AroojandAmin

Can we apply for Food stamps?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I think the real question is: Can the USC apply for food stamps and list the LPR as one of the dependents? The worry is, because an LPR cannot receive food stamps, would this still apply if they are a dependent and not the applicant?

That real question has been asked before, here at VJ.

Any idea for the right search terms, for the advanced search engine ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

That real question has been asked before, here at VJ.

Any idea for the right search terms, for the advanced search engine ?

The problem was, the person who answered the question, answered it as though the LPR would be the one applying for benefits when in actuality it was the USC applying and wanting to include the LPR as a member of the household on the application.

"Can LPR be included on SNAP application as a household member"? - that would be a perfect search term

i think it was just clearly established that the immigrant isnt entitled to government aid. oh and if your not happy with the system then take it up with your government instead of whining about it on here!!!

AMEN!!!

Married: 6/17/11

I-130 Sent: 7/9/11

NOA1 : 7/14/11

I-129F Sent: 7/21/11

NOA1: 7/21/11

NOA2: 8/22/11

NVC Received: 8/24/11

NVC Left: 8/26/11

Consulate Received: 9/5/11

Packet 4 Received: 10/4/11

Medical Done: 11/7/11

Interview: 11/23/11

Approved: 11/23/11

Changed to CR1: 12/16/11

Medical Re-Done: 1/5/12

Waiting for Issuance of Visa.........

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

While San Diego certainly was harsh, he (or she?) does represent a substantial portion of the populace who sees immigrants as a drain on the system, and questions like this don't help. If a USC can't afford to support his or her spouse--knowing that said spouse won't be able to work for some time after arrival--maybe immigration should wait until a better financial situation is achieved? Even if the LPR doesn't qualify, it seems likely in some of these situations that the USC could have supported (and was supporting) him/herself without any government assistance, but having added another person to support into the equation means they now need food stamps. So while the food stamps are in the USC's name, they wouldn't have been paid out unless someone else came along to further stretch an already-limited budget. I can understand the frustration. I don't necessarily agree, but I can see that POV.

i dont mind anyone having a POV... i just dont see the need for someone to be an a*s when all the OP has asked for is advice. if they wanted personal opinion of them and other immigrants then they would of asked for that

Edited by Dan & Jenni

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I also understand that there is and has been a problem with some immigrants taking advantage of government benefits, but in this particular question/situation, it is simply a question - not a plan to mooch off the government. I also wanted to know the answer so that when my immigrant husband arrived, if for some tragic reason I lost my job or we ran into a difficult time financially that was not prepared for, would be at least be able to eat or would we also have to worry about where to get our meals from. Not for nothing but, the economy isn't pretty right now and any of our lives could change tomorrow - what we had, where we worked, what we were accustomed to....gone. There is nothing wrong with knowing or planning in advance. But to make a statement like "san diego" made....if you read it again...it actually made no sense at all in conjunction with this post. The OP wanted to know if the LPR would be able to be included on the application - not apply for food stamps. This is when "san diego" went postal and started with the "immigrants sucking up government benefits" speech. It really served no purpose. And most importantly....the answer is NO. The LPR wouldn't even be able to be added to the application - so it really effects no one, or taxpayers, or the government.

What blows my mind even more is.....everyone on here has an immigrant partner....so to speak about immigrants as though they are second class as in "san diego's" statement.....is disgusting to me.

:thumbs:

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

While San Diego certainly was harsh, he (or she?) does represent a substantial portion of the populace who sees immigrants as a drain on the system, and questions like this don't help. If a USC can't afford to support his or her spouse--knowing that said spouse won't be able to work for some time after arrival--maybe immigration should wait until a better financial situation is achieved? Even if the LPR doesn't qualify, it seems likely in some of these situations that the USC could have supported (and was supporting) him/herself without any government assistance, but having added another person to support into the equation means they now need food stamps. So while the food stamps are in the USC's name, they wouldn't have been paid out unless someone else came along to further stretch an already-limited budget. I can understand the frustration. I don't necessarily agree, but I can see that POV.

I am not siding with anyone but I can see the POV.... and it is 2 people + a baby that is considered for the co sponsor now..

dont forget the baby that was born here and is another dependent for the household question

On OP's other posts there was worry expressed about will the interview be affected by his wife not paying taxes because she takes care of the new baby, San Diego had a point but I think the sharpness and timing was incorrect and maybe wrong for this thread.

event.png

event.png

5 - Will SNAP/Food Stamps hurt my chances of getting a green card or becoming a citizen?

No. SNAP/Food Stamps will not affect your chances of becoming a US citizen, nor do they hurt the chances of getting a green card. SNAP/Food Stamps are not "cash assistance benefits".

Source: http://www.masslegalhelp.org/income-benefits/food-stamps-for-legal-permanent-residents

I have seen this before, asking can I get food stamps, welfare, WIC, etc. What you can NOT get is long tern care like SSI/SSA. But these rules change regularly apparently. I used to work welfare/DPSS and if LPR came in I checked their green card info and if there was a sponsor they got the bill for whatever food stamps we issued. But we still issued.

