Amanda & Tayo

K1 Visa Denied By Consulate

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Amanda he can ask for a review of the decision, a consular denial is only available before the consulate returns the petition to DHS which can happen in a matter of days. He may request that the K1 denial be reviewed by the Consulate General or Supervisory Consular Officer (most U.S. Embassies have a procedure for decisions of consular officials to be reviewed by their superiors)or get married and apply for CR1.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

People who advise you to just marry don't have a clue about Lagos. Although it may work it can also play against you. There are some people that just get caught up with bad luck and get denied no matter how prepared they are and how real their relationship. We were denied the first time because he couldn't give details of my classified work. He knew the company , the number of years, my type of work, my hours, my degrees but she wanted details of what I was doing. There was no passing that one. But they didn't keep us apart , they just slowed us up. You can try to get a review at the consulate but Lagos will lie to you about having it already sent back ( They told us it was sent within a week and they actually held it for 3 months ) There are times when the US should really be ashamed of this place as the agency of the US presented to the Nigerian people. If you go the K1 route the second time they should reject you stateside if you don't overcome the reason for denial. You don't get this when going the CR1. I can list many Cr1's that followed K1's in Lagos that also got denied.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

suggesting the op marry and file for cr1 is not sound advice. please stop with that.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

go to the next step CR1...good luck :thumbs:

Met online : 2009
Married : 07/28/2010

USCIS
Send I-130 : 06/08/2011
Touched : 06/13/2011
got a NOA1 by e-mail and SMS : 06/15/2011
got "I-797C" hard copy of NOA1 : 06/20/2011
got RFE "I-797E" : 10/15/2011
RFE Reply : 12/15/2011
Touched : 12/16/2011
I-130 Approved : 12/20/2011
got "I-797" hard copy of NOA2 : 12/24/2011
Your I-130 was approved in 183 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC
NVC Case Number : 01/13/2012
Pay "$88" AOS Bill and e-mailed DS-3032 : 02/08/2012
Email from NVC, DS-3032 Accepted : 02/09/2012
AOS Fee Shows PAID : 02/09/2012
IV fee invoiced "$404" : 02/10/2012
IV fee invoiced "$230" : 04/18/2012
Pay "$230" IV Bill : 04/30/2012
IV Fee Shows PAID : 05/02/2012
Send AOS and IV packet : 06/09/2012
AOS and IV packet Received : 06/22/2012
Case completed at NVC : 06/29/2012

Interview Date : 08/28/2012 "Denied"

Case Reaffirmed : 07/16/2013

Second interview - Approved : 10/24/2013

Visa Issued : 10/29/2013

Visa in hand : 10/31/2013

For more details please visit my timeline

485.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

I am so devastated right now (no surprise) My Fiance's interview was this morning in Lagos. He brought all required documentation and answered all questions but was denied because the officer felt that there was not enough supporting evidence to prove our relationship. Now I have to admit usually when I read this type of stuff I am somewhat jaded but in this situation we have been in contact for 5 years and provided phone records, chat conversations, and pictures from while i was in Lagos last year. I have no clue what to do at this point and any advice would be helpful.

I am so sorry for your news. I really do undrstand. as we are going thru the same process right now.

Our case was sent back to USCIS from Greece. The pain and the heart ache and all the hurt.

I am so sorry to hear this for you.

I am praying for you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

First you need to understand what has caused the refusal. Are there issues with the documents ? In that case you need to overcome it and marriage won't help.

If they believe you don't have a bona fide relationship then according to the attorney Mark Ellis ( a member here ) you can either file another K1 or a CR1 to continue to prove your relationship.

What would be strong proof ? Several visits would top chat and phone logs. How many times did you visit in 5 years ?

Be there for the next interview, even if not allowed inside, sit outside and let them know you are there.

Each case is different but Mark Ellis usually suggests to file a CR1 next,perhaps you should consult with him as he is very good with returned

petitions and he knows to ask you the right questions to determine the next step.

