K1waiting

My K1 Visa Interview Day

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hey all,

Finally had my interview on 3rd Feb 2012 and was approved! :)

Thought I'd write up the experience as closely as I could remember it.

My fiancee, Telisha, (US citizen) and I, Huw, spent the two days prior to the interview making sure that I had copies, and originals of all forms and documents ready for my interview. I had one folder for all original documents, one folder for all our post NOA1 evidence, a second folder, with an additional copy of all the evidence and documents. Another folder of the original I-129F with all the evidence that we submitted, a fifth folder, with an additional copy of all that evidence, and a plastic with the forms I'd need to get in. Overkill maybe, but we decided it was better to be over-prepared than under-prepared.

All together I had the following with me:

Pre-NOA1 folder

Copy of the cheque for the payment of the I-129F fee.

Copy of originally submitted I-129F

G-325A for the both of us.

Passport photos for the both of us.

Copy of Birth certificate for Telisha

Copy of SSI card Telisha

Copy of passport for Telisha.

Copy of final divorce decree for Telisha

Letter certifying intent to marry from Telisha

Letter certifying intent to marry from Huw

Letter certifying our relationship is genuine from Telisha's parents

Copy of Telisha's parents ID.

Letter certifying our relationship is genuine from Huw's parents

Copy of Huw's parents passports

Proof of having met in the last two years, and proof of ongoing relationship (msn/skype convos, flight itineraries, photos of us together, birthday and christmas cards etc.)

A duplicate folder of all the above.

Post-NOA1 folder

Copie of birth certificate for Huw

Medical results for Huw

Police certificate for Huw

Affidavit of support from Telisha for Huw (she meets the requirements), with letter from employeer, one tax return (as she's only worked there just over a year), screen print

Additional affidavit of support from Telisha's father for Huw (he also meets the requirments, included just in case)

New letter certifying intent to marry from Telisha

New letter certifying intent to marry from Huw

Proof of ongoing relationship since original I-129F application (msn/skype convos, flight itineraries, photos of us together, birthday and christmas cards etc.)

Proof of Telisha being in the UK with Huw for the interview (flight info, hotel booking).

Original document folder

Originals of all documents from the other folders

My appointment at the US Embassy in London was at 9.30am. I turned up with my fiancee at 8.30am, and joined the queue of around 50 people that had formed so far. Got to the first Embassy official, who checked my passport, my MRV receipt to confirm payment for the interview (which has to be made in advance) and my appointment letter. She let me past and I progressed down the queue to the next Embassy Official, who again checked my passport, MRV receipt and appointment letter. Next, I was called into the first small building, where I was asked to put all my paperwork into a container, empty my pockets and walk through the scanner. I picked my things up on the other side, and was told to follow the yellow visa signs around the side of the building, and up some stairs, into a reception. The receptionist gave me a ticket, with a number on it. I was I-914.

I proceeded up the next set of stairs, into a big waiting room. The room had a large sitting area, refreshments at the far end, and interview booths 1-11 along the right hand side wall. The courier desk for the return of documents was at the rear. There's a passageway to the right, where the toilets, and interview windows 12-25 are located. There are a few screens in the middle of the room, with the ticket number and interview window number, and this info is called out over a speaker system. I took my seat and waited.

There was N tickets, and I tickets. I assume these are for Non-Immigrant and Immigrant applications. I waited around 30 mins, listing to N ticket numbers being called out, and then I heard the first I number, which to my relief was 901. After around 2hrs of waiting, my number was called and I went to the interview window. The woman at the desk asked me for my passport, my original birth certificate, a copy of the birth certificate, two passport photos and my affidavit of support. I passed all this info, including both of my affidavits, and asked her if she wanted any of the evidence. She said no. She then asked me a few questions from a sheet, things like 'have you ever been arrested, have you ever been to the US, and have you ever been denied entry to the US'. I had been denied entry once before, so I answered Yes. She didn't ask me why. She then gave me back my x-ray, and told me I'd need it for the border, and gave me a pink sheet of paper, that I was to give to the courier desk if my application was successful. She then told me to go and take a seat, and wait for my number to be called again.

The pink sheet said be prepared for a wait of several hours. Luckily, my number was called again after around 25 mins, and I proceeded to the interview window for my actual interview.

An American man interviewed me, and this is what he asked (as best as I can remember). He passed me back my original birth certificate, said good morning and asked me how I was. Then he told me he was going to ask me a few questions.

