EmelyNJoel

Being present during Interview & time to get visa

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Doubt it could all get done in a week. How quick the embassy kicks the visa out to 2GO can really vary from a couple days to a couple weeks.

Nice thing is the Manila embassy is really good about letting the petitioner in for the interview.

I already have my flight booked so I will be there for the interview, but I am planning to hang out for a couple months before flying back so no stress with waiting for the visa.

Your not needed for the interview nor does it really help. I went to my first K1 fiancees, now ex, interview back in May 2010 at the Embassy in Manila. We went to the pre-screeners windows where they asked her and I questions, but I saw our file and it had already been stamped "Approved". This was before we even went back to talk to the consular officer. I was allowed back into the interview with her and the counselor officer. He talked to her the majority of the time and asked me very little. It was a waste of my money for the trip just to give her moral support. Would not do it again.

Edited by RickJovi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I'm thinkin of not going for the interview this time.

I know. I know.

Be there for the moral support.

And, I Did. The first time I did this.

And, it was quick and fast, once we (she) got to the window.

An ol' guy that helped me the first time, a gringo who was living/working in Colombia, and for a couple hundred bucks, he sent you the basic format and instructions for submitting the initial petition, and then helped your lady with any needed translations for her part, throughout the process. He said no couple he'd ever helped had been turned down, but

.... HE MADE A POINT OF IT,.... that whether you are there for HER INTERVIEW or not really had NO BEARING whatsoever on the decision of visa or no visa.

What's the moral support worth, then?

Edited by GringoD

07/27/2011...........NOA1 received.

12/05/2011...........RFE received.

12/13/2011...........RFE response sent.

12/16/2011...........RFE RESPONSE received by Vermont S.C.

12/22/2011...........Teased by a text-message from uscis, saying they have received my response to the RFE.

12/30/2011...........LA VISA APROVADOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

01/12/2012...........Case Sent To Bogota Colombia, from the National Visa Center.

02/09/2012...........Schedule Interview.

03/23/2012...........Interview (to take place then)!

04/07/2012...........Arrived in USA.

07/01/2012...........MARRIED!

What next?

.......How the days DO slip away!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hey all,

I have two simple questions.

1. How much does it help if the US Citizen is present during the Fiancee's K1 interview at the Embassy?

I tried to look at the Manila specific link, but I'm 'not authorized' for some reason to read that post on Capt. Ewok's pinned thread.

2. If approved, how quickly can Manila (or any embassy really) get the visa. My real question here is would it be practical to fly in the day before the interview, and stay for a week, and expect my fiancé to be able to fly back with me?

Thanks in advance,

Joelb1

I have read both ways on here. I'm going and hoping they let me in with her but either way they will know I am there in the country. I am allowing 15 days from the interview to when I am supposed to fly back. I hope it is enough time to bring her back with me?

I'm set on going, but as a person who is self employed, I'm concerned about missing more than one billable week. Someone has to pay for that wedding! tongue.gif

But I really want to thank everyone for responding!

The time issue is we had hoped to get married the 7th of April. (our birthdays are 15 days apart, this would be the weekend between) Sigh...

Well, the real focus is getting her here. After that, anything else would be icing on the cake...

thanks again everyone.

10/19/2011- FedEx'd I-129F

10/20/2011 - Received @ Dallas Lockbox

10/25/2011 - Received E-mail/Text for NOA1

10/28/2011 - Received NOA1 Hardcopy

02/11/2012 - Received E-mail/Text RFE

02/13/2012 - Received Hardcopy of RFE

02/16/2012 - Fedex'd RFE response

02/17/2012 - Received RFE response @ VSC

02/24/2012 - Received E-mail/Text, RFE Response Review

03/07/2012 - Received E-mail/Text for NOA2 (134 days)

03/10/2012 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

03/13/2012 - NVC Received I129F Approval Packet

03/20/2012 - NVC Sent Packet to Embassy

04/04/2012 - Embassy Received Packet

04/16/2012 - Fiancee received Packet 3.

04/30/2012 - Fiancee responded to Packet 3

06/21/2012 - Interview Date. Visais Approved!.

07/01/2012 - Received Visa from Go2

07/05/2012 - Arrived in USA. Chicago POE.

07/05/2012 - Arrived in Washington.

07/27/2012 - Married (Yea)

09/01/2012 - AOS, AP, EAD Applied for via USPS Registered Mail

09/09/2012 - EMails for all three forms arrived.

09/1?/2012 - NOA 1s for all three arrived.

Filed: Timeline

Being there does offer further evidence of a legitimate relationship, especially if you are obviously a couple. Holding hands, talking, laughing etc. while waiting. The officer will notice these things, just as they notice the absence of the petitioner or if the couple sit apart from each other and seem totally indifferent to each other.

Your fiance will probably also really appreciate the support as it can be a little stressful. Even if you can't go into the interview, it is good to be there in my opinion.

