How long does permanent residency take in Brazil after marriage?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

If I got married in Brazil, how long would it take if I immediately started the permanent residency process? Just wondering because I'm trying to figure out the quickest way to get to the US after marriage. I know that if I have permanent residency, then DCF is possible with the consulate and can be done in under 90 days and also provides the best AOS options.

Also does anybody know if it would be quicker if I did the $50,000 investment route for permament residency as opposed to the marriage route?

I already have a tourist Visa, bank account, proof of residency (brazilian address), and a CPF in brazil.

Thanks in advanced!

-jon

AOS, AP:

02-09-07 - Legally Married

02-20-07 - AOS and AP mailed to Chicago

02-27-07 - NOA1

03-15-07 - Biometrics done

03-19-07 - AP Approved (AP was expedited. Emergency Advance Parole done at the immigration office)

03-26-07 - AOS Interview on 5/17

Advance Parole Approved in under 30 days.

Just under 90 days from AOS filing to AOS interview. Not bad! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
If I got married in Brazil, how long would it take if I immediately started the permanent residency process? Just wondering because I'm trying to figure out the quickest way to get to the US after marriage. I know that if I have permanent residency, then DCF is possible with the consulate and can be done in under 90 days and also provides the best AOS options.

Also does anybody know if it would be quicker if I did the $50,000 investment route for permament residency as opposed to the marriage route?

I already have a tourist Visa, bank account, proof of residency (brazilian address), and a CPF in brazil.

Thanks in advanced!

-jon

How did you get a bank account on a tourist visa??

It took my friend 9 months to receive her permanent residency here in São Paulo. Another friend it took a year. They both applied from within Brazil. It doesn't take long if you marry, go to the US, apply for permanent residency through the consulate (abotu 8 week wait for the visa), return to Brazil, and THEN apply for DCF. I don't have enough money fo that, but it sounds like you do.

They say DCF through Rio consulate takes actually four months.

Thanks in advanced!

-jon

How did you get a bank account on a tourist visa??

It took my friend 9 months to receive her permanent residency here in São Paulo. Another friend it took a year. They both applied from within Brazil. It doesn't take long if you marry, go to the US, apply for permanent residency through the consulate (abotu 8 week wait for the visa), return to Brazil, and THEN apply for DCF. I don't have enough money fo that, but it sounds like you do.

They say DCF through Rio consulate takes actually four months.

Yea it was the biggest PITA ever to get a bank account with my status. Basically a combination of things allowed me to get my bank account opened. I guess I'll list them for anyone interested:

I have a brazilian address for over a year. Proved it with bills.

Presented many original documents including original birth certificate, 2 years of federal tax records, 1 year of bank statements from two US banks sealed by the bank. Copies of my passport, visa, second photograph, CPF, bills, brazilian credit card statements for 6 months. I'm sure there was more I just don't remember it all right now. Needless to say that trip to brazil with all those documents - I basically never let go of my briefcase for the 23 hour trip here.

Have a CPF

Had a lawyer and notary

My financial advisor is friends with a manager at the bank.

It also took two trips down here to finalize everything.

Anyways I'm thinking of doing the $50k deal. That way I have permanent residency prior to marriage. Schedule the appointment, get married in the mean time, and try and time everything so our DCF is completely not long after we get married.

It may be possible this can actually be painless considering the circumstances. That's hard to believe, but it just might be possible hehe.

Edited by 195

AOS, AP:

02-27-07 - NOA1

03-19-07 - AP Approved (AP was expedited. Emergency Advance Parole done at the immigration office)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks in advanced!

-jon

Have you contacted the Consulate's IV unit yet to see if you qualify now?

DCF offers no AOS options, btw.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thanks in advanced!

-jon

Did you pop the question?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36416

Until 4 p.m. (Brazilian time) she didn't know of your intentions...

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

How did you get a CPF?

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

How did you get a CPF?

Walk in to Receita Federal with some documents. Process is done on the spot but you don't get the card for a couple of weeks.

AOS, AP:

02-27-07 - NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.