carefree

CAPS or not?

10 posts in this topic

i have a stupid question.... so i am getting ready to send out my N-400 application tomorrow...everything is ready and properly labeled and such...i was doing my last minute checking (double checking) then i read the instuction "Print clearly or type your answers using CAPITAL letters. Failure to print clearly may delay your application. Use blank ink." so i started to freak out.....i followed the sample N-400 form showed here and the only capital letter they did was the last names...do i really have to retype everything to change it all to caps? i know its a pretty simple and clear instruction...but do i really have to redo it?

thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It says type using capital letters, that is what you should do.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

i have a stupid question.... so i am getting ready to send out my N-400 application tomorrow...everything is ready and properly labeled and such...i was doing my last minute checking (double checking) then i read the instuction "Print clearly or type your answers using CAPITAL letters. Failure to print clearly may delay your application. Use blank ink." so i started to freak out.....i followed the sample N-400 form showed here and the only capital letter they did was the last names...do i really have to retype everything to change it all to caps? i know its a pretty simple and clear instruction...but do i really have to redo it?

thanks

I did not use all caps and Alla has her interview Wednesday. I am guessing they did not call her to the interview to tell her that she should have used all caps. Whad'ya bet?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I did not use all caps and Alla has her interview Wednesday. I am guessing they did not call her to the interview to tell her that she should have used all caps. Whad'ya bet?

Now that's funny

I mailed my wife's N400 yesterday and i typed everything except the email address as instructed in thee instruction.

thanks

REALESTATE BROKER & MORTGAGE LOAN ORIGINATOR

STATE OF CALIFORNIA

12fa14f592.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Typed out my wife's using Adobe Acrobat Pro using Times New Roman fonts using capitals grammatically correct. with lower case letters. Her IO never made an issue out of it. Looked extremely neat and professional, then we have de names that are not correct capitalized.

For stepdaughter used Adobe Reader, version 10 lets you save and correct your form. Had no choice with fonts that used that old fashion typewriter like Courier font, they I used all capital letters. An issue wasn't made out of that either.

Adobe Acrobat Pro is great, automatically resizes the font to fit in the blank, since my wife had a Spanish address for the past five years, only way I could type in those foot long addresses, and no way could I print that neat that small. Stepdaughter didn't have that problem with the five year, has a simple USA address.

Adobe Pro tees me off, while the program really hasn't change much in the last 15 years, they keep on changing the pfd format every year and want several hundred bucks for an upgrade. And while their has been no changes in the N-400, they keep on updating it to the latest Adobe format. Didn't want to spend a fortune updating my Pro, but did want to use the latest dated form downloaded from the USCIS site, wouldn't load on my older two year version of pro, so had to use Reader instead.

Nothing like having printed copy so you can check and triple check it. Then spent hours with my wife and stepdaughter going over the form explaining it. Going through that form is the longest part of your interview and the most difficult. Civics and English test was super simple for both of them.

Actually on both forms, went clear back to the AOS and was mostly a copy and paste operation with updates. Same old stuff, over and over again. Also printed out an identical duplicate copy of that form and all the evidence. Good thing to have in case they lose your application. USCIS is great at losing stuff.

I used caps but the only reason they ask you to do that is so that everything is more legible, not because your residency hinges on CAPS LOCK lol.

l - lower case L

I - upper case I

Both of those look the same, in all caps you'd be able to differentiate them easily.

Edited by Heliosphan

Removing Conditions

07/31/2010 - Filed for Removal of Conditions (I-751)

08/02/2010 - ROC Packet received

08/03/2010 - NOA notice date for I-751

08/05/2010 - Check cashed

08/07/2010 - NOA received for I-751

08/13/2010 - Biometrics appointment letter received

09/01/2010 - Biometrics taken

09/01/2010 - Case status appears online

11/08/2010 - Card production ordered

11/13/2010 - I-751 Approval Letter received

11/19/2010 - Green Card received in the mail

Citizenship

08/01/2011 - Filed for Citizenship (N-400)

08/03/2011 - N400 Packet received

08/05/2011 - Received email/text confirming application receipt

08/08/2011 - Check cashed

08/09/2011 - Biometrics notice sent

08/12/2011 - NOA received for N400

08/12/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter received

08/29/2011 - Biometrics taken

08/31/2011 - Case Status Notification: Placed in line for interview scheduling

10/11/2011 - Received yellow letter

01/11/2012 - Interview letter sent

01/17/2012 - Interview letter received

02/16/2012 - Interview & received Oath letter

03/06/2012 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Probably following the instructions is always best, just noting that not using all caps will not be a problem. Preferences are not requirements. Confusion can occur but can be corrected with different fonts also :

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I think they want to make sure that it's properly readable. Caps/lowercase isn't an issue if you use a PDF-filler like most people do now... but handwriting can be very confusing. I never even noticed that requirement when I filled it out, but I typed it on the computer.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.