tatelee

Is it easier to Immigrate to Canada or the US?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there,

I just have a quick question. Me and my fiancee (who is American, I am Canadian) are trying to decide whether or not to live in Canada or the States once we marry and apply for a green card. I was just wondering if the process is easier for him to come to Canada or for me to get an American green card? Obviously we want to be apart for the least amount of time possible after our wedding.

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd weigh it on more factors than just "how long it takes". I believe going to Canada takes longer, however, most people here went to the US so I'm not sure we will have an answer for you.

I will tell you that if I were to do it over again I would have had my fiance come to Canada for the following reasons:

- I had a better paying job

- Cheap healthcare

- More jobs

Of course this depends on where your USC lives and their job, etc. There's a lot more to think about than just how long it takes. You also have to meet all of the requirements to sponsor them and so on.

I've been looking into moving to Canada with my husband in the future, and the time difference seems negligible. Outland applications take about 2 months in the first stage and then the processing time listed here says a US application will take up to another 11 months, but some people have said that it takes much less time than that (here and on Canadian visa forums). We just received our CR-1 visa this past week, so that whole process took 8 months (+ one more for my husband to get rid of his apartment and furniture), but others who applied when we did in July are still waiting.

But I think dukeandduchess is right that the length of time shouldn't really be your primary concern...it should probably be more a question employment prospects and quality of life.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

"Easier" is relative. Think this through, it's one of the most important decision you will make in your life. Not to put any pressure :whistle: It all depends on your situation. Can he support you (financially, emotionally, etc) should you choose to move yo the U.S? Can you support him should he choose to move to Canada? I agree with Dukeandduchess and Alizon. It is a life changing decision and there is more to weigh in than your time apart. Plus, if it's being apart after being married that concerns you, you can go with a K1 instead of a CR1.

I moved to the U.S. because my husband earns well over double the salary I used to make back in Canada. His expertise is very specific and the market for it is greater in the U.S.; he would have a hard time finding a satisfying job in Canada. On my end, my professional experience allows me to work for a variety of industries, so it doesn't matter where I am. Also, I love where we live in the U.S. I miss my hometown but the weather here is just incredible.

It needs to be both a rational and heartfelt decision, because you need to have a quality of life and whoever will be in foreign land pays the price of being away from family and friends.

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Timeline

Thank you for all your replies. I was looking at the process of sponsoring him to come to Canada and it says I have to be able to support him for 3 years after he immigrates...what does that mean exactly? Can he not help with our marriage financially at all or..? I would not be able to support us both if I am the only one financially contributing to the marriage. I haven't come across anything that seems to say he has to show that he can support me for 3 years should I go to the states (although he can.) Is that only applicable to Canadian immigration?

Timeline

Sponsoring means you will not allow the person you helped immigrate to get government means tested benefits. Such as food stamps or a welfare check. After they get a permanent resident card, they can legally work. But you are still financially responsible for them. The same applies to the US but you have to sponsor them for 5 years, they become a US citizen, you or they die, they leave the country, or they accumulate 40 quarters of work.

you have to weigh the pros and the cons. Both take a long time, both are expensive.

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

The same applies to the US but you have to sponsor them for 5 years, they become a US citizen, you or they die, they leave the country, or they accumulate 40 quarters of work.

It's not quite clear to me what you mean by 5 years, so just to clarify for the OP:

Forty quarters means 10 years of uninterrupted work by the immigrant in the US before the spouse is no longer liable for government benefits the immigrant receives, unless the US spouse is also working during all those quarters, then you could combine the period of work while they are married and in the US and get it down to 5 years minimum. If you're married to an American, you can get citizenship in 3 years, so 3 years would be the bare minimum of sponsorship unless the immigrant dies or leaves the country. Getting a divorce does not negate sponsorship.

This explains it: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=720b0a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=720b0a5659083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Edited by alizon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

correct, it isn't 5 years of sponsorship in the US. It is until they receive 40 quarters of employment that contributes to Social Security, however if both couples are working, the spouse can be credited with the other spouse's contributions as well so it can work out to 5 years rather than10 years that way. Becoming a US citizen is probably the shortest pathway to voiding the Affidavit of Support contract put in place between the US government and the sponsor.

In Canada, there is a similar contract that is signed, however, there are no dollar signs attached for a spouse as there is in the US.

Overall, having worked with both processes, I would say that the actual immigration to Canada - paperwork, fees, attitude, timing, etc. - is easier going to Canada than to the US. The process is shorter in the long run (no 2 year conditional green card, etc,), no minimum income requirement, all of the paperwork is submitted at once and the couple is allowed to live together while it is being processed - the US citizen just needs to have a temporary resident visa that can be renewed every 6 weeks which allows him/her to cross the border without fear of being denied re-entry.

So, your decisions should be made with the mind as well as with the heart.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline

Definitely look at the quality of life vs the length of time when making the decision. Imagine your friends and family have moved to another planet and you cannot see them anymore. I mean, really, seriously, think about that and try to imagine it. Now multiply that feeling by 100,000 and you'll have some idea of how you're going to feel when you're no longer near them. Now also imagine that you, yourself, have moved to another planet where everything looks and feels the same, but is just "off" by about 10 degrees.... and you can't quite put your finger on it. Because you're going to spend a few years being frustrated by how things "should" be done.... but aren't. You're also going to be frustrated by having to reestablish your identity. When you move to the US, you don't exist. Literally. The US is so focused on trying to prevent illegals that you are going to be treated like one... and they're not going to make it easy to prove you're not.

Now imagine that you need to see the doctor. Who are you going to go to? Is that doctor in network? Or do you not have health insurance? Want a baby? See previous questions.

Want to cash a Canadian cheque? Don't do it. Know how hard it is to find a good job in Canada? Try applying for one here. Remember.... you have no history. That door closed at the border.

As you know, the US is a wonderful country, and so are its people. We are lucky to have the opportunity of choice, and I am not knocking living here. I am just trying to give you an awareness of the challenges you'll face during the first two years. And I even hope that it won't be such a challenge to you. Good luck.

iagree.gif

Timeline

Definitely look at the quality of life vs the length of time when making the decision. Imagine your friends and family have moved to another planet and you cannot see them anymore. I mean, really, seriously, think about that and try to imagine it. Now multiply that feeling by 100,000 and you'll have some idea of how you're going to feel when you're no longer near them. Now also imagine that you, yourself, have moved to another planet where everything looks and feels the same, but is just "off" by about 10 degrees.... and you can't quite put your finger on it. Because you're going to spend a few years being frustrated by how things "should" be done.... but aren't. You're also going to be frustrated by having to reestablish your identity. When you move to the US, you don't exist. Literally. The US is so focused on trying to prevent illegals that you are going to be treated like one... and they're not going to make it easy to prove you're not.

Now imagine that you need to see the doctor. Who are you going to go to? Is that doctor in network? Or do you not have health insurance? Want a baby? See previous questions.

Want to cash a Canadian cheque? Don't do it. Know how hard it is to find a good job in Canada? Try applying for one here. Remember.... you have no history. That door closed at the border.

As you know, the US is a wonderful country, and so are its people. We are lucky to have the opportunity of choice, and I am not knocking living here. I am just trying to give you an awareness of the challenges you'll face during the first two years. And I even hope that it won't be such a challenge to you. Good luck.

And most of that applies the other way around; solution move to a 3rd country where you're both foreigners.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.