EmelyNJoel

Being present during Interview & time to get visa

22 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I have two simple questions.

1. How much does it help if the US Citizen is present during the Fiancee's K1 interview at the Embassy?

I tried to look at the Manila specific link, but I'm 'not authorized' for some reason to read that post on Capt. Ewok's pinned thread.

2. If approved, how quickly can Manila (or any embassy really) get the visa. My real question here is would it be practical to fly in the day before the interview, and stay for a week, and expect my fiancé to be able to fly back with me?

Thanks in advance,

Joelb1

10/19/2011- FedEx'd I-129F

10/20/2011 - Received @ Dallas Lockbox

10/25/2011 - Received E-mail/Text for NOA1

10/28/2011 - Received NOA1 Hardcopy

02/11/2012 - Received E-mail/Text RFE

02/13/2012 - Received Hardcopy of RFE

02/16/2012 - Fedex'd RFE response

02/17/2012 - Received RFE response @ VSC

02/24/2012 - Received E-mail/Text, RFE Response Review

03/07/2012 - Received E-mail/Text for NOA2 (134 days)

03/10/2012 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

03/13/2012 - NVC Received I129F Approval Packet

03/20/2012 - NVC Sent Packet to Embassy

04/04/2012 - Embassy Received Packet

04/16/2012 - Fiancee received Packet 3.

04/30/2012 - Fiancee responded to Packet 3

06/21/2012 - Interview Date. Visais Approved!.

07/01/2012 - Received Visa from Go2

07/05/2012 - Arrived in USA. Chicago POE.

07/05/2012 - Arrived in Washington.

07/27/2012 - Married (Yea)

09/01/2012 - AOS, AP, EAD Applied for via USPS Registered Mail

09/09/2012 - EMails for all three forms arrived.

09/1?/2012 - NOA 1s for all three arrived.

Hey all,

1. How much does it help if the US Citizen is present during the Fiancee's K1 interview at the Embassy?

I tried to look at the Manila specific link, but I'm 'not authorized' for some reason to read that post on Capt. Ewok's pinned thread.

2. If approved, how quickly can Manila (or any embassy really) get the visa. My real question here is would it be practical to fly in the day before the interview, and stay for a week, and expect my fiancé to be able to fly back with me?

Thanks in advance,

Joelb1

10/19/2011- FedEx'd I-129F

10/20/2011 - Received @ Dallas Lockbox

10/25/2011 - Received E-mail/Text for NOA1

10/28/2011 - Received NOA1 Hardcopy

02/11/2012 - Received E-mail/Text RFE

02/13/2012 - Received Hardcopy of RFE

02/16/2012 - Fedex'd RFE response

02/17/2012 - Received RFE response @ VSC

02/24/2012 - Received E-mail/Text, RFE Response Review

03/07/2012 - Received E-mail/Text for NOA2 (134 days)

03/10/2012 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

03/13/2012 - NVC Received I129F Approval Packet

03/20/2012 - NVC Sent Packet to Embassy

04/04/2012 - Embassy Received Packet

04/16/2012 - Fiancee received Packet 3.

04/30/2012 - Fiancee responded to Packet 3

06/21/2012 - Interview Date. Visais Approved!.

07/01/2012 - Received Visa from Go2

07/05/2012 - Arrived in USA. Chicago POE.

07/05/2012 - Arrived in Washington.

07/27/2012 - Married (Yea)

09/01/2012 - AOS, AP, EAD Applied for via USPS Registered Mail

09/09/2012 - EMails for all three forms arrived.

09/1?/2012 - NOA 1s for all three arrived.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I asked the same question to both my lawyer and also as a thread on this website. The response my lawyer gave me was that it could take up to 2 weeks after obtaining the visa to actually have it in hand. The response most users gave me was that you could pick it up at d h l within a few days.

Also be aware most consulates will not allow you to enter the building.... some have waiting rooms.... but regardless they will not allow you to be at the actual interview

10/20/2011 - Submitted I-129f to CSC

10/22/2011 - CSC Received our packet

10/24/2011 - NOA1

10/28/2011 - Touched

2/23/2012 - 2/28/2012 Trip to Mexico

2/27/2012 - NOA2

3/5/2012 - NVC received our packet

3/6/2012 - NVC forwarded packet to consulate

3/8/2012 - Received by consulate

3/23/2012 - Packet sent by consulate

4/16/2012 - Medical and Finger printing scheduled

4/17/2012 - Interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

From my experience with the Embassy in Ghana, it is very important for the USC to be present. Ghana is a high fraud Embassy. That said we still do not have our visa and our interview was the 24 of January. We were told we could pick it up on the 29 of February. I have read some people who had their visa in a few days after an approval.

Lifting Conditions I751 Event Date CIS Office : Vermont Service CenterDate Filed : 2013-12-12NOA Date : 2013-12-30RFE(s) : Bio. Appt. : 1/29/14Interview Date :Approval / Denial Date : 4/22/14Got I551 Stamp :Green Card Received :[4/29/2014]Comments : cfmstore_flag_hybrid_ghana_america_heade<p>

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey all,

Thanks in advance,

Joelb1

1. It will help by adding moral and emotional support to your fiance. It also will show that additional proof of relationship by you being there in person with your fiance. Remember the interview is for your fiance not you. Whether you were there or not the interview will stay go on.

