Amanda & Tayo

K1 Visa Denied By Consulate

52 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am so devastated right now (no surprise) My Fiance's interview was this morning in Lagos. He brought all required documentation and answered all questions but was denied because the officer felt that there was not enough supporting evidence to prove our relationship. Now I have to admit usually when I read this type of stuff I am somewhat jaded but in this situation we have been in contact for 5 years and provided phone records, chat conversations, and pictures from while i was in Lagos last year. I have no clue what to do at this point and any advice would be helpful.

Married 3/22/12 heart.gif

USCIS

05/04/13 : I-130 Mailed to USCIS

05/06/13 : NOA1

12/19/13 : Case transferred to CSC

02/18/14 : NOA2

NVC

03/03/14 : NVC received the case

xx/xx/xx : Case number assigned and IIN/BIN

xx/xx/xx : DS-261 Available and completed

xx/xx/xx : AOS bill Available and paid

xx/xx/xx : AOS Emailed to NVC

xx/xx/xx : IV bill available and paid

xx/xx/xx : DS-260 Available and completed

xx/xx/xx : IV package emailed to NVC

xx/xx/xx : Case Complete

CONSULATE

xx/xx/xx : Medical
xx/xx/xx : Interview
xx/xx/xx : Visa in hand
xx/xx/xx : POE

Timeline

I am so devastated right now (no surprise) My Fiance's interview was this morning in Lagos. He brought all required documentation and answered all questions but was denied because the officer felt that there was not enough supporting evidence to prove our relationship. Now I have to admit usually when I read this type of stuff I am somewhat jaded but in this situation we have been in contact for 5 years and provided phone records, chat conversations, and pictures from while i was in Lagos last year. I have no clue what to do at this point and any advice would be helpful.

USCIS

NVC

CONSULATE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

What did they ask for as further evidence? Did they give you the option to provide further evidence or flat-out deny so that you have to refile?

More details would be helpful.

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Timeline

What did they ask for as further evidence? Did they give you the option to provide further evidence or flat-out deny so that you have to refile?

More details would be helpful.

As explained to me they did not give us a chance to provide further evidence and said we would have to start over

Edited by Amanda & Tayo

USCIS

NVC

CONSULATE

Timeline

As explained to me they did not give us a chance to provide further evidence and said we would have to start over

USCIS

NVC

CONSULATE

Filed: Timeline

I am so so sorry. It's heartbreaking to read these stories.

I know Lagos is one of the (if not the) hardest embassies to get through. They have a sky high denial rate and seem to be very strict on evidence.

If anything, you are still eligible to file I-130 if you get married..

Edited by jhsm85

Were there any types of questions they pushed him on specifically?

Situations that usually get them suspicious is stuff like big age gap, few meetings, language barriers, very big cultural differences etc..

In their eyes, chat logs etc can be faked, and pics alone aren't enough, especially if they don't show you two together over a long period of time, in vastly different situations and seasons etc.

Edited by jhsm85

Timeline

Were there any types of questions they pushed him on specifically?

Situations that usually get them suspicious is stuff like big age gap, few meetings, language barriers, very big cultural differences etc..

In their eyes, chat logs etc can be faked, and pics alone aren't enough..

As far as I know he was pushed on questions there is not age gap he's 41 Im 36, no language barriers, no real cultural differences. I guess the frustrating part is that in such a long distance situation what else are you suppose to have besides phone, chat, and what little pics we have from when we are together. I just dont even know what my starting off point is at the moment ie who do i call (if anybody) or what do I do

USCIS

NVC

CONSULATE

As far as I know he was pushed on questions there is not age gap he's 41 Im 36, no language barriers, no real cultural differences. I guess the frustrating part is that in such a long distance situation what else are you suppose to have besides phone, chat, and what little pics we have from when we are together. I just dont even know what my starting off point is at the moment ie who do i call (if anybody) or what do I do

I'm so sorry.. I'm not too familiar with the K-1 process, and I realize K-1 filers are in different positions than CR-1 filers when it comes to evidence, history etc.

All I know is that Lagos is generally considered a very difficult embassy, if not the most difficult. They get a very high number of attempted fraud cases.

Your relationship seems very normal in terms of age, language etc.

Hopefully someone with a little more experience in visa denials and K-1s will respond here too.

If it was me, I would immediately discuss my options with an experienced immigration lawyer. Many lawyers offer free consultation.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by jhsm85

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Lagos is historically a hard Embassy to crack; you should ahve known that. Go to the regional forum and bone up on what couples do/did to be successful; maybe marrying there is best?

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Timeline

So sorry you were denied K1 visa. The same happened to us. I received an email that told me I could refile the I-129f or go to Nigeria and marry my fiance. We were devastated as we never thought we'd be denied and were planning on marrying not too long after his interview. We were married September 1, 2011 the National Marriage Registry in Lagos with a small group of friends! I spent 3 wonderful weeks with him at that time. I just returned from visiting Nija where we visited friends and I met more of his family. Within the next few weeks I will be filing I-130 spousal visa. This may not be the choice for you but it was the best one for us. If we have to spend time apart we wanted to do it as husband and wife! The consulate may deny our petitions but they cannot break our marriage bond! Whether it is in Nigeria or here in the States, we are husband and wife! The waiting and being apart is very hard but we know in the end all will work out. As someone once said: "What doesn't break us makes us stronger." And something as precious as our love for one another is worth fighting for.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

So sorry about the denial, I know the tension I had when my fiance went for her interview....

Well I guess its better to marry and file for spuose as Alexba suggested.....

Be strong, its well....

Timeline

So sorry you were denied K1 visa. The same happened to us. I received an email that told me I could refile the I-129f or go to Nigeria and marry my fiance. We were devastated as we never thought we'd be denied and were planning on marrying not too long after his interview. We were married September 1, 2011 the National Marriage Registry in Lagos with a small group of friends! I spent 3 wonderful weeks with him at that time. I just returned from visiting Nija where we visited friends and I met more of his family. Within the next few weeks I will be filing I-130 spousal visa. This may not be the choice for you but it was the best one for us. If we have to spend time apart we wanted to do it as husband and wife! The consulate may deny our petitions but they cannot break our marriage bond! Whether it is in Nigeria or here in the States, we are husband and wife! The waiting and being apart is very hard but we know in the end all will work out. As someone once said: "What doesn't break us makes us stronger." And something as precious as our love for one another is worth fighting for.

u said it all...dey can never break ur marriage bond..dats a good one..i advise two things...1.wait for the denial to be sent to u by USCIS for possible revocation...2.come marry ur fiance and do the cr1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Sorry to hear about ur denial goodluck with the next step u decide to take

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.