Amanda & Tayo

K1 Visa Denied By Consulate

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It could be a LIE or the truth.The embassy tells you the Petition has being returned when you contact them

I had my interview on Thursday

Embassy said my case has gone back to the states..would u say its a lie when my fiancee was physical at the embassy for this enquiry

I don't know where your petition is? Is it possible for your fiancé to go to the embassy instead of calling? If so, have him plan to stay all day until you can get an honest answer out of someone. He shouldn't be rude or disrespectful but he should make clear that he would like someone to look at his case and keep it in Nigeria, maybe give him another interview or have a supervisor look at it or something because this is NOT a sham marriage.

I don't know if this is possible and I'm sorry for what you're going through. I would just make sure we were doing everything in our power to turn this in the right direction.

HUSBAND'S CASE

9/17/2011 - sent I-13

09/19/2011 - noa1 received

3/16/2012 - case sent to my local USCIS office for additional processing

4/21/2012 - AP. If we haven't heard from them in SIX MONTHS (omg) we can feel free to call them!!! Thanks!

9/20/2012 - Interview scheduled - October 3!!!!

10/3/2012 - Interview went well but she must look at his A-file more before decision.

10/12/2012 - I-130 APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

KIDS' CASES

04/20/2012: NOA107/20/2012: instead of an approval, we got thrown into AP. sigh

11/01/2012: Boys' I-130 interview set for November 28, 2012.

11/28/2012: I-130s APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

NVC

12/14/2012: NVC Received

12/31/2012: Case number/IIN

12/31/2012: DS-3032 sent

01/08/2013: DS-3032 accepted

01/02/2013: AOS bill0

1/03/2013: AOS bill shows PAID

01/04/2013: AOS package sent

01/09/2013: IV bill

01/10/2013: IV bill shows PAID

01/11/2013: IV package sent

01/23/2013: Case complete

02/01/2013: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Lagos

02/22/2013: Embassy received

03/01/2013: Medical

03/20/2013: Interview - was told the boys would have been approved on the spot if they had pics! Errrr :-(

04/15/2013: DNA test

05/15/2013: Emailed embassy BEGGING them to let boys drop off passports for visa insertion. IT WORKED!!!

05/31/2013: Visa in hand

06/02/2013: POE JFK!!!!!!

5spxll0m6aa.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Tayo can this case be appeal?meet an immigration lawyer and discuss this issue with them.I believe this issue can be appeal and ask for new interview date.Denial for k1 visa just for immigration purpose is unfair to the beneficiary.If fiancee visa could be address or classified as an immigrant visa,denying applicant without a good reason are uncalled for.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Becoming married usually does nothing to alleviate the reason for the denial. That has to be well understood and then corrections made in order to get beyond that. Moscow is not considered a hard Embassy but all the warnings about the possible questions and the form they may made to your fiance have to be well understood and rehearsed; answering inappropriately could be bad. But since she has been here and you guys have a lot of time spent with each other, you should be fine.

Lagos is a well known hard Embassy, especially for K-1s. Also if the USC is older than the foreign fiance, that is a red flag to them.

We were denied in Lagos on Feb 16,2012 for immigration purposes only after knowing and communicating with each other for more than 4 years. I arrived in Lagos the afternoon of his interview afterwards. I went to the embassy 3 days later and spoke to the CO who interviewed him and was told due to my not being Nigerian and our cultural backgrounds the generally deny K1 visas for that reason as for immigration intentions only. I was told it would be best I marry my fiance and apply for a CR1 and would have better results because it shows more truthful to them. SO.......marriage suggestion in this embassy may very well be the best option......

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Timeline

I am so devastated right now (no surprise) My Fiance's interview was this morning in Lagos. He brought all required documentation and answered all questions but was denied because the officer felt that there was not enough supporting evidence to prove our relationship. Now I have to admit usually when I read this type of stuff I am somewhat jaded but in this situation we have been in contact for 5 years and provided phone records, chat conversations, and pictures from while i was in Lagos last year. I have no clue what to do at this point and any advice would be helpful.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I fear being denied too... Please forgive me for saying this; I'm not making any accusations and/or presumptions. This is just a question; please, but it's the first thing that came to my mind: Is it possible your fiance is not giving you the entire story (100% of how it went down)? Perhaps he did not bring the evidence he should have or not enough maybe... You both been in contact for 5 years, and they still said it wasn't enough? That just don't make any sense to me, being that many people been together a lot less and was approve with No wahala. I don't know; just seems strange to me; sorry... :unsure:

Edited by MyJourney1

Filed: Other Timeline

I am so devastated right now (no surprise) My Fiance's interview was this morning in Lagos. He brought all required documentation and answered all questions but was denied because the officer felt that there was not enough supporting evidence to prove our relationship. Now I have to admit usually when I read this type of stuff I am somewhat jaded but in this situation we have been in contact for 5 years and provided phone records, chat conversations, and pictures from while i was in Lagos last year. I have no clue what to do at this point and any advice would be helpful.

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation; I too, fear denial. I wish the best for y'all next time around.

Edited by MyJourney1

• 7 months later...

But everybody is saying get married in Nigeria and the visa will be approved,well when i was denied,a guy was also denied and he was married to the usa citizen...but me and my fiancee are still going to stay together and fight for K1 visa to let them know we mean business..They can't just denied and then give us their own option ..No way .So my finacee is coming soon for my birthday celebration.........To me Lagos is the worst Embassy in the world..I don't know why Abuja Embassy cannot handle cases like this..

• 2 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

One recent post has been split from this thread and moved to the K-1 Case Progress subforum, with this thread title: "Visa Denied, Alleged Drug Abuse; Stressed [split topic]."

Another recent post has been removed, because it attempted to answer a 3-year-old question from an OP who hasn't logged on to VisaJourney in a year.

Old thread closed to further comments.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.