Interviewer: So your fiancee's name is Telisha?

Huw: Yes

I: How did you meet Telisha

H: We met on an internet stratergy game

I: What was the name of the game?

H: Tribalwars

I: So how did you first talk to her? I imagine there are thousands of people playing it?

H: I was the leader of one 'tribe' and she was the leader of another. I mailed her to discuss diplomacy between our tribes.

He laughed at that :)

I: So what happened after that?

H: We talked a bit about the game at first, and then started talking on msn and became friends.

I: So does Telisha live along?

H: No, she has two sons, Wesley and Wyatt.

I: Are they good kids?

H: Yeah there well behaved, most of the time.

I: Do you get on with them?

H: Yes very well, they're nice kids.

I: How old are they?

H: Wyatt is 7 and Wesley is 12.

I: What year are they in in school?

H: Erm, I don't know, it's a different system over there and I don't understand it yet! I think Wesley is in Year 7/8?

I: He's in year 6, he'd be in 7/8 over here. (nervous smile from me, chuckle back from the interviewer).

I: So what do they kids like doing, what do they like playing?

H: Well Wyatt is really into Thomas the tank, he loves it, but Wesley prefers dinosaurs, that's what I got them last Christmas.

I: Ok. So what does Telisha do?

H: She's a customer services manager for Walmart at the moment, but just got promoted to a Corporate Manager, so she'll be in charge of several stores.

I: Where will you be living?

H: We'll be living in Hastings, Michigan, we just bought a house there.

I: You bought it together?

H: No, Telisha bought it.

I: So you said that you were denied entry to the US, can you tell me about that?

H: Sure, I went over to visit Telisha in Dec 09, and stayed for 89 days. Then I went to Canada for a few days, and came back into the US with the intention of staying for another couple of weeks, but I was denied at the POE. I wasn't aware that I wasn't allowed to do that, so I then went back to Canada and took a flight back to the UK.

I: Ok that's fine, that's not a permanent denial, and I'm happy with the rest of the interview, so I'm happy to say you're approved.

At this point I broke into a HUGE smile, and he smiled back. I asked him if he wanted any of the evidence that we'd collected, anything for the affidavit etc, and he said no it was fine, so I said thank you very much, and he wished me good luck!

I then went to hand in my pink courier sheet, paid the fee for the return of my documents, and left.

I was a little disapointed that he didn't want any of our evidence after we spent all that time putting it together, but so happy that it was now all over! All in all a nice, pleasant experience!

01/06/11 - I-129F sent

07/06/11 - NOA1

09/06/11 - Touched

17/10/11 - NOA2 Approved! (132 days from NOA1)

10/01/11 - Medical - PASSED!

03/02/12 - Interview! - APPROVED!

07/03/12 - POE - 15mins and through!

19/05/12 - Married!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Hey all,

Finally had my interview on 3rd Feb 2012 and was approved! :)

Thought I'd write up the experience as closely as I could remember it.

My fiancee, Telisha, (US citizen) and I, Huw, spent the two days prior to the interview making sure that I had copies, and originals of all forms and documents ready for my interview. I had one folder for all original documents, one folder for all our post NOA1 evidence, a second folder, with an additional copy of all the evidence and documents. Another folder of the original I-129F with all the evidence that we submitted, a fifth folder, with an additional copy of all that evidence, and a plastic with the forms I'd need to get in. Overkill maybe, but we decided it was better to be over-prepared than under-prepared.

All together I had the following with me:

Pre-NOA1 folder

Copy of the cheque for the payment of the I-129F fee.

Copy of originally submitted I-129F

G-325A for the both of us.

Passport photos for the both of us.

Copy of Birth certificate for Telisha

Copy of SSI card Telisha

Copy of passport for Telisha.

Copy of final divorce decree for Telisha

Letter certifying intent to marry from Telisha

Letter certifying intent to marry from Huw

Letter certifying our relationship is genuine from Telisha's parents

Copy of Telisha's parents ID.

Letter certifying our relationship is genuine from Huw's parents

Copy of Huw's parents passports

Proof of having met in the last two years, and proof of ongoing relationship (msn/skype convos, flight itineraries, photos of us together, birthday and christmas cards etc.)

A duplicate folder of all the above.

