X Factor

Best Way to Ship Magic Jacks to Philippines

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

OBI using google voice is free also, just no video...

Nice that the person in the Phils can call anyone, anywhere in the states and its free.

Its has been great since getting home, my fiancee calls from the cell phone while out to talk to family or just picks up the house phone and calls. (I use an OBI here also)

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Anything deemed "electronics" is subject to a 100% duty, value as determined by Customs. Against advice, a friend sent a $350 "on sale" laptop from Best Buy via FedEx to Cebu. Customs opened it and a notice was sent to his fiancee's home requiring her to come to the local office (4 hours away) and to pay the Piso equlivent of $900 duty to release it.

For sending, best bet is tucked away inside of something inside a balikbayan box, or better yet. Make a friend here on VJ who can mule pack it and ship upon arrival via LBC.

I've seen Magic Jacks in every cell phone shop in the malls here for P2500 and less, already activated with a USA phone number. They give you the login info of the party who activated it, usually done with a disposable, stored value debit card, and you just sign in and take over the account, change the number too. Same thing flies with retail Vonage boxes.

There are over 8,000 Magic Jacks registered to Mr. San Miguel in thir directory. But only 4 under the name of Beer N. Beer, and one as Red Horse.

Edited by Piso Envy

What is the best way to ship 3 Magic Jacks to the Philippines? Is Balikbayan Boxes safe? Will it be opened and make it there intact. My fiancee lives in Cavite. Or can I use FedEx or UPS. I have heard of stories of boxes being opened and Magic Jacks being stolen...

She could just sign up for a free google voice usa account, get a local usa number, then you can call her from the computer (google voice) to her local number which will work in the philippines. No real need for the magic jack

But otherwise just mail it regular postal , doubt it will be stolen

Tips, on the custom form write gift, and then write " NO VALUE" , and write 'used usb stick" or something generic like that. Dont include anything inside with a price. Also ship it the cheapest way, if they see high shipping they might think its expensive. Works every time for me no problem

Edited by Adam and Thet

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

She could just sign up for a free google voice usa account, get a local usa number, then you can call her from the computer (google voice) to her local number which will work in the philippines. No real need for the magic jack

But otherwise just mail it regular postal , doubt it will be stolen

Tips, on the custom form write gift, and then write " NO VALUE" , and write 'used usb stick" or something generic like that. Dont include anything inside with a price. Also ship it the cheapest way, if they see high shipping they might think its expensive. Works every time for me no problem

Tie that google voice account to the OBI and you can use your phone to make calls without a computer. The google voice over the computer works pretty good, also there are apps for the smart phone so you can use google voice on them if you have WI-FI.

Personally I think the OBIs are great for FREE phone calls without need of a computer.

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.