As for the USC being eligible, well guess what. When it was just me I had oodles of spending money. Now in the last 3 months I have acquired a wife, 2 kids, and 2 dogs. Talk about intense! But I have much less spending money than I used to. DUH! Yes they can get Medicare/Medi-cal and other benefits but I did the math before they got here. I can afford insurance, food, and so on. As a family there is no need to seek out benefits. That's how I roll.

The 125% poverty numbers are kind of a joke, there is no way to support a family of four on $28k a year. If the government thinks I can do it, I want to see their numbers.

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

It will not affect you. BUt you have to be a us citizen or legal.

I-129F Petition for Fiance Visa Time line:

7/11/2011 Form I-129 was sent through U.S Postal Services

7/14/2011 Form was recieved

7/15/2011 Notice Date

7/18/2011 $350.00 Check was cashed

10/11/2011 Petition Approved

10/28/11 Petition Forward to NVC

12/5/2011 Visa Packet Recieved

12/6/2011 Started to get all my documents

1/23/2012 All paper work was foward to my fiance

1/24/2012 Interview at telgucigualpa, Honduras

1/24/2012 Need to resend require doucements

Currently I am in process of resubmitting my new documents and my co sponsor for I-134. I will include all ORIGNAL DOCUMENTS!

1/29/2012 Fedex and resubmitted documents should arrive 2/1/2012

Wish me alot of luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am not siding with anyone but I can see the POV.... and it is 2 people + a baby that is considered for the co sponsor now..

dont forget the baby that was born here and is another dependent for the household question

On OP's other posts there was worry expressed about will the interview be affected by his wife not paying taxes because she takes care of the new baby, San Diego had a point but I think the sharpness and timing was incorrect and maybe wrong for this thread.

Sorry not OP but other person asking inside this thread :bonk:

event.png

event.png

Uhm I think you dont know that immigrants are not eligible to receive any kind of government aid and F.Y.I if you've ever looked at statistics, whites are the highest % of welfare users. My husband served this nation in the army, what have you done? Who are you to define who is first and second class? You state your opinion which is meant to offend others. I did not post this question for people to judge me. It's just something I wanted to know. Just because you are disgusted you have to intrude on my post to get it off your chest? Just go worry about yourself. Thanks for your opinion, but keep it to yourself.

Whites are the highest percentage of welfare recipients because white people are the overwhelming majority of people in the U.S. (72%, according to the U.S. Census). The Census also defines "white" as thus: “White” refers to a person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicated their race(s) as “White” or reported entries such as Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Arab, Moroccan, or Caucasian. Just an FYI.

When I worked at DPSS one recipient wrote to me and asked, "I'm thinking of moving to Idaho. What's the welfare like there?" Of course she could have asked about the jobs, the educational opportunities or any number of things to better herself. To her welfare is an attitude and a way of life.

In another incident a former recipient walked in and asked how much his family had received while on aid. It was a couple years back but the computer showed about $36k was issued. I told him the exact amount. He wrote a check and paid it back. He didn't have to, he wanted to.

BROKE is a temporary financial situation. POOR is a state of mind.

Edited by Robert&Karen

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

But these rules change regularly apparently. I used to work welfare/DPSS and if LPR came in I checked their green card info and if there was a sponsor they got the bill for whatever food stamps we issued. But we still issued.

Thanks for that information. This is often a question when the green card holder gets divorced from the USC after adjustment of status. The affadavit of support leaves the USC liable for any means-tested benefits received by the immigrant. But that doesn't mean the state chases down the USC for reimbursement, and apparently many don't. It seems yours does.

This has bearing on the OP because the whole point of a sponsor for financial support is just that: to support. They can't be signing that statement and thinking it is just to pull a quick one on the immigration officials. When the couple has financial trouble, they are supposed to go to their sponsor who pledged to help. Your state apparently billed the sponsor, which makes you wonder why they bothered to apply for food stamps in the first place instead of just asking the sponsor.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

three posts removed for topic derailment along with all posts quoting.

another post removed for racial remarks.

one member thread banned from this topic.

stay on topic and spare the op the judgmentalism.

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Whites are the highest percentage of welfare recipients because white people are the overwhelming majority of people in the U.S. (72%, according to the U.S. Census). The Census also defines "white" as thus: “White” refers to a person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicated their race(s) as “White” or reported entries such as Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Arab, Moroccan, or Caucasian. Just an FYI.

Great information. Thanks for doing the research on this. It's good for people to know the FACTS! :thumbs:

Married: 6/17/11

I-130 Sent: 7/9/11

NOA1 : 7/14/11

I-129F Sent: 7/21/11

NOA1: 7/21/11

NOA2: 8/22/11

NVC Received: 8/24/11

NVC Left: 8/26/11

Consulate Received: 9/5/11

Packet 4 Received: 10/4/11

Medical Done: 11/7/11

Interview: 11/23/11

Approved: 11/23/11

Changed to CR1: 12/16/11

Medical Re-Done: 1/5/12

Waiting for Issuance of Visa.........

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.