cardilene

Travel Tax, Terminal Fee, PDOS

16 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

After so many years of waiting, our petition has been approved, and we already got our visas,

and had our flight book already. Sadly, and I know many will agree on how much our government

is taking advantage of every traveling Filipino, every traveling filipino is required to pay

the TRAVEL TAX, a TERMINAL FEE and have to attend a PDOS (Pre-departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS) or the Peer Counseling Seminar)...

I can accept that I have to pay the terminal fee (PhP550-750), for I know it is used for the maintenance of the airport

and its facilities. However, I am not sure where the TRAVEL TAX is going, which is around PhP1620 :blink: ...

While the PDOS is only PhP400, it left me wondering that the government can simply impose any kind of HASSLE

just to milk a few bucks out of its own citizen, it is quite sad to see that in this day and age,

traveling Filipinos are helpless in such system. It sucks,..! :angry:

PD ~ June 18, 2009

IMMIGRANT VISA APPROVED ~ March 15, 2012

VISA ON HAND ~ March 21, 2012

TOUCHDOWN California ~ April 8, 2012

GREEN CARD ON HAND ~ April 27, 2012

DMV Written ~ May 1, 2012 (passed TAKE 1)

DMV Actual ~ May 21, 2012 (passed TAKE 1)

California Driver's License ON HAND - June 11, 2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

After so many years of waiting, our petition has been approved, and we already got our visas,

and had our flight book already. Sadly, and I know many will agree on how much our government

is taking advantage of every traveling Filipino, every traveling filipino is required to pay

the TRAVEL TAX, a TERMINAL FEE and have to attend a PDOS (Pre-departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS) or the Peer Counseling Seminar)...

I can accept that I have to pay the terminal fee (PhP550-750), for I know it is used for the maintenance of the airport

and its facilities. However, I am not sure where the TRAVEL TAX is going, which is around PhP1620 :blink: ...

While the PDOS is only PhP400, it left me wondering that the government can simply impose any kind of HASSLE

just to milk a few bucks out of its own citizen, it is quite sad to see that in this day and age,

:thumbs:

It's a normal Filipino trait. That's why no matter what, PHilippines is hopeless. Many people want to leave the country. I've work abroad in 3 diff countries but everytime I go back to Manila, I dont feel secure..I feel much secure when I'm overseas. So many sick heads in Manila...I dont even recommend to my office colleagues not to go to Philippines for vacation. I tell straight to their faces, that even myself I dont find Philippines being so secure..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Check to see if all airport taxes and fees are included in the ticket price. My wife flew Delta and all airport taxes were included. They tried to say she need to pay the departure fee but when she show the detailed itinerary I emailed to her. It show the breakdown of airport taxes and fees. Although each tax item was abbreviated. The Philippines travel tax was included in the ticket price. She only need to pay the Departure Fee P750 at that time (2011). Now the Departure tax is P550 as of February 1, 2012.

God Does for those who do for themselves..!!

Timeline

For tickets purchased online, normally it doesn't include the travel tax,

unlike if you get it directly from a booking or airline office. Wally

Greene is right, the current terminal fee is P550 but it has been announced

that it will go back to P750 :angry:

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent: 2011-11-23

I-129F NOA1: 2011-11-28

I-129F NOA2: 2012-05-02

NVC Rec: 2012-05-16

Consulate Rec: 2012-05-25

Interview Date: 2012-07-18

US Entry: 2012-08-25

Marriage: 2012-10-14

AOS Journey

AOS/AP/EAD Sent: 2012-11-20

Rec Date: 2012-11-21

NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3: 2012-11-28

Biometrics Appointment : 2012-12-27

EAD/AP Approved : 2013-01-23

Timeline

On the itinerary for Delta taxes and fees:

Total Tax: 240.90 USD

PH: 37.10

OI?: 6.60

SW: 13.40

XA: 5.00

XY: 7.00

YC: 5.50

YQ: 150.00

US: 16.30

The PH tax is the travel tax included in the ticket price. I was the same way. What, why and how come. Then I checked with Delta. The agent stated all Taxes and Airport fees are include. Excluding the departure fee.

