8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, please i need someone who has done the AOS process to help me with the following questions:

1-Can we get married in a state and then have the AOS interview in a different state?

2-If not then what or who will tell us where we should have our AOS interview at?

3-Does the AOS interview have to be in the same state where we said we are going to live on the forms?

4-I've heard that we can get married in any state, is that right?

5-What documents do we need for the AOS, and which ones do we have to take them with us to the AOS interview? (usc and alien fiance)

6-What do i have to do at the POE, do i have to pay any fees? do i have to show them the sealed envelope? if yes do they keep it or give it back to me ? and how can i know that i'm giving it to the right person at airpot?

7-If i'm going to have a layover in New york and then change the plane and go to Indiana, where do i have to give them the sealed envelope and where will they attach the I-94 to my passport? in New york or Indiana airport ???

8-On one of the forms that we have submitted to the embassy there's a question that says: where do you want your green card to be sent to, and we put the address, my question is can we change that when we get married, like can i receive it in a different state instead of the one we chose on the form?

9-If we want to live in a different state, how soon after we get married can we move and shall we wait till i receive my conditional green card?

if there's anything else i need to know please tell me about it... Thanks in advance

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

It doesn't matter which state you get married in - it's your address that determines where your interview/biometrics appointment will be.

You can get married in any state that'll doesn't require residency there. Nevada will accept just about any human-looking creature(with ID/passport on them). You have to look at the specific state to know more. Some states also have a waiting time from applying for marriage license until you can get married, some states have no waiting. Indiana, where I live, has none.

When going through immigration, say you're entering on a K1 visa, hand them the envelope and passport and they'll process it, take your fingerprints and picture. Your POE will be the first airport, so New York.

After getting married, you'll file for AOS. This is here you put your US address. That address is used to send you the relevant NOAs and greencard. Inform USCIS if you change address after submitting AOS. Personally, I'd wait moving until done with the AOS process. They're not the quickest critters in the forest to change it, and if you do(form AR-11) make sure to check up on USCIS having the right address so you won't miss any notifications.

...And welcome to Indiana :D If you need more information on how to get different documents/state ID in Indiana, I'll be happy to help.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone, please i need someone who has done the AOS process to help me with the following questions:

1-Can we get married in a state and then have the AOS interview in a different state?

2-If not then what or who will tell us where we should have our AOS interview at?

3-Does the AOS interview have to be in the same state where we said we are going to live on the forms?

4-I've heard that we can get married in any state, is that right?

5-What documents do we need for the AOS, and which ones do we have to take them with us to the AOS interview? (usc and alien fiance)

6-What do i have to do at the POE, do i have to pay any fees? do i have to show them the sealed envelope? if yes do they keep it or give it back to me ? and how can i know that i'm giving it to the right person at airpot?

7-If i'm going to have a layover in New york and then change the plane and go to Indiana, where do i have to give them the sealed envelope and where will they attach the I-94 to my passport? in New york or Indiana airport ???

8-On one of the forms that we have submitted to the embassy there's a question that says: where do you want your green card to be sent to, and we put the address, my question is can we change that when we get married, like can i receive it in a different state instead of the one we chose on the form?

9-If we want to live in a different state, how soon after we get married can we move and shall we wait till i receive my conditional green card?

if there's anything else i need to know please tell me about it... Thanks in advance

The GUIDES on this forum are very helpful, click on the link and read them. Here I will help you -

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Thanks a lot guys. do you have any idea about marriage requirements in FLorida? we might get married there and then come to Indiana for AOS interview, i wish we can do it in Florida as well but i guess not since we wrote down Indiana on the form or can we still choose the place of AOS interview if not why? can you please explain!

and can you please tell me what are the fees that we have to pay once i get there.... is there any fees at the airport ? and how much fo we have to pay for AOS ? and do we pay cash on the interview day?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

There's no citizen or resident requirement for Florida, and for non-residents there's no waiting period.

I'd recommend you to look at this webpage with your fiance(e); http://www.cityapplications.com/marriage-licenses/FL-Florida/mrg-Florida.html - it lists all counties and requirements.

You're not going through AOS yet, so you haven't filled out any forms, or established where you'll be living. You'll do that when you fill out the forms for AOS. USCIS doesn't care where in the US you get married, it has nothing to do with AOS. They only care about it being within 90 days of your POE, and that it's performed by someone authorized to marry you.

If you move to Florida now, then you use that address on the forms you fill out. In that case, you'll have your interview at the nearest office. The address is crucial when receiving notifications from USCIS, and the address determines where the interview(and biometrics appointment) will be at

No fees at the Airport. AOS is 1070 dollars, you pay that by check or money order and submit with with all the other papers. I suggest reading the link Hank_Amy provided, it has ALL the information regarding AOS; which forms to fill out, where to send it and and what's next in the process.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

1. Yes

2. You will have your interview in the office that services the area your address is in. This address is determined by what you write on your AOS documents

3. Yes. The AOS forms. If you mean the K1 forms then no. If you decide to move once you get here that's fine. The address on the AOs (I-485) paperwork is what matters

4. Yes

5. Please see the AOS thread in my signature.

6. No to fee. Yes to envelope. The person at the POE customs desk takes it and they don't give it back

7. Wherever you FIRST land in the US. If this is NY then NY

8. You arrived on a K1. This section of the form is irrelevant to you. When you file the AOS paperwork the address you put on THOSE forms is where your GC/EAD/AP will be sent and how they determine where you interview

9. If possible move before filing AOS. Moving during the process is risky. If you DO plan on moving during the process put your address on the I-485 forms as a PO Box address. This means if they don't change your address correctly (you have to file an AR-11 when you move) you can have someone check the PO Box for you and a stranger doesn't get your AOS paperwork.

Thank you so much guys. that's great news , this way we can get married and put our address as FLorida since marriage is easy there and have our AOS interview in FLorida as well, i'm still not in the U.S yet but i want to make sure we know what to do when i get there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.