daresie

IMBRA Article in NY Times

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

While the article in the Times wasn't very positive, it could have been worse. They could have quoted some of the more extreme posts I've seen on VJ.

I remember one in particular wherre an older guy was trying to get ideas about out how to get around the laws in the Philippines so he could bring a 16 year old Filipina to the US to marry her.

Another post I saw involved a guy who's wife left him after a month and his primary concern was not whether they could reconcile, but whether it would affect his ability to get another K1 once he found a replacement, as if he was just planning to go out and buy a new one...

Imagine if stories like that had made it into the Times article...

My Filipina wife and I are only six months apart in age. We were introduced by people that know us and we got to know each other on the internet before meeting in person. I'm certainly not an opponent of international marriages. Unfortunately the behavior of some make the rest of us look bad and reinforce the stereotypes that our out there.

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

One of the things I have noticed about the media is when they do a story they don't care about presenting something honestly. They start of to do a story with a certain bent and then look for things that give credence to the story they want to write. They don't want to hear the other side. They want to sell papers or attract viewers.

Someone said something upthread about IMBRA possibly spreading to other areas of life in America. It is the best thing that could happen. Right now there are too few of us to raise a fuss that anyone will listen too and once you get through the K-1 hurdle you have a lot less interest in how unfair IMBRA is.

JS, you are right, it could have been worse. Search hard enough and you can find extreame examples anywhere. Still a lot of cases that some might consider extreame may have good intentions and be quite legit.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

This law wasnt necessary and is an invasion of privacy visited on men by an over zealous politician who made outlandish promises she had to keep. It was passed into law with the trickery of smoke & mirrors and we as a group are all now Indle King, guilty until proven innocent. I understand your willingness to accept whatever it takes to bring your loved ones home and I would comply and do the same in your situation. But when you have your wives and husbands all comfy and at home you will revisit the law, how it was passed and the sweeping generalizations it makes about us as a group and you will resent the twisted spirit of this unconstitutional kick in the gut. It was propped up with bad statistics, will be easily circumvented and provides a launching point for future legislation based on the legal precedent set as judges make rulings based on IMBRA.

Slippery slope

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
But when you have your wives and husbands all comfy and at home you will revisit the law, how it was passed and the sweeping generalizations it makes about us as a group and you will resent the twisted spirit of this unconstitutional kick in the gut.

Those of us who waited 5+ months for petition approval rather than the "normal" 90 days and are still stuck in this process due to IMBRA already know all of that. . .

Timeline

I feel for ya. Its hard to care about the big picture when other pressing needs are at the forefront. There are other forums to rant about the law so I wont do that here. I just think our compliance should be taken under protest. Its a bad law

• 4 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

It's been years since I've logged in but I was up, bored on line and googled myself and Yesenia to see what is still out there and came back across this thread.

Well, I'm happy to report that my Lovely Wife and I have been married going on 5 years now and she is also a proud U.S. Citizen! We are each other's best friend. In fact, she tells me I'm the best part of her life every single day and I still an in disbelief at my good fortune to have ever found her in the first place.

All the best to everyone. Hope you are all well.

Adam :D

Adam & Yesenia

I-129 submitted on 5/26/06 (on OLD forms because the new ones weren't out!!)

NOA #1 with receipt number dated 6/12/2006

Nothing else has happened after that as far as I know... No RFE's, Nothing?

touched on 9/7/2006

Email notice on 9/11/2006 that my question would be answered.

Email notice on 9/12/2006 that the RFE is in the mail 3 months after my WAC number

Next trip to see her for a week on 9/23/06...

Went to Colombia on 9/23 returned on 10/1

I never received my RFE but my attorney sent me his copy which I filled out and overnighted on 10/3 RFE delivery confirmation on 10/4 but nothing from CSC yet...

CSC Email saying they have my RFE on 10/11/06, a full week after they got it.

Note that to this day, I've still NEVER received my copy of the RFE they said they mailed to me! I've seen lots of posts about lost RFE's and other documents from the CSC! This concerns me greatly!

NOA 2 on 10/18/2006 Woo Hoo! 129 days from NOA 1.

Yesenia arrived in the US on January 18th, 2007

We were married on 3/17/07

Filed for Green Card and Employment Authorization right away.

Green Card was issued (with EAD card) on 6/15/07

We'll be filing for AOS pretty soon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.