all for us. Maybe others have had better experience with them, but not so in our case. So Im guessing that you'll have to show a lot of patience with them.

7) Knowing the local language WILL HELP A LOT. If you don’t know the local language, just go with an agent. It will save you LOADS OF AGONY, even if you have to spend a little more. But, make sure the agent is reliable, and you can get good references for him, OR that he comes from a trusted source. Agents for the PSK PCC may be easy to find, but I haven't come across any for the Commissioner’s Office PCC.

8) The counters at the Police Commissioners office that handle the PCC versus the PSK PCC are different. PSK PCC is electronically transmitted from PSK to Commissioners office. After completing the processing, it's again electronically transmitted back to the PSK office.

9) I have tried to present our experience in detail above. Dealing with government counters is not an easy experience. You discover new rules every day, the list of documents they need changes every 2nd day you go back to the counter, timings are not clear at times (Commissioner office has lunch hours 1:00 to 2:00, during which time they don’t process anything). Some offices are open Saturday, some are not. Do ensure you know all these timings before you go: traffic is never on our side AND parking is not easy. It will save you a few trips at least.

10) Before applying, do ask how the papers will be processed, where they will be sent, etc. so you have a reasonable understanding of where your papers will be at any given point. They will not proactively tell you how the chain-of-events will be and that leaves us very much in the dark. Once you know, every couple of days/weeks, do go to the relevant department/station/office and check with them if they have received/sent the papers to keep things moving along. Don’t go too early, and make sure you’re nice to everyone (Use your intelligent discretion at level best). I may be repeating myself .. but START YOUR PROCESS EARLY, so you give enough room to all offices to move your papers.

More information:

i) In Bangalore, the Commissioner of Police office is on Infantry Road, toward one end. It does not have car parking.

ii) PSK office Sai Arcade is on Outer Ring Road opposite Intel. This PSK does have a car & motorcycle parking in the back, accessible through a little lane 2 buildings across.

iii) Payment for the commissioners PCC to obtain the challan can be made at any one of the numerous "Bangalore One" counters

iv) As of 17 July 2012, the rate for Commissioners PCC is Rs. 200 Non-employment based and Rs. 1000 employment based (These rates may change, or they may be different through other places in India. Or may depend on your particular case)

v) As of 17 July 2012, the rate for PSK PCC is Rs. 500. (These rates may change, or they may be different through other places in India. Or may depend on your particular case)

Timeline

Glad if it helps you out!

And of course, one last point I forgot to mention:

The process may turn out to be different in other peoples experience. I've read in other forums that some people have walked into the PSK and gotten their PCC done on the same day! I have no idea how that would be even possible, unless an exception is made. But what we had to go through does seem to be the logical progression/expectation of events to take place..

So if you see anything different, please do share... If you skip some steps, that'll be brilliant!

Best of luck for your applications!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

I live in Chennai..i'll be needing a PCC from the commissioner office to submit it to my employer, and another PCC from the passport office for my visa.i'll be submitting all the docs on Tuesday at the commissioner office, how long will they take to process my application and i can also apply at the PSK simultaneously because i'm in a hurry..please help me out as i need to leave by the end of this month.

Edited by rufros

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

Thank you for the awesome post. I am also in the process of getting my PCC from Bangalore and after numerous trips to the local police station, they have just sent the document to the Commissioner's office for uploading so that the PSK can then issue the PCC to me.

I have two questions -

1. Why are there two types of PCC. Will it suffice if I just get the PCC from the PSK?

2. In the G-325A form we mentioned that we also lived in another part of India for 6 months. Do we need to go to the Commsioner's office there also to get another PCC? The problem is that we do not have any proof of address from this other place...we were just staying with friends and do not have any official papers to show that we were residing there....what to do in this case?

Thank you for your opinion on this.

Timeline

Also, an update - There is no need to visit the Police Commissioner's office in Bangalore to get the form. They can be downloaded directly from the website link below -

http://ksp.gov.in/download/forms/Verification%20Applicationnew%20eng.pdf

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Thanks a lot for this write-up and for the link for the form. It really helped me plan my visit better.

