X Factor

Best Way to Ship Magic Jacks to Philippines

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

What is the best way to ship 3 Magic Jacks to the Philippines? Is Balikbayan Boxes safe? Will it be opened and make it there intact. My fiancee lives in Cavite. Or can I use FedEx or UPS. I have heard of stories of boxes being opened and Magic Jacks being stolen...

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well, as you know, a balikbayan box will take a couple of months to arrive. If shipping cost is not a concern, then Johnny Air, FedEx or DHL would work.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

You can buy them in the PI

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

I am thinking also that you should be able to get on there. When it comes to electronic gadgets, PI has everything we can get. They just lack infrastructure when it comes to phone and internet. Goodluck. :yes: Also this thread may be of interest. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/319342-globe-super-us-direct-has-anyone-tried-this/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can buy them in the PI

Buying there defeats the purpose he is using it for. If you buy them there you cannot configure them with a U.S. number, so the calls won't be free U.S. number to U.S. number.

Timeline

This website link in Dasm, Cavite sells Magic Jack and says it is assigned a free US number. The price is double the US price of about $45. Then you renew every year for $29.95.

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/2129978/MAGIC+JACK+SALE+AT+DASMARINAS+CAVITE-+FREE+DELIVERY%21%21%21?referralKeywords=magic+jack+for+sale

This looks like the best option for me until I visit and then I can bring my own Magic Jacks. Thanks everyone for your input.

NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

Use at your own risk. It says it is new, which means it is not activated. It doesn't have a U.S. number assigned to it. You pick a U.S. number when you plug it in and register it, providing your U.S. credit card also. I am pretty sure it will pick up the IP for Cavite area and show you what phone numbers are available. Google how to activate Magic Jack to find out more information. I activated my Magic Jack Plus here in the U.S. anf took with me on my last visit. Why do you need a Magic Jack to talk to your fiancee, you are still in your initial K1 phase and only have an NOA1. Programs like oovoo will help you have a call history. Magic Jack won't provided a detailed call history with your names in it. It is free and you can even capture screenshots of you and yur fiancee talking on the webcam. It is also free. Whatever decision you make, Good Luck.

Timeline

The reason I am try to get information on Magic Jack is for when my fiancee moves to the US hopefully in a few months. I am looking for a cost effective way for her to communicate with her parents.

For now we are communicating on Skype, FB, YM and emailing each other to have evidence of our on going relationship.

NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012

AOS approved 8/24/13

To address the shipping question. If time is not critical use the box. It's cheaper in the long run, and if you sue Fedex etc, there is a good chance you are going to have to pay huge customs fee for electronic goods.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I had the 1st Magic Jack for years, then when this new one came out I bought two with the intent of taking one over to PI but they were a total PITA and I could never get them working right so I returned them. Now I have the OBI that hookups with google voice and those are AMAZING (and the service is still totally FREE)!!! http://www.obihai.com/ I left one there and I have been using one here for months now, feature and clarity of the call is light years better than MJ+. The OBI works with a variety of services not just google voice, or they work as stand alone if the other person has an OBI also. You couldn't give me an MJ now.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

I had the 1st Magic Jack for years, then when this new one came out I bought two with the intent of taking one over to PI but they were a total PITA and I could never get them working right so I returned them. Now I have the OBI that hookups with google voice and those are AMAZING (and the service is still totally FREE)!!! http://www.obihai.com/ I left one there and I have been using one here for months now, feature and clarity of the call is light years better than MJ+. The OBI works with a variety of services not just google voice, or they work as stand alone if the other person has an OBI also. You couldn't give me an MJ now.

So the Quality and sound pretty Good Hank?

Edited by southcalhog

Sent NOA1 April 30th 2011

received May 2nd 2011

NOA1 Notice Date:May 4th 2011

NOA 2 txt/ email on july 18th 2011

NOA 2 received in Mail July 20th dated July 18th 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Personal issue in the Philippines

Medical Exam: March 22nd 2012

Medical Cleared on March 23rd 2012

Interview Date:April 16th, 2012......PASSED

Arrival Los Angeles California: July 7th 2012.

Marriage September 7th 2012 at San Bernardino County Hall of Records

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

Timeline

So the Quality and sound pretty Good Hank?

The sound quality is very noticeable. I had been using the MJ at home for a few years now, after my adventures with the MJ+ and tripping over the OBI I was extremely impressed with the sound quality. I would call my neighbor here from the Phils and he told me the sound was clearly with my call then when his sister calls him from Colorado, and that was using DSL in the Phils not cable internet. The other big plus is how easy it is to use and access the OBI, even to do firmware updates.

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

The sound quality is very noticeable. I had been using the MJ at home for a few years now, after my adventures with the MJ+ and tripping over the OBI I was extremely impressed with the sound quality. I would call my neighbor here from the Phils and he told me the sound was clearly with my call then when his sister calls him from Colorado, and that was using DSL in the Phils not cable internet. The other big plus is how easy it is to use and access the OBI, even to do firmware updates.

Hank did you use it in the Manila area? How about South Philippines such as Kidapawan where my fiancee's parents live? Will it work there as well with good voice quality?

NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

Hank did you use it in the Manila area? How about South Philippines such as Kidapawan where my fiancee's parents live? Will it work there as well with good voice quality?

Yup, daily, called stateside all the time using the OBI the two months I was there. Now my Fiancee uses it daily (actually using two as there is one here and one in PI) as she calls home a couple times a day just to chat, works flawlessly, clarity is great, and its a free call!

My fiancee's cousin who lives in Canada would call from time to time to chat even.

Works with any internet setup that has a CAT 5 plug available. It doesn't need a computer at all.

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.