Post-NOA1 folder

Copie of birth certificate for Huw

Medical results for Huw

Police certificate for Huw

Affidavit of support from Telisha for Huw (she meets the requirements), with letter from employeer, one tax return (as she's only worked there just over a year), screen print

Additional affidavit of support from Telisha's father for Huw (he also meets the requirments, included just in case)

New letter certifying intent to marry from Telisha

New letter certifying intent to marry from Huw

Proof of ongoing relationship since original I-129F application (msn/skype convos, flight itineraries, photos of us together, birthday and christmas cards etc.)

Proof of Telisha being in the UK with Huw for the interview (flight info, hotel booking).

Original document folder

Originals of all documents from the other folders

My appointment at the US Embassy in London was at 9.30am. I turned up with my fiancee at 8.30am, and joined the queue of around 50 people that had formed so far. Got to the first Embassy official, who checked my passport, my MRV receipt to confirm payment for the interview (which has to be made in advance) and my appointment letter. She let me past and I progressed down the queue to the next Embassy Official, who again checked my passport, MRV receipt and appointment letter. Next, I was called into the first small building, where I was asked to put all my paperwork into a container, empty my pockets and walk through the scanner. I picked my things up on the other side, and was told to follow the yellow visa signs around the side of the building, and up some stairs, into a reception. The receptionist gave me a ticket, with a number on it. I was I-914.

I proceeded up the next set of stairs, into a big waiting room. The room had a large sitting area, refreshments at the far end, and interview booths 1-11 along the right hand side wall. The courier desk for the return of documents was at the rear. There's a passageway to the right, where the toilets, and interview windows 12-25 are located. There are a few screens in the middle of the room, with the ticket number and interview window number, and this info is called out over a speaker system. I took my seat and waited.

There was N tickets, and I tickets. I assume these are for Non-Immigrant and Immigrant applications. I waited around 30 mins, listing to N ticket numbers being called out, and then I heard the first I number, which to my relief was 901. After around 2hrs of waiting, my number was called and I went to the interview window. The woman at the desk asked me for my passport, my original birth certificate, a copy of the birth certificate, two passport photos and my affidavit of support. I passed all this info, including both of my affidavits, and asked her if she wanted any of the evidence. She said no. She then asked me a few questions from a sheet, things like 'have you ever been arrested, have you ever been to the US, and have you ever been denied entry to the US'. I had been denied entry once before, so I answered Yes. She didn't ask me why. She then gave me back my x-ray, and told me I'd need it for the border, and gave me a pink sheet of paper, that I was to give to the courier desk if my application was successful. She then told me to go and take a seat, and wait for my number to be called again.

The pink sheet said be prepared for a wait of several hours. Luckily, my number was called again after around 25 mins, and I proceeded to the interview window for my actual interview.

An American man interviewed me, and this is what he asked (as best as I can remember). He passed me back my original birth certificate, said good morning and asked me how I was. Then he told me he was going to ask me a few questions.

Interviewer: So your fiancee's name is Telisha?

Huw: Yes

I: How did you meet Telisha

H: We met on an internet stratergy game

I: What was the name of the game?

H: Tribalwars

I: So how did you first talk to her? I imagine there are thousands of people playing it?

H: I was the leader of one 'tribe' and she was the leader of another. I mailed her to discuss diplomacy between our tribes.

He laughed at that :)

I: So what happened after that?

H: We talked a bit about the game at first, and then started talking on msn and became friends.

I: So does Telisha live along?

H: No, she has two sons, Wesley and Wyatt.

I: Are they good kids?

H: Yeah there well behaved, most of the time.

I: Do you get on with them?

H: Yes very well, they're nice kids.

I: How old are they?

H: Wyatt is 7 and Wesley is 12.

I: What year are they in in school?

H: Erm, I don't know, it's a different system over there and I don't understand it yet! I think Wesley is in Year 7/8?

I: He's in year 6, he'd be in 7/8 over here. (nervous smile from me, chuckle back from the interviewer).

I: So what do they kids like doing, what do they like playing?

H: Well Wyatt is really into Thomas the tank, he loves it, but Wesley prefers dinosaurs, that's what I got them last Christmas.

I: Ok. So what does Telisha do?

H: She's a customer services manager for Walmart at the moment, but just got promoted to a Corporate Manager, so she'll be in charge of several stores.

I: Where will you be living?

H: We'll be living in Hastings, Michigan, we just bought a house there.

I: You bought it together?

H: No, Telisha bought it.

I: So you said that you were denied entry to the US, can you tell me about that?

