bleau

Marrying In Ukraine

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and would like some info on a US Citizen marrying a Ukraine lady in Ukraine. I've done some research but would rather hear from someone that has been through the process.

I have no clue as to where to actually get started on the process.

Yes, I've been to Ukraine several times over the past 12 months and all is well between us. We've discussed this several times and would like to get married in Ukraine.

Thanks in advance,

Bleau

Edited by bleau

Timeline

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and would like some info on a US Citizen marrying a Ukraine lady in Ukraine. I've done some research but would rather hear from someone that has been through the process.

Yes, I've been to Ukraine several times over the past 12 months and all is well between us. We've discussed this several times and would like to get married in Ukraine.

Thanks in advance,

Bleau

In Ukraine, the first thing you need to do is have your marriage legally registered. Head to the Central Civilian Registry Office, otherwise known as the Tsentralny RAGS (11 Peremohy Pros., 236-7981/0071) with your passport. Tsentralny RAGS is the Kyiv authority that deals with marriage registration issues for foreign citizens. You need to indicate, among other things, that you are single.

"It is strongly recommended that you seek advice on your particular situation," says Natalya Naberezhnaya, head of RAGS.

The personal information from your passport or other ID must be translated into Ukrainian and then notarized. Translations should be provided for all documentation you submit, especially if your ID doesn't state your marital status. In such cases, submit a document confirming your marital status issued by a competent authority in the country where you hold citizenship. If you've been divorced, you must also submit a document to confirm that your previous marriage is over. Depending on the bilateral agreements that exist between Ukraine and your home country, these documents will either be accepted straight away or will need additional validation.

In many cases, an apostille may be required to legalize marriage registration documents. This special seal is applied by a legal authority to certify that a document is a true copy of an original. It's a much simpler procedure than legalization (as per above), requiring fewer signatures. It can be completed in either Ukraine or your own country.

"By law you will get a stamp in your passport once you marry a citizen of Ukraine," Naberezhnaya says.

Normally you must register your marriage no later than a month after you apply for a marriage certificate. There are several things that will allow you to speed up the registration procedure. One is if the bride is pregnant; another is if the couple already has common children. In other cases, the head of the civilian registry office can decide whether your reasons are important enough to expedite your registration. For example, if you have to leave Ukraine immediately because your visa is going to expire, you might be granted priority. Or not. To be on the safe side, consult RAGS in advance.

Here is a start.

USCIS:

03/29/2012 - I-130 Sent

04/1/2012 - NOA1 Received

06/25/2012 - NOA2 Received (88 Days)

NVC:

07/31/2012 - Case arrived at NVC (36 Days from USCIS to NVC)

08/16/2012 - Received case #, IIN, gave e-mail addresses

08/18/2012 - E-mailed DS-3032

08/23/2012 - AOS bill invoiced & PAID

08/27/2012 - AOS bill appears as PAID

08/24/2012 - AOS Package sent

08/XX/2012 - AOS/I-864 accepted

08/23/2012 - DS-3032 accepted

08/28/2012 - IV bill invoiced & PAID

08/30/2012 - IV bill appears as PAID

08/28/2012 - IV Package sent

09/07/2012 - REF Forgot bar code cover sheet in AOS packet

09/08/2012 - Mailed REF will be there Monday Sept.10th

09/25/2012 - Case Complete

10/30/2012 - Medical in Kyiv....All good

11/27/2012 - Interview date

In AP.

01/15/2013- Call from Emb####

02/20/2013 -Denied

04/18/2013- Application sent to State Department.

08/23/2013- Talked to USCIS the application is back at USCIS and "might" review it by December.....

08/23/2013- Pissed off.

03/14/2014- Recivied notice from USCIS. Reply due 04/16/14

04/12/2014- Reply mailed 300+ pages.

04/23/2014- Reply from USCIS they received the packet.

07/07/2014- Called my Congressman to check on progress.

07/08/2014- Got a call back from Congressman aid "USCIS is working on it".

07/09/2014- Got email from USCIS that my address change had gone through. I never requested an address change. Call Congressman and USCIS. Was an error an no address change...

07/10/2014- Received email from USCIS. We are approved again. I think the call to my Congressman helped.

08/04/2014- Application received from USCIS and forwarded to Kyiv.

08/19/2014- Interview Sept.19,2014

09/19/2014- Interview Approved.

Timeline

In Ukraine, the first thing you need to do is have your marriage legally registered. Head to the Central Civilian Registry Office, otherwise known as the Tsentralny RAGS (11 Peremohy Pros., 236-7981/0071) with your passport. Tsentralny RAGS is the Kyiv authority that deals with marriage registration issues for foreign citizens. You need to indicate, among other things, that you are single.

"It is strongly recommended that you seek advice on your particular situation," says Natalya Naberezhnaya, head of RAGS.

The personal information from your passport or other ID must be translated into Ukrainian and then notarized. Translations should be provided for all documentation you submit, especially if your ID doesn't state your marital status. In such cases, submit a document confirming your marital status issued by a competent authority in the country where you hold citizenship. If you've been divorced, you must also submit a document to confirm that your previous marriage is over. Depending on the bilateral agreements that exist between Ukraine and your home country, these documents will either be accepted straight away or will need additional validation.