After lowering it, government set to hike airport fee

After lowering it to P550 on February 1, the government is considering bringing the airport terminal fee paid by outbound passengers at the country’s main gateway back up to P750 to finance badly needed improvements in airport facilities. Transport Secretary Manuel “Mar” Roxas II said a P200 hike in terminal fees for international passengers was necessary to improve the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia) terminals, which have been repeatedly cited in international polls as among the worst in the world.

“Terminal fees will have to go back up to P750 per passenger. That’s being processed right now,” Roxas told a press conference on Monday, but declined to give a specific schedule for the increase. The terminal fee per passenger at Naia was reduced to P550 on February 1 this year from P750. The fee was raised to P750 in 2007 to fund the acquisition of state-of-the-art security equipment at the airport terminals. “That was a temporary increase and the Miaa (Manila International Airport Authority) only had the authority for that until last February,” Roxas said. Roxas said the higher fee would help fund the rehabilitation of the three-decade-old Naia Terminal 1, as well as the additional work needed to Terminal 3 fully operational.

Misconception

Roxas explained that other airports around the world also charged terminal fees contrary to the misconception that only the Philippines was one of the few places in the world where this was the practice. “The difference is that with other countries, terminal fees are included in their ticket prices… that’s why it’s seamless,” he said. “The reason plane ticket prices are exclusive of terminal fees here in the Philippines is because our airlines don’t want it,” Roxas said.

Refusal

He said airlines that operate in the Philippines had refused to collect terminal fees on the government’s behalf due to the country’s complicated system of exemptions covering senior citizens and overseas Filipino workers, among other reasons. He said the Miaa was currently studying a system that would force airlines to collect fees and remit these to the government. Under the system being studied, exempted passengers would get a refund by mail. Roxas said projects that would be funded by the hike in fees are the ongoing rehabilitation of Terminal 1 and the work to fully operationalize Terminal 3, which is running at half capacity. Roxas said he was scheduled to fly to Japan later this week to complete negotiations with Takenaka Corp., Terminal 3’s original contractor, for the delivery of unfinished work to the facility.

These deliverables include the facility’s master clock, escalators, fire alarms and flight information systems. Terminal 3 was expropriated by the government after its original concessionaire Philippine International Air Terminals Co. (Piatco) was declared a mere “dummy” company for its German partner Fraport AG by the Supreme Court, before Takenaka could finish its work. Roxas said the government was close to agreeing on a price for the unfinished work with Takenaka.

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/26361/after-lowering-it-government-set-to-hike-airport-fee

Timeline

Its just absurd to know that we are being charged because we can TRAVEL,..??? :blink:

That we have to pay a TRAVEL TAX just to fly out of the Philippines..?

What's it for, I told you I have no qualms in paying any sort of taxes,

been a businessman all my life, but somehow, what is the purpose of this one,..?

Terminal fees are ok, it will be used to maintain the airport and its facilities

(though it remains to be seen,... :whistle: )

PD ~ June 18, 2009

I booked online at Delta website and it included the travel tax.

Timeline

Its just absurd to know that we are being charged because we can TRAVEL,..??? :blink:

That we have to pay a TRAVEL TAX just to fly out of the Philippines..?

What's it for, I told you I have no qualms in paying any sort of taxes,

been a businessman all my life, but somehow, what is the purpose of this one,..?

The travel tax is imposed by the Philippine government on individuals who are leaving the country irrespective of the destination.

The taxes paid will be divided among the Philippine Tourism Authority (PTA), the National Parks Development Committee (NPDC), the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA), Commission for Higher Education (CHED), and the General Fund of the National Government for government programs.

Terminal fees are ok, it will be used to maintain the airport and its facilities

(though it remains to be seen,... :whistle: )

Total agree but most of the terminal fee was used for upgrades for security, surveillance, scanning equipment etc.. :whistle:

I understand your frustration. Believe me, I do.