I woke up this morning and decided I would follow approach one to get my PCC. The reason I used this approach was because I would not be able track the application status if I went through the police commissioner's office.

Here are the steps I followed

1) Filled the form online and took a print of the ARN generated receipt

2) Went to the Lalbagh PSK at around 9.40 (There is a very neat parking area next to the office for both cars and motorcycles)

3) Got the Walk-in token number and went in.

4) I was out at 11.30 with 2 letters of PCC signed and stamped by the APO( Assistant Passport officer - Nice lady)

I am shocked(rather pleasantly surprised) at the efficiency with which the whole thing was done, no over crowding, no need to know somebody, nothing.All they asked me was for my old passport to verify if the details were correct.

I read somewhere that if your address is the same as on the passport and that the passport was issued in Bangalore, you will get the letter then and there. This is now confirmed true :)

I would highly recommend going through the PSK rather than the police commissioner's office as the cops I have dealt with , in my locality, are a***s !

Hope everyone experiences the same efficiency I did.

All the best !

• 1 month later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

This question is for applicants at Bangalore Police Commissioner Office.

In the form at

http__ksp.gov.in/download/forms/Verification%20Applicationnew%20eng.pdf

out of the options from 1 to 16, which one did you select for PCC to be shown at Mumbai US Consulate (if asked) ?

Is it

16. Police Clearance Certificate for Indian Citizens ?

Please reply.

Thanks..

• 5 months later...
Timeline

you are a LIFE SAVER yaar. kasam se! thanks for all the info. This country doesnt have a bloody straight forward process. Thank you SO much for detailing the steps out!

4/1/2013 Mailed I-129F to Dallas
4/3/2013 Application received in Dallas
4/8/2013 NOA1 approved/mailed back to fiancee in US
4/13/2013 NOA1 in hand

9/04/2013 Case transferred to TSC

9/18/2013 NOA2 Approvedkicking.gif

9/23/2013 Case transferred to NVCdancin5hr.gif

10/01/2013 Case sent to Mumbai Consulate

10/04/2013 Case arrived at Mumbai Consulatestar_smile.gif

Almost there!heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Thanks a lot for this write-up and for the link for the form. It really helped me plan my visit better.

I woke up this morning and decided I would follow approach one to get my PCC. The reason I used this approach was because I would not be able track the application status if I went through the police commissioner's office.

Here are the steps I followed

1) Filled the form online and took a print of the ARN generated receipt

2) Went to the Lalbagh PSK at around 9.40 (There is a very neat parking area next to the office for both cars and motorcycles)

3) Got the Walk-in token number and went in.

4) I was out at 11.30 with 2 letters of PCC signed and stamped by the APO( Assistant Passport officer - Nice lady)

I am shocked(rather pleasantly surprised) at the efficiency with which the whole thing was done, no over crowding, no need to know somebody, nothing.All they asked me was for my old passport to verify if the details were correct.

I read somewhere that if your address is the same as on the passport and that the passport was issued in Bangalore, you will get the letter then and there. This is now confirmed true smile.gif

I would highly recommend going through the PSK rather than the police commissioner's office as the cops I have dealt with , in my locality, are a***s !

Hope everyone experiences the same efficiency I did.

All the best !

Does your PCC letter mentions your spouse name or marital status anywhere? I haven't added spouse's name on my passport & was told at Bangalore PSK that PCC application needs to mention marital status as Single or else to get spouse's name added on passport? just wondering what is a better approach now?

Dipikant, I was asked the same question. The PCC doesnt contain the marital status. I am married but don't have my spouse's name in the passport. I changed it to single at the PSK centre.

But then again this was almost 10 months ago , I dont know if things have changed since then.

Hope it helps.

Timeline

Thanks Sush. Did they go through the police verification for getting PCC, same as they do when issuing a new passport? I was scared that PCC letters will have my marital status, & I asked this to the officer. He said that your PCC will be issued as Single status, I didn't really understand what he was saying.

Dipikant, I was asked the same question. The PCC doesnt contain the marital status. I am married but don't have my spouse's name in the passport. I changed it to single at the PSK centre.

But then again this was almost 10 months ago , I dont know if things have changed since then.

Hope it helps.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.