envy_me

tax and n400 interview question..

11 posts in this topic

i will have my n400 interview on the 26th of july..

last week we received a letter from the IRS informing us that we owe them $800+ from the tax refund we received in 2009.. <_<

they said they overpaid us.. :huh:

they're giving us 90 days to pay or dispute it..

we can pay it right now but we might dispute it instead.. we haven't decided if we want to deal with that process or not.. :unsure:

so my question to you guys is, do you think it will be a problem if we don't pay it before my interview date?

thanks for your replies! :)

"i don't know much about love but i know that i love him.."

Doubt it's going to give you any problems.

However bring the letter and any documentations of activities (i.e. check written/received to them from the past or now) related to this, but don't show it unless, UNLESS they ask about it.

Filed: Timeline

Taxes don't have anything to do with the immigration process --- they can't do that. It is a right of ours that we are granted to be able to marry a citizen of another country and allow them residence here. There are no financial restrictions placed on the petitioner other than they can provide for the alien.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

It's N-400. It will negatively affect you if you owe big brother. My IO asked me during my interview " Do you owe any money to any government ? "

I think you bring what you have, and tell the truth. Do open your mouth if they don't ask. It all depends on the IO too. Good luck.

Taxes don't have anything to do with the immigration process --- they can't do that. It is a right of ours that we are granted to be able to marry a citizen of another country and allow them residence here. There are no financial restrictions placed on the petitioner other than they can provide for the alien.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

i will have my n400 interview on the 26th of july..

last week we received a letter from the IRS informing us that we owe them $800+ from the tax refund we received in 2009.. <_<

they said they overpaid us.. :huh:

they're giving us 90 days to pay or dispute it..

we can pay it right now but we might dispute it instead.. we haven't decided if we want to deal with that process or not.. :unsure:

so my question to you guys is, do you think it will be a problem if we don't pay it before my interview date?

thanks for your replies! :)

You will decide something the next few weeks. If you'll decide to pay, bring the letter and copy of check to the interview, or do not mention it at all because if you don't owe you don't have to show anything. If you decide to dispute, bring copy of all letters you received and send. Good luck!

Doubt it's going to give you any problems.

However bring the letter and any documentations of activities (i.e. check written/received to them from the past or now) related to this, but don't show it unless, UNLESS they ask about it.

thanks for your reply!

my hubby is thinking the same thing.. :)

thanks for the reply! but this is n400, i am the (resident) alien and the petitioner! :)

It's N-400. It will negatively affect you if you owe big brother. My IO asked me during my interview " Do you owe any money to any government ? "

I think you bring what you have, and tell the truth. Do open your mouth if they don't ask. It all depends on the IO too. Good luck.

thanks for the reply!

very true! it depends on the IO that's why i'm being paranoid! :wacko:

Edited by envy_me

You will decide something the next few weeks. If you'll decide to pay, bring the letter and copy of check to the interview, or do not mention it at all because if you don't owe you don't have to show anything. If you decide to dispute, bring copy of all letters you received and send. Good luck!

thanks for your reply!

i sure hope so! it's driving me nuts thinking abt it everyday while i'm trying to study for the civics test.. :wacko:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Oh, but they do. When you fill out the I-864 after you are married and your new wife is filing for AOS, there is a check box to tick that states you have filed taxes for the last 3 years and you list the income amounts from your last 3 years filings. If you have not filed, you need to file your back taxes or provide an explanation as to why you were not legally required to file.

For naturalization, you need to have filed all your taxes while living in the US as a permanent resident and you cannot have unpaid or overdo taxes. They care about you following all the laws and not owing Mr. Uncle Sam anything.

Also, immigration is not a right. As a USC, you have the right to file a petition for them and if approved they have the right to apply for the visa to come here as your fiance(e) or spouse. There is no right you are granted that says they have to be approved and offered permanent residence here.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Will you let us know how it goes, EnvyMe?

Us, too, we received a similar form in May for a mistake we made in 2009, and all we have is the paperwork showing we agree to their assessment. Now, we are waiting for them to send us a bill, but the IRS representative told us it could take months. I'm tempted to start paying before we even receive a bill to show USCIS we've made some payments by the time interview rolls around??? Just don't know.

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yes! Im curious to know about this too bcz in 2009, 2010 & 2011 we owed a little in taxes which got paid each time with a check but I didnt know to bring a copy of each check for hubby naturalization interview so we didnt and he was asked about it.... now we have a RFE after he was approved... I think maybe its from having receipts to show we paid at the time of interview. We shall see when we get the letter in the mail.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The above statement is 100% incorrect.

I made about 19k USD in 2007. I owed the IRS 11k from previous years. Somehow the Embassy was sent this info from NVC. The embassy said that since I owed the IRS 11k from previous years, they only considered that I made 8k and my wife was given 221g. I gave them a new I-864 showing I made 50k+ in 2008, and she was approved.

Taxes do matter.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.