NancyNguyen

Stokes Interview - Approved at the spot

20 posts in this topic

Our appointment was 7.20AM, we got called around 7.45AM. The IO is an old Caucasian gentleman. He took us to the small room and told us to take the oath. He explained we would be recorded for legal causes, and he might separate us during the interview to have better decision. And we said no problems at all. He started asking basic questions like names, DOB, current address, current marriage place and time and asked us to provide original IDs, passports, I-94, old work permit, original lease, bank statements. He took my I-94 and OPT work permit and said I wouldn't need them anymore. We were like "oh it is so easy, we are so blessed..." He asked who the co-sponsor was (my father in laws.) Suddenly, he said you two would be separated for the interview, and asked who would be first. I volunteer to be first, and he walked my wife (USC) to the employee waiting room.

*** My interview questions:

1. How did you meet her?

2. How many siblings does she has? What are their names? How to spell the names?

3. How does your mom think about your marriage? I said she was so happy. He said no, in Vietnamese culture, moms are usually unhappy if the wife is older then her spouse :blink: I was like from the moon aka amazed, and said my wife was 21 and I was 26 when we got married (I assume he misread my wife birth year so he thought she was older, and it resulted the separated interview) and he said his bad, he read the year wrongly. It could also be a trick question to try me, who knows. Still, he decided to go more intense questions.

4. Is your rent apartment or house? How many bedrooms and bathroom? What is the floor material? How much is the rent? Is there any pool on the complex?

5. Why don't you go the school right now? Because of out of state tuition fee.

6. Does your mom in VN live with your father? Explain why they are separated.

7. Describe your wife house, where you first met her. Rooms, anything special.

Then he said he had enough info he needed to know. He told me that I could either wait in the room when he asked my wife (But told me to be silent, even if she didn't know the answer or answer it wrong.) or wait in the employee room. I said I'd prefer to stay in the room, and be quiet. He then walked my wife back to the room.

*** My wife questions were the same as mine, but he skipped number 3. At number 4, he tricked her by asking how my wife loved the carpet in the living room (our floor is all tiled.)

Then he said that he made his decision of approving our case today, the card would be dated March 6 2012. And we were real nice couple. The whole from beginning to the end of mini Stokes was like 45 mins.

Then he started asking me about the YES/NO questions on I-485. And after that, he printed out the "Interview Result" and marked the box "Congratulations!...." and explained we had to file I-751 90 days before the conditional GC is expired. And if we have anything in order like this, we wouldn't have another interview.

He got the big "APPROVED" stamp and stamped on my I-485, I-130 and wrote the date down. I asked him to stamp my passport but he said he would recommend to wait until I receive the card within a month; and because I might not be updated until the card is produced so I could have hassle at the border. He said I could hold the current EAD for now but I had to cut it up as soon as I receive the GC. He then said if he could see any pictures, and we gave him our albums. He said you guys don't need any lawyer at all, just check everything in order. He said he won't approve easily with lawyer presence.

He then realized they put "NORTH VIETNAM" as place of birth on my file, he said this was wrong because I was born in Ho Chi Minh city and it was "South Vietnam." I told him there was no more South/North in Vietnam nowadays but he said USCIS still needs to distinguish that matter, and the one was born in Hanoi (north) would be questioned more about communism. And he said he would correct with on the computer as well as put a note on my file that I am "South vietnam" :blush: Then he said his wife is a "boat people" Vietnamese, and he doesn't want to travel over there because of the communism... The conversation kept going and whoop, another 45 mins :ot: He returned all the documents and didn't keep anything extra.

Then we shook hand and he walked us out to the door, then he told us to put lastname on the mailbox to make sure we receive the card. He said within 30 days, we don't receive it, make an InfoPass and they will track it down. I can't believe our section was 1 hr and a half (7.45AM - 9.15AM)

Our online status hasn't been updated yet but we believe they will update it soon. Good luck to everyone still on the journey, and you need anything just send me a message. (L)

Edited by NancyNguyen

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Our appointment was 7.20AM, we got called around 7.45AM. The IO is an old Caucasian gentleman. He took us to the small room and told us to take the oath. He explained we would be recorded for legal causes, and he might separate us during the interview to have better decision. And we said no problems at all. He started asking basic questions like names, DOB, current address, current marriage place and time and asked us to provide original IDs, passports, I-94, old work permit, original lease, bank statements. He took my I-94 and OPT work permit and said I wouldn't need them anymore. We were like "oh it is so easy, we are so blessed..." He asked who the co-sponsor was (my father in laws.) Suddenly, he said you two would be separated for the interview, and asked who would be first. I volunteer to be first, and he walked my wife (USC) to the employee waiting room.