Philippines has a tax for everything under the sun...including travel. I've been to other countries in Asia...and only the Philippines has this tax. And you know? I wouldn't mind it so much, if I see where this tax is going. If it does actually improve the various sectors of the government...I'm all for it. The only people benefiting from this tax are the politicians.

Having said that, it is one of those things that are easier to accept than to change. Corruption is part of Filipino culture. The sooner you realize it, the better.

BTW, congratulations on your approved petition! Best wishes! :thumbs:

NATURALIZATION
02/15/13 - Mailed N-400
02/19/13 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox (day 01)
02/21/13 - NOA1 issued (day 03)

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS (WIFE)
02/18/12 - Eligible for Removal of Conditions on Residence
03/23/12 - Mailed I-751 to CSC
03/26/12 - Received by CSC (day 01)
03/31/12 - Received NOA1 (day 06)
05/02/12 - Biometrics done (day 38)
10/23/12 - Received approval email (day 212)
11/01/12 - Received green card (day 221)

IR-2 (STEPDAUGHTER)
06/01/10 - Mailed I-130 petition
06/03/10 - Package delivered to USCIS (day 01)
06/08/10 - NOA1 issued (day 06)
11/03/10 - Received approval email (day 154)
11/08/10 - Received approval notice in mail (day 159)

NATIONAL VISA CENTER (STEPDAUGHTER)
11/08/10 - NVC received case from USCIS
11/09/10 - NVC case # & IIN generated, email addresses given, DS-3032 sent via email & USPS (day 01)
11/16/10 - Received and paid AOS bill (day 08)
11/17/10 - AOS bill marked as PAID; AOS packet express mailed (day 09)
11/19/10 - Received and paid IV bill; DS-3032 accepted (day 11)
11/22/10 - IV bill marked as PAID; IV packet express mailed (day 14)
12/03/10 - Sign-in failed (day 25)
12/09/10 - INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR JANUARY 10, 2011 @ 6:45AM
12/28/10 - Medical exam done at SLEC Manila - PASSED! (day 40)
01/10/11 - Interview at USEM Manila - APPROVED! (day 53)
01/21/11 - Stepdaughter received passport with IR-2 visa! (day 64)

Timeline

Everyone wants a piece of the pie is the reasons. All of that money made on departure fee's and where has it gone? Surely not into the airport where it was originally suppose to go. How about that nice International Airport(Terminal 3) that pretty much sits stangnant because the Phils government doesn't want to pay the bill to the foreign companies that built it..

A little story... My friend and I were traveling back to work and leaving terminal 1. We had just gone thru security and had our shoes in hand and were looking for a place to sit and put our shoes on. There was a security guy who was taking up 3 seats, very large and spread out like on his couch. My friend(hothead at sometimes) told him to move so he could put his shoes on. The security guy said no and my friend started screaming so loud the custom agents were looking back. Telling him and everyone who was listening, "for all the airport fee's we pay coming thru this airport there isnt a flippin seat for us to put our shoes on because lazy asses like you won't get up and give your tourists a place to sit". A few more comments were made and that person didn't get up. We had to stand and put our shoes on. I thought he was going to be missing his flight!!!! Hard to argue with someone who is right.

27 January 2012: Mailed I-129F

03 February 2012: NOA1( e-mail & Text)

03 February 2012: Check Cashed

NO RFE'S

22 June 2012 : NOA2 (e-mail & Text)

16 July 2012: Manila Case Number(by phone)

17 July 2012: Interview paid at BPI

19 July 2012: Set interview for Mid-Aug

23-24 July 2012: Medical St. Lukes(passed)

24 July 2012: CFO Seminar(had to go next morning for landline #)- PASSED

02 Aug 2012: Received e-mail from USEM our case is there.

15 Aug 2012: Interview at USEM - APPROVED

13 SEP 2012: POE Minneapolis, MN

27 OCT 2012: Married

19 NOV 2012: AOS package sent

05 DEC 2012: NOA's I-765, I-131, I-485

14 DEC 2012: Biometrics appointment finished(Walk-in..Was scheduled Jan 04 2013)

02 FEB 2013: I-131 and I-765 Approved

07 FEB 2013: USPS Picked up the combo-card

11 FEB 2013: Received Combo-card

21 FEB 2013: Transit Visa picked up in Chicago for Japan

Timeline

Everyone wants a piece of the pie is the reasons. All of that money made on departure fee's and where has it gone? Surely not into the airport where it was originally suppose to go. How about that nice International Airport(Terminal 3) that pretty much sits stangnant because the Phils government doesn't want to pay the bill to the foreign companies that built it..