Usually USCIS does not reaffirm returned K1 petitions and lets them expire. This whole process of returning and getting a letter from USCIS can take

6-12 or more months. It will sit in Lagos for a while which gives you a little time to get a senator involved tomorrow to demand a reason and to

ask for a second interview or review by the Consul supervisor. It may not help at all but is worth a try. If granted, be there.

Plan a visit soon and then another. Talk it over if marriage at this point is what you both want.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I am sorry to know that. I hope it will work out well for you two. I can imagine how depressed this denial can be. But keep praying, He will answer your call.

And start planning for a second phase? Like others have said, may be flying over there and marry him, perhaps that may prove your relationship better.

reg.ula.tion.me.ooow.2011 // tomcat.fight

to do list:
file i-130, petition for alien relative
get immigrant visa
get ssn card and green card
get employment authorization - not required
file I-751, petition to remove the conditions of residence (before 2nd year expires upon entry)
become a US citizen

Thank you Visajourney!

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Sorry that this has happened. No offense but by any chance did you do any research on the Consulate of Lagos? I think being misinformed can be a trap especially there because if one doesn't know of the history of the place and then fall into the pit you've fallen it, then it would be tremendously devastating. They told you to start all the way back over? Does that mean any fees that you've already paid - would you have to pay them again?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

What form are you referring to that she has to fill out?

Other than that, what questions are you referring to? She and I went over some of the sample interview questions that are available here on VJ already. Most of those were from different consuls and about different circumstances. However, she and I both still went through all of them. We'll probably go through those, and more, when we know about our interview officially. Not that we're trying to fake a relationship and have to be rehearsed, but rather we want to make sure she understands some differences in the way questions are asked (due to sneaky tactics). It's not easy for a non-native speaking person to pick up on the little modifiers in the questions.

I meant the form of the questions she MAY be asked. She WILL be asked some questions, many of them the standard information stuff, how many times did you two meet, when did you meet, how many brothers does he have....

....the other questions can also be very standard or purposefully misleading.....Did you know that he killed his last wife?

Or are you worried he may beat you? She must know to just answer "matter of factly" and not become emotional....."No he was never married before.....or No he loves me and would never harm me.

Not saying there will be any of these types of questions but there may be.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I meant the form of the questions she MAY be asked. She WILL be asked some questions, many of them the standard information stuff, how many times did you two meet, when did you meet, how many brothers does he have....

....the other questions can also be very standard or purposefully misleading.....Did you know that he killed his last wife?

Or are you worried he may beat you? She must know to just answer "matter of factly" and not become emotional....."No he was never married before.....or No he loves me and would never harm me.

Not saying there will be any of these types of questions but there may be.

If she has to answer a question like "Did you know that he killed his last wife?", will there be only "yes" or "no" choices or can she write "He has never been married before"? Saying "no" could mean that I did it, but that she didn't know about it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am sorry for the denial - don't give up.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I don't know why no one has mentioned this yet, and forgive me because I am not extremely educated on immigration, but when I usually read topics like this people always say, "do EVERYTHING in your power to keep the case at the embassy. Don't let it get sent back to USCIS". I'm not 100% sure why, but I'm guessing that once its sent back you have to start all over. Keep the case in Nigeria and go back and talk to someone. Plead to them that it is real. DON'T LET IT GET SENT BACK. This needs to happen ASAP as they could be sending it back very soon.

Please, someone tell her if I'm wrong. If I am right, please elaborate so she understands what has to happen.

It could be a LIE or the truth.The embassy tells you the Petition has being returned when you contact them

I had my interview on Thursday

Embassy said my case has gone back to the states..would u say its a lie when my fiancee was physical at the embassy for this enquiry

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Nigeria
I-129F Sent : 2011-06-08
I-129F NOA1 : 2011-06-17
I-129F RFE(s) : No RFE
RFE Reply(s) : No RFE
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-09-27
Interview: 2nd Week of January

Immigrant Visa rescheduled for second week of February 2012

Visa Refused on Immigration Purpose February 2013

We Got Married and Filed Spouse Visa

dancin5hr.gif Visa Approved in May 2013dancin5hr.gif

POE was Easy in June 2013

USA Citizen July 2016

Who cares to know how long My Visajourney was???

SSN Arrives on 07/01/2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.