1. How did you meet her?

2. How many siblings does she has? What are their names? How to spell the names?

3. How does your mom think about your marriage? I said she was so happy. He said no, in Vietnamese culture, moms are usually unhappy if the wife is older then her spouse :blink: I was like from the moon aka amazed, and said my wife was 21 and I was 26 when we got married (I assume he misread my wife birth year so he thought she was older, and it resulted the separated interview) and he said his bad, he read the year wrongly. It could also be a trick question to try me, who knows. Still, he decided to go more intense questions.

4. Is your rent apartment or house? How many bedrooms and bathroom? What is the floor material? How much is the rent? Is there any pool on the complex?

Then he said he had enough info he needed to know. He told me that I could either wait in the room when he asked my wife (But told me to be silent, even if she didn't know the answer or answer it wrong.) or wait in the employee room. I said I'd prefer to stay in the room, and be quiet. He then walked my wife back to the room.

*** My wife questions were the same as mine, but he skipped number 3. At number 4, he tricked her by asking how my wife loved the carpet in the living room (our floor is all tiled.)

Then he said that he made his decision of approving our case today, the card would be dated March 6 2012. And we were real nice couple. The whole from beginning to the end of mini Stokes was like 45 mins.

Then he started asking me about the YES/NO questions on I-485. And after that, he printed out the "Interview Result" and marked the box "Congratulations!...." and explained we had to file I-751 90 days before the conditional GC is expired. And if we have anything in order like this, we wouldn't have another interview.

He got the big "APPROVED" stamp and stamped on my I-485, I-130 and wrote the date down. I asked him to stamp my passport but he said he would recommend to wait until I receive the card within a month; and because I might not be updated until the card is produced so I could have hassle at the border. He said I could hold the current EAD for now but I had to cut it up as soon as I receive the GC. He then said if he could see any pictures, and we gave him our albums. He said you guys don't need any lawyer at all, just check everything in order. He said he won't approve easily with lawyer presence.

He then realized they put "NORTH VIETNAM" as place of birth on my file, he said this was wrong because I was born in Ho Chi Minh city and it was "South Vietnam." I told him there was no more South/North in Vietnam nowadays but he said USCIS still needs to distinguish that matter, and the one was born in Hanoi (north) would be questioned more about communism. And he said he would correct with on the computer as well as put a note on my file that I am "South vietnam" :blush: Then he said his wife is a "boat people" Vietnamese, and he doesn't want to travel over there because of the communism... The conversation kept going and whoop, another 45 mins :ot: He returned all the documents and didn't keep anything extra.

Then we shook hand and he walked us out to the door, then he told us to put lastname on the mailbox to make sure we receive the card. He said within 30 days, we don't receive it, make an InfoPass and they will track it down. I can't believe our section was 1 hr and a half (7.45AM - 9.15AM)

Our online status hasn't been updated yet but we believe they will update it soon. Good luck to everyone still on the journey, and you need anything just send me a message. (L)

Nice write-up. Congratulations

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I don't know why you're calling it a "mini-stokes". A stokes is a stokes. You had a stokes interview. Congratulations on passing.

I don't know why you're calling it a "mini-stokes". A stokes is a stokes. You had a stokes interview. Congratulations on passing.

Thank you guys, I just think because there were like 7 questions so it is kind of mini, comparing to other Stokes :devil:

N400

Update: I just receive email that my I-130 and I-485 are approved and a card will be mailed. Thank you fellow so much for helping and contributing. Good luck to ones are waiting for interview/ result.

N400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you guys, I just think because there were like 7 questions so it is kind of mini, comparing to other Stokes :devil:

Not really 7... more like 15 with all the little ones added in. But 45 mins... ouch!