I have no idea on the time. I believe it varies from country to country.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My understanding is that you're not allowed to go into the interview with your beneficiary fiance. That said, I've seen a couple (literally only a couple) of instances where the beneficiary fiance mentioned to the CO that the petitioner fiance was outside waiting for them, and the CO then invited the petitioner fiance in to speak with them. I've also heard of a case or two where the CO poked his head out of the office to physically identify a petitioner fiance or even sent someone to the hotel where the petitioner fiance was supposedly waiting to verify the person's presence. Sometimes the CO will ask "where is your fiance?" or "why isn't your fiance here now?", too. Even if that's not the case, it's easy enough for the beneficiary fiance to make sure to mention that you're right outside the consulate waiting for them. This shows support and a close relationship, even if they don't verify it (but if they do verify, it had sure better be true!) I've even seen one case in particular where the CO invited the petitioner in to speak with her and it ended up turning a case that was about to be denied into an approval! So to make a long story short, I'd recommend being present for the interview!! As for having the visa in hand, that's totally dependent upon the specific consular office. Even if it could be ready within a couple of days, don't you want to give your fiance enough time to gather their belongings and say their goodbyes? Hope this helps!

Our K-1 Visa Timeline

• Jan 20th, 2012 - Mailed I-129F Package to VSC
  • Jan 31st, 2012 - NOA1 Received
  • Jul 11th, 2012 - NOA2 Received
  • Jul 17th, 2012 - Received at NVC/Case Number Assigned
  • Jul 19th, 2012 - Petition Sent to Casablanca Consulate
  • Jul 23rd, 2012 - Petition Received at Casablanca
  • Jul 27th, 2012 - Packet 3 Received
  • Sept 5th, 2012 - Interview (approved)
  • Sept. 7th, 2012 - Visa Received
  • November 16th, 2012 - POE: Atlanta, GA
  • December 1st, 2012 - Married
  • March 21st, 2013 - AOS Filed
  • March 29th, 2013 - I-485 NOA Received
  • June 19th, 2013 - Biometrics Appointment
  • July 11th, 2013 - EAD and AP Combined Card Received
  • September 20th, 2013 - NOID issued for missing immunization records
  • September 26th - 27th, 2013 - Obtained updated immunization, physical, sealed records from Civil Surgeon
  • October 3rd, 2013 - Immunization records mailed to USCIS Charlotte Office
  • October 8th, 2013 - Immunization records received at USCIS
  • October 29th, 2013 - I-485 Application to adjust status to Marriage Visa approved (no interview)
  • November 7th, 2013 - Restricted Green Card arrived
  • July 31st, 2015 - I-751 Removal of Conditions filed
  • August 3rd, 2015 - Received ROC NOA1
  • August 25th, 2015 - Biometrics appointment completed
  • July 14th, 2016 - Application for 10-year visa approved; new card in production
  • July 22nd, 2016 - 10-year visa received
  • September 6th, 2016 - Filed N-400 petition for naturalization
  • September 9th, 2016 - N-400 petition for naturalization received by USCIS - Texas Lockbox (September 9th priority date)
  • September 16th, 2016 - NOA received for N-400
  • October 7th, 2016 - Biometrics appointment
  • October 25th, 2016 - placed in line to receive naturalization interview date
  • February 27th, 2017 - interview scheduled
  • March 3rd, 2017 - NOA received for interview date
  • April 3rd, 2017 - naturalization interview - PASSED!
  • April 21st, 2017 Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My understanding is that you're not allowed to go into the interview with your beneficiary fiance. That said, I've seen a couple (literally only a couple) of instances where the beneficiary fiance mentioned to the CO that the petitioner fiance was outside waiting for them, and the CO then invited the petitioner fiance in to speak with them. I've also heard of a case or two where the CO poked his head out of the office to physically identify a petitioner fiance or even sent someone to the hotel where the petitioner fiance was supposedly waiting to verify the person's presence. Sometimes the CO will ask "where is your fiance?" or "why isn't your fiance here now?", too. Even if that's not the case, it's easy enough for the beneficiary fiance to make sure to mention that you're right outside the consulate waiting for them. This shows support and a close relationship, even if they don't verify it (but if they do verify, it had sure better be true!) I've even seen one case in particular where the CO invited the petitioner in to speak with her and it ended up turning a case that was about to be denied into an approval! So to make a long story short, I'd recommend being present for the interview!! As for having the visa in hand, that's totally dependent upon the specific consular office. Even if it could be ready within a couple of days, don't you want to give your fiance enough time to gather their belongings and say their goodbyes? Hope this helps!

Every US Embassy in each Country has different rules. Some don't and some do allow Petitioners at the Interview.. In this case "Philippines USEM ". Petitioners are allowed inside and at the window during the interview for each CO's. The CO's may ask the petitioner a questions or two or not.

God Does for those who do for themselves..!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.