A little story... My friend and I were traveling back to work and leaving terminal 1. We had just gone thru security and had our shoes in hand and were looking for a place to sit and put our shoes on. There was a security guy who was taking up 3 seats, very large and spread out like on his couch. My friend(hothead at sometimes) told him to move so he could put his shoes on. The security guy said no and my friend started screaming so loud the custom agents were looking back. Telling him and everyone who was listening, "for all the airport fee's we pay coming thru this airport there isnt a flippin seat for us to put our shoes on because lazy asses like you won't get up and give your tourists a place to sit". A few more comments were made and that person didn't get up. We had to stand and put our shoes on. I thought he was going to be missing his flight!!!! Hard to argue with someone who is right.

Only in the Philippines,..

I lost hope already to our country's development,

corruption is EVERYWHERE, sadly everyone is affected.

PD ~ June 18, 2009

Just about ALL airport in the world have some form of travel tax & Terminal fee - it is not just the Philippines. The difference is the taxes are already incorporated into the price of the ticket while in the Philippines it isn't.

For the USA we have the following:

Transportation Tax (International Arrival/Departure) = $16.30

Federal Flight Segment Tax (ZP) = $3.70

Passenger Facility Charges (PCF) = up to $4.50

Federal ticket excise tax (7.5%) - charged on all domestic tickets.

Alaska/Hawaii Ticket Tax - for travel to these two states.

Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee (September 11th Security Fee).

There is a separate/additional fee that some airports charge a passenger like the Alaska/Hawaii International Travel Facilities Tax ($8.20) or the Rural Airport Tax (charged if the segment tax isn't).

We may not see those charges but they are there and are included in the price of the ticket.

Even some airports in the world charges passengers for stopovers - leaving the airport & coming back later to continue their journey.

USCIS

07-20-2010: I-130 package mailed.

07-22-2010: I-130 Package Received - Priority Date.

07-29-2010: Received text & email from USCIS - Notice Date.

07-30-2010: Check Cashed by USCIS.

08-02-2010: Received NOA1 hard copy.

08-02,04,05: Touched.

09-28-2010: Received text & email - petition approved.

10-04-2010: Received NOA2 hard copy.

NVC

10-13-2010: NVC Case# Received (after calling).

10-15-2010: Emailed DS-3032 to NVC.

10-16-2020: Received the DS-3032 package, IIN number & AOS bill via email.

10-22-2010: Paid AOS bill ($88) - showing IN PROCESS

10-25-2010: AOS fee PAID.

10-27-2010: Express Mail AOS Package.

10-27-2010: Paid IV bill - showing IN PROCESS.

10-28-2010: AOS package delivered.

10-28-2010: IV fee PAID.

10-29-2010: Express Mail IV package.

11-01-2010: IV package delivered.

11-08-2010: AOS packages entered into NVC system.

11-15-2010: IV package entered into NVC system.

11-23-2010: SIF.

11-24-2010: Case Complete.

CONSULATE

12-21-2010: Medical at SLMC - Passed

12-22-2010: Immunization at SLMC

01-04-2011: Interview @USEM ~ Approval

OTHER

02-05-2011: POE at JFK

N-400

05-01-2017: N-400 Sent

05-09-2017: Case accepted

05-15-2017: Biometric appointment scheduled

05-30-2017: Biometric

06-05-2017: Inline for interview

08-15-2017: Interview scheduled

09-19-2017: Interview (approved).

01-19-2018: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.