Congrats. At the beginning I thought you're a girl lol coz of your name.

02/08/2012 AOS Application Sent.
02/10/2012 Delivered
02/14/2012 NOA Text & Email received
02/21/2012 NOA received in mail for I485, I765 & I131.
02/25/2012 NOA received in mail for I130
02/27/2012 Biometrics letter received. Bio scheduled at 2pm on 03/19.
03/01/2012 Successful Biometrics walk-in. In & out only 20 mins
04/04/2012 Combo card EAD and Advance Parole approved but no mail update or case status update that my card was on production
04/12/2012 Got Combo card in mail.
04/20/2012 Received letter for interview on May 24 at Federal Plaza
05/24/2012 Interviewed at Federal Plaza. No decision on the spot
05/29/2012 E-notification for I-485 & I-130 approvals
06/01/2012 E notification of "Card/Document Production"
06/06/2012 Green Card in hand. Yay!!!

ROC

03/07/2014: Mailed out I751 package

03/10/2014: Package delivered

03/11/2014: Cash checked & NOA1

03/15/2014: NOA1 received in mail

04/01/2014: Successful Biometrics walk-in (Original Bio apt is 04/16/14)

09/22/2014: Got approved

10/03/2014: GC in hand

N400

07/26/2016: Mailed out N400 package

07/29/2016:Cash checked & NOA1

08/02/2016:NOA1 received in mail

08/18/2016: Biometrics 

02/27/2017: Interviewed - Got approved

04/05/17: Oath ceremony

Congrats. At the beginning I thought you're a girl lol coz of your name.

Thank you, my wife created this account but we both use it.

N400

Lol, nah it was in the same small room of interview officer. He just suddenly told us that we needed to be separated. And asked me whole bunch of questions while he was writing down the answers a sheet, he later asked my wife same questions and tricked her occasionally. When you are for real, there is nothing at all. It just takes some time. Good luck to everyone.

N400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

1. How did you meet her?

Wow guys,quite the interview,and tricky too!!! Congratulations,so happy for you! :dance:

Edited by camidustyb

K1- Visa Journey

July 2007-Met Hubby online
January 2008-Started K1 visa process
11/07/2008-NOA(I-797C,Approval Notice)
03/05/2009-K1(K2) Visa Approved
06/23/2009-POE( JFK,NY)
08/15/2009-Married

AOS Journey
11/19/2011(Day00)-Mailed AOS(I-485/EAD/AP For me and my son)
11/21/2011-(Day2)-AOS delivered(no text,no email though from USCIS)
11/22/2011-(Day3)-Application routed to NBC for processing,as stated in the text/email notice received on 12/08/2011
12/08/2011-(Day20)-Text/Email received)
12/09/2011-(Day21)Check cashed
12/13/2011-(Day24)I-797C,NOA hard copies received in the mail(dated 12/08/2011)
12/30/2011-(Day41)Case transferred to another USCIS office for processing(don't know yet which office)
01/06/2012-(Day47)Received text/email that our case is being now processed to another USCIS office
01/09/2012-(Day50)Notice(dated 12/30/11) received in the mail,case transferred to CSC,still no biometrics appt yet
01/25/2012-(Day64)-AP approved-still no biometrics appointment yet...
02/16/2012-(Day86)-Received Biometrics Appt.Notice in the mail
02/29/2012-(Day99)-Biometrics done and EAD approved,email received the same day EAD card/document production ordered
03/05/2012-(Day104)-2nd EAD email update received Card/Document production ordered
03/06/2012-(Day105)-3rd EAD email update received Card/Document mailed
03/09/2012-(Day106)-EAD/AP combo card received in the mail
04/13/2012-(Day140)-10 year Green Card approved(no interview)

...and the Journey continues...in about 3 years...

Naturalization Journey

07/03/2015-N-400 Application mailed via USPS Priority Mail

07/13/2015-N-400 Application Rejected on the basis of insufficient supporting documentation for the Fee Waiver

07/18/2015-N-400 Application mailed via USPS Priority Mail

(F) Be still, and know that I am God. (F)

Psalms 46:10 NIV

Thank you, and yes Stokes interview is tricky.

N400

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congratulations!

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Thank you.

N400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.