H: Sure, I went over to visit Telisha in Dec 09, and stayed for 89 days. Then I went to Canada for a few days, and came back into the US with the intention of staying for another couple of weeks, but I was denied at the POE. I wasn't aware that I wasn't allowed to do that, so I then went back to Canada and took a flight back to the UK.

I: Ok that's fine, that's not a permanent denial, and I'm happy with the rest of the interview, so I'm happy to say you're approved.

At this point I broke into a HUGE smile, and he smiled back. I asked him if he wanted any of the evidence that we'd collected, anything for the affidavit etc, and he said no it was fine, so I said thank you very much, and he wished me good luck!

I then went to hand in my pink courier sheet, paid the fee for the return of my documents, and left.

I was a little disapointed that he didn't want any of our evidence after we spent all that time putting it together, but so happy that it was now all over! All in all a nice, pleasant experience!

This is so awesome!!! Congratulations!!!! :thumbs:

EVERYTHING IS WITH THE HELP OF GOD. HE NEVER LET US DOWN. HAVE FAITH IN YOUR GOD!!!! I LOVE YOU BABY FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!!

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” - Corinthians

-October 12,2011 Petition sent to CSC
-October 19,2011 NOA1
-Feb.27,2012 NOA2 approval (131 days from NOA1)
-March 7,2012 The Petition Forwarded to Consulates:)
-March 23,2012 Packet 3 and 4 Received.
-April 3,2012 Visa Approved
-April 20,2012 VISA in my Hand.Yey. smile.pngsmile.png
-April 25,2012 My Flight and My POE is JFK
-August 03,2012 AOS filed
-August 28,2012 RFE
-September 05,2012 RFE sent and They received it on Sept.13th
-October 10,2012 EAD approved
-October 18,2012 EAD card in the mail.Yey

-September 6,2013 Green card APPROVED!!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congratulations to You Both!:thumbs: :thumbs:

Sent NOA1 April 30th 2011

received May 2nd 2011

NOA1 Notice Date:May 4th 2011

NOA 2 txt/ email on july 18th 2011

NOA 2 received in Mail July 20th dated July 18th 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Personal issue in the Philippines

Medical Exam: March 22nd 2012

Medical Cleared on March 23rd 2012

Interview Date:April 16th, 2012......PASSED

Arrival Los Angeles California: July 7th 2012.

Marriage September 7th 2012 at San Bernardino County Hall of Records

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Congratulations!! :)

July 29, 2010 - Met online as penpals

September 15, 2010 - Began relationship

August 25th, 2011 - Met in person

September 20, 2011 - I-129F sent

September 26, 2011 - NOA1

February 13, 2012 - NOA2

June 18, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Sounds like you had everything so well organised... Congratulations! all the best for the rest of the journey :thumbs:

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congratulations! It seems that everyone who has overprepared didn't need anything they brought with them. I guessing that those who underprepare end up needing the things they didn't bring. Sure indicates what I plan to do :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Not the usual pick-up line but I would've laughed right here too In a good way :D Many congrats.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Congratulations!!!! :thumbs:

Met online : 2009
Married : 07/28/2010

USCIS
Send I-130 : 06/08/2011
Touched : 06/13/2011
got a NOA1 by e-mail and SMS : 06/15/2011
got "I-797C" hard copy of NOA1 : 06/20/2011
got RFE "I-797E" : 10/15/2011
RFE Reply : 12/15/2011
Touched : 12/16/2011
I-130 Approved : 12/20/2011
got "I-797" hard copy of NOA2 : 12/24/2011
Your I-130 was approved in 183 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC
NVC Case Number : 01/13/2012
Pay "$88" AOS Bill and e-mailed DS-3032 : 02/08/2012
Email from NVC, DS-3032 Accepted : 02/09/2012
AOS Fee Shows PAID : 02/09/2012
IV fee invoiced "$404" : 02/10/2012
IV fee invoiced "$230" : 04/18/2012
Pay "$230" IV Bill : 04/30/2012
IV Fee Shows PAID : 05/02/2012
Send AOS and IV packet : 06/09/2012
AOS and IV packet Received : 06/22/2012
Case completed at NVC : 06/29/2012

Interview Date : 08/28/2012 "Denied"

Case Reaffirmed : 07/16/2013

Second interview - Approved : 10/24/2013

Visa Issued : 10/29/2013

Visa in hand : 10/31/2013

For more details please visit my timeline

485.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.