In many cases, an apostille may be required to legalize marriage registration documents. This special seal is applied by a legal authority to certify that a document is a true copy of an original. It's a much simpler procedure than legalization (as per above), requiring fewer signatures. It can be completed in either Ukraine or your own country.

"By law you will get a stamp in your passport once you marry a citizen of Ukraine," Naberezhnaya says.

Normally you must register your marriage no later than a month after you apply for a marriage certificate. There are several things that will allow you to speed up the registration procedure. One is if the bride is pregnant; another is if the couple already has common children. In other cases, the head of the civilian registry office can decide whether your reasons are important enough to expedite your registration. For example, if you have to leave Ukraine immediately because your visa is going to expire, you might be granted priority. Or not. To be on the safe side, consult RAGS in advance.

Here is a start.

Try this link..http://www.foreigndocuments.com/marriage_ukraine.html

USCIS:

03/29/2012 - I-130 Sent

04/1/2012 - NOA1 Received

06/25/2012 - NOA2 Received (88 Days)

NVC:

07/31/2012 - Case arrived at NVC (36 Days from USCIS to NVC)

08/16/2012 - Received case #, IIN, gave e-mail addresses

08/18/2012 - E-mailed DS-3032

08/23/2012 - AOS bill invoiced & PAID

08/27/2012 - AOS bill appears as PAID

08/24/2012 - AOS Package sent

08/XX/2012 - AOS/I-864 accepted

08/23/2012 - DS-3032 accepted

08/28/2012 - IV bill invoiced & PAID

08/30/2012 - IV bill appears as PAID

08/28/2012 - IV Package sent

09/07/2012 - REF Forgot bar code cover sheet in AOS packet

09/08/2012 - Mailed REF will be there Monday Sept.10th

09/25/2012 - Case Complete

10/30/2012 - Medical in Kyiv....All good

11/27/2012 - Interview date

In AP.

01/15/2013- Call from Emb####

02/20/2013 -Denied

04/18/2013- Application sent to State Department.

08/23/2013- Talked to USCIS the application is back at USCIS and "might" review it by December.....

08/23/2013- Pissed off.

03/14/2014- Recivied notice from USCIS. Reply due 04/16/14

04/12/2014- Reply mailed 300+ pages.

04/23/2014- Reply from USCIS they received the packet.

07/07/2014- Called my Congressman to check on progress.

07/08/2014- Got a call back from Congressman aid "USCIS is working on it".

07/09/2014- Got email from USCIS that my address change had gone through. I never requested an address change. Call Congressman and USCIS. Was an error an no address change...

07/10/2014- Received email from USCIS. We are approved again. I think the call to my Congressman helped.

08/04/2014- Application received from USCIS and forwarded to Kyiv.

08/19/2014- Interview Sept.19,2014

09/19/2014- Interview Approved.

Timeline

Are you planning to bring your lady to the US after marrying her? If so, plan on a more complex and time consuming process than if you got married in the US on a K1 visa.

I have discussed similar thoughts with my special sweet heart. She very much prefers to have her wedding in Ukraine to share with her family and close friends. We decided that we will have a wedding ceremony in Ukraine, but save the legal part to do in the US.

Thanks in advance,

Bleau

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Been through it and it was fantastic! Most important: where does SHE want to get married? The Ukrainian marriage ceremony AND celebrations are quite worth the experience. Yes, K1 is faster for a Visa, but CR1/IR1 is faster on getting a green card, and maybe less hassle in the long run. Either way, it's not a quick process, nor an inexpensive one. What other particulars in your case? Divorced? If you are, you'll need a notarized copy of your divorce decree(s), then an Apostille from your State's Secretary of State. Usually about $10. You'll need a notarized Letter of Non Impediment to Marriage from the US Embassy in Kyiv. The form is free, but the notary fee is $50. Then you have to go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to get that stamped. While you're in Kyiv, that's a good time to get your divorce decree(s) and passport translated, with notary stamps, as well. Once all that's done, take everything to RAGS and apply for marriage. Usually there's a 30 day wait. It's up to the registration official to determine if they want to deviate from it. Usually they keep to that rather strictly. The 'leaving in 2 weeks airline ticket' ploy isn't much of an excuse these days. Of course, conce$$ions may be possible, but be careful. It is acceptable to get married past the 30 day window. In fact, since it's summer now, getting the paperwork done and planning a September wedding is a really good way to go. I've been told September is an optimum time for marriage. At least that's what my wife told me, and who's going to argue with that? But, of course, anytime is a good time for a wedding. Does she have a child? That's more paperwork. It's not insurmountable, just takes patience, time and money. PM me if you've got specific questions. Good Luck!

Check out the US Embassy info on getting married there:

http://ukraine.usembassy.gov/ukrainian-issues.html

Edited by mobob

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We also did the marriage in Ukraine and it was absolutely the best decision. I posted a pretty detailed write up (complete with photos of some of the buildings to make locating them easier) here a few years back...not sure if it's still hanging around or not. But if you're sure you have the right woman you're definitely on the right track getting married there...so many wonderful traditions!

Found part of it...

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/49639-the-kyiv-beat/page__st__210

Scroll down about 70% for my post with some pictures.

Edited by LvivLovers

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.