Keith&Helen

bring cell phone to the interview

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I understand that any electronic devices are not allowed at the Consulate. In Toronto, they would actually let you check in small items at the security desk and give you a number/tag to pick it up on your way out, do they do the same thing in Montreal? We'd like to bring one cell phone with us if possible.

Thanks,

Helen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I understand that any electronic devices are not allowed at the Consulate. In Toronto, they would actually let you check in small items at the security desk and give you a number/tag to pick it up on your way out, do they do the same thing in Montreal? We'd like to bring one cell phone with us if possible.

Thanks,

Helen

You might want to check the MTL consulate's website to be sure... but unless something has changes since last year..... no... you can't bring in a cellphone... you can't even have the little electronic key for your car.... no electronic devices..... and there was no provision to check items in.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They do not have an item/coat check area. They tell you to use one down the street or go back to your hotel room.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nope. The most people have gotten away with is sometimes a security guard will hold on to electronic car keys for you but you can't even count on that. A cell phone will get you turned away.

Here is a link from the official montreal consulate website about what you can't bring inside: http://tinyurl.com/7oxaf22

Prohibited Items (Items Not to Bring to the Embassy/Consulate)

The following items are prohibited inside the U.S. Embassy/Consulate and we have no storage facilities for them, so please leave them at your home, your hotel, or in your vehicle:

Backpacks, bags, luggage, or large purses (purses 12 x 10 x 6 in. and smaller will be permitted)

Food and beverages

Weapons, including mace or pepper spray

Tools, including any sharp or bladed objects

Any oils, aerosols or pump sprays, liquids, lotions and powders

Any type of fire starter

Electronic or recording equipment of any kind, including, but not limited to:

Cameras

Laptop computers

Mobile phones

MP3, CD, or cassette players

Pagers

Keyless remotes

Helmets of any type

Strollers will be determined on a case by case basis

This list is not all-inclusive. The U.S. Embassy/Consulate reserves the right to deny entry of any items deemed suspicious.

Edited by pocheros

Vancouver consulate was similar in no electronics/etc, but they also made me throw out my cosmetics and liquids in my purse - which was not listed on their website.

I would just bring yourself and your paperwork (and a simple wallet with your ID/money/etc). The more ####### you bring, the longer you are there stuck with security searching and taking apart all your things.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.