2. 5 - 10 days Average wait time for passport and visa to be delivered to or picked up by your fiance from 2GO. After she receives her passport and visa in hand. She will need to attend CFO. CFO seminar and receive her CFO sticker and certificate. She will need to complete this in order to travel out of Philippines.

I would give some more elbow room on the flight date out (2 weeks). just in case some unforeseen issues happen. 7 days is cutting close.

God Does for those who do for themselves..!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Philippines Embassy does allow the petitioner to attend the interview. The petitioner is allow at each CO's interview window. The CO may or may not ask the petitioner any questions.

Philippines Embassy only allows the petitioner in the Embassy at 7:30 AM. The beneficiary is allowed in first.

Every country's US Embassy has different rules. Always review your country's Embassy page or VJ Embassy Information.

God Does for those who do for themselves..!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

OP - I'm a firm believer that it's very helpful. If there is an issue, you are right there to address it.

About flying back with you in a week, that's probably not realistic.

Best wishes!

Edited by jac_chappin

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Phil.Embassy allows petitioner to be with the beneficiary during the interview.in my case my fiance was with me during my interview.the Co asked him few questions.we came in the building together at 6:30 a.m.(my appointment time).just let the petitioner bring with him his passport in case they need identification from him.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

Here's info about the Phillipines Embassy:

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Philippines&cty=Manila

Here's the site with the estimated visa processing time. Currently it's a week:

http://manila.usembassy.gov/nonimmigrant-visa.html#6

K1 Process -

1/30/12 - I-129F sent

2/2/12 - NOA1 Received (CSC)

2/3/12 - Visa App Fee Check Cashed

6/18/12 - NOA2 Email Received at 9PM MST

6/22/12 - NOA2 Letter Received in Mail

7/11/12 - NVC Received

7/13/12 - NVC Sent Case to Moldova Embassy

7/18/12 - Packet 3 dropped off to Embassy

7/19/12 - Packet 3 & 4 Instructions Received from Embassy

7/23/12 - Medical Exam Passed

7/27/12 - Interview

8/4/12 - POE Denver, CO

9/14/12 - Wedding #1 (Denver Courthouse)

9/17/12 - AOS/EAD sent

9/19/12 - AOS/EAD NOA1

10/23/12 - Biometrics

1/16/23 - AOS Interview

6/15/13 - Wedding #2 (Colorado)

6/22/13 - Wedding #3 (Moldova)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello,,,It would not hurt if your fiancee would be there but it is not necessary..It would be good for moral support...My fiancee will not be here for my interview on tuesday the 21 of Feb...I think its better that he does not come and save the money for future expenses like the fee for "Adjustment of status forms" when I get to the states....Many have gone to interview alone...and all has passed..The only way you would fail is if your paperwork is not done right with all the necessary things needed...and if your are hesitant in the short questions they ask...I'll let you know the outcome of my interview when its done...Good Luck.

Edited by bc3159

Timeline

I will think that you being present will help her chances of passing the interview but I doubt if she can fly with you within a week. Just keep your hopes high, and everything will be fine.

Timeline

I went for my then-fiance, now ex-wife 5 1/2 years ago. About 10% of the ladies in the Manila embassy were accompanied by a fiance or husband. I think my being there helped the interview process as it is pretty solid evidence of "ongoing relationship". However I think there are a lot of very good ways to demonstrate an ongoing relationship. It WILL provide moral support for your fiance. But IMHO it's not going to make a lot of difference in whether or not she will be approved, assuming your evidence of relationship is adequate.

It can take 7+ days to get your visa, even if you are picking it up. After you pick it up you still need to get the CFO stamp so you need to allow at least 1 day after the visa and before the flight. I would think that expecting to be out of there within 7 days is unlikely and pretty risky.

My new fiance is very nervous to fly alone to the US, so I am considering going to fly with her, but I highly doubt I will be able to be there for interview and return flight. I anticipate that I will probably not go during that time. Plus as someone else mentioned, I can save the money for other things.

Edited by Grant n Karleen

From what I understand the financee/petitioner is not allowed to go back for the interview. I was not allowed back to the interview area when I attended and brought back my ex GF to USA back in 2006. What I will consider doing if I cannot make my fiancees interview is to team her up with other VJ'ers that are going through the same time frame or those she befriends during her medical etc. There will always be one or two others coming to USA on similar timelines. It may cost me a few hundered more dollars to have her POE in another airport. But if she feels better then I will as well and money well spent and cheaper then 1500 round trip airfare for me. Good luck to you!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey all,

Thanks in advance,

Joelb1

Doubt it could all get done in a week. How quick the embassy kicks the visa out to 2GO can really vary from a couple days to a couple weeks.

Nice thing is the Manila embassy is really good about letting the petitioner in for the interview.

I already have my flight booked so I will be there for the interview, but I am planning to hang out for a couple months before flying back so no stress with waiting for the visa.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.