rlogan

When your biometrics fingerprints fail

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We've been through a nightmare with biometrics. So far we have waited ten months, done numerous service requests, and opened a congressional case and FINALLY got an appointment for biometrics... and it failed. Meaning that the Support Center took her fingerprints but the FBI rejected them as unreadable so we drove the 900 mile trip again, 2,700 miles total now including adjustment of status just to have fingerprints done, and don't know if the FBI will accept them yet.

The support center said that it was common for fisherman, doctors, nurses, mechanics, people with bush lifestyles like us - anyone who works with their hands a lot or gets them wet a lot to have them fail for being unreadable. They can make you do them twice, and if they fail again what you have to do is obtain police reports from everywhere you have lived the last five years.

They advised us not to get her hands wet for two days before the biometrics and not to do any heavy work with her hands. From my musician background I can see how playing stringed instruments would cause a problem too.

She had a different technician this time and he tried a lot harder to make them good prints. The machine will actually tell you if they are completely unreadable or poor. Don't let them get away with poor prints.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Good grief, good advice, and good luck, si man!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

We had to fly over to Oahu for my wife’s biometrics lucky it’s not 2,700 miles, but the guy taking the fingerprints did both electronic and manual ink print. just in case the reader failed we had a back-up (Was told it’s some what common) "anyone who works with their hands a lot" and hopefully would not have to come back. No problem.

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Timeline

We had to fly over to Oahu for my wife’s biometrics lucky it’s not 2,700 miles, but the guy taking the fingerprints did both electronic and manual ink print. just in case the reader failed we had a back-up (Was told it’s some what common) "anyone who works with their hands a lot" and hopefully would not have to come back. No problem.

Thanks for the information on the manual back-up - for the sake of anyone else going through this kind of nightmare in the future. We're pretty confident these last ones we did will fail too and that we will have to produce the records.

This is the kind of dysfunctional disgrace in immigration we have become accustomed to the last four years. After your fingerprints fail, it's "Oh yea, happens all the time..." with USCIS producing ZERO information to help applicants avoid this nightmare.

The USCIS lists a non-existent office at the Fairbanks Airport for their support center. The office has been closed for TEN YEARS. But people just like us go there, and are directed by the airport manager to a customs office. The customs office told us they are tired of people like us coming in desperate to get information or fingerprints done for the last ten years. The information site was dutifully updated every single year, with the wrong information, ten years running now.

Edited by rlogan

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

How soon after you completed your biometrics did you find out that they were bad? And through what communication channel? Did USCIS or the FBI call you?

We've been through a nightmare with biometrics. So far we have waited ten months, done numerous service requests, and opened a congressional case and FINALLY got an appointment for biometrics... and it failed. Meaning that the Support Center took her fingerprints but the FBI rejected them as unreadable so we drove the 900 mile trip again, 2,700 miles total now including adjustment of status just to have fingerprints done, and don't know if the FBI will accept them yet.

The support center said that it was common for fisherman, doctors, nurses, mechanics, people with bush lifestyles like us - anyone who works with their hands a lot or gets them wet a lot to have them fail for being unreadable. They can make you do them twice, and if they fail again what you have to do is obtain police reports from everywhere you have lived the last five years.

They advised us not to get her hands wet for two days before the biometrics and not to do any heavy work with her hands. From my musician background I can see how playing stringed instruments would cause a problem too.

She had a different technician this time and he tried a lot harder to make them good prints. The machine will actually tell you if they are completely unreadable or poor. Don't let them get away with poor prints.

Timeline

How soon after you completed your biometrics did you find out that they were bad? And through what communication channel? Did USCIS or the FBI call you?

Three business days later I got a call from the manager of the Service Center. I can't say that would have happened (the call) for anyone else.

Prior to that my congressman's office had contacted him to ask why I had not received a biometrics appointment after so many requests for service. The manager called us at home and we drove straight down the next day, meeting him personally. But he did not do the fingerprints. A technician did. Since our Congressman's office had gotten involved, I am sure that motivated him to call right away when they were rejected.

They do not have much business at that office. They are not open every day and it is closed by like 3 pm.

Edited by rlogan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.