Feyisayo

I want to delay my interview date for this reasons

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi VJs

Am feyisayo, a 2012 DV winner from Nigeria. I have been applying for DV for the past 12 years until i won it last year. I applied as single but got married later with a child. My interview is scheduled for 25th Jan 2012 and The problem i have now is raising the required $2457 for me ,my wife and 5months old baby. I never knew the whole processing would cost that much. I earn less $800 a month and have been finding it hard to raise the fees and now am considering postponing the interview date.I have an Uncle in US and i taught help would come from him but he keeps telling the economy is harsh and there is no money.

Please i want to know

1} if its the embassy that would fixed another date for me or i would pick a date of my choice? I want to pick late April 2012.

2} What are the implications of postponing interview date?

3} what excuse should i give the consulate on the reason for changing the date?

4} I really dont wanna miss this rare chance but what advice can yo give me?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi VJs

Am feyisayo, a 2012 DV winner from Nigeria. I have been applying for DV for the past 12 years until i won it last year. I applied as single but got married later with a child. My interview is scheduled for 25th Jan 2012 and The problem i have now is raising the required $2457 for me ,my wife and 5months old baby. I never knew the whole processing would cost that much. I earn less $800 a month and have been finding it hard to raise the fees and now am considering postponing the interview date.I have an Uncle in US and i taught help would come from him but he keeps telling the economy is harsh and there is no money.

Please i want to know

1} if its the embassy that would fixed another date for me or i would pick a date of my choice? I want to pick late April 2012.

First congratulations on your win.

Now, you can ONLY change your interview date ONCE! after that the next date you get MUSTt be honored or else you lose that chance and it does NOT matter the reason for missing the second interview. The EMBASSY will issue you another date and considering their workload, you may be lucky enough to get your april interview date...my question is are you absolutely sure you can get the money by then , remember once u are given the visa then you have to buy plane tickets etc and leave for the U.S within 6 months of visa issuance( are all these factored into your costs)

I dont have anything on the reason you can given them for the date change request but also note that you must complete your processing , interview etc by SEPT 2012( I hope I am right) other wise you lose that opportunity

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Hi VJs

Please i want to know

Congrats... I would suggest you honor your interview date and come back for your family when you are settled. The DV visa is given on a first come basis and nobody will keep any slot open for you. I will paste a memo from the US embassy on this issue below:

" If you cannot attend the interview appointment that was scheduled for you by the Kentucky Consular Center, you must schedule a new appointment to apply for a Diversity Visa.

Please alert us to your situation by e-mail at LagosIV@state.gov, and you will be notified of your new appointment day and time by return e-mail.

To gain entrance to the consulate for your rescheduled interview, you must bring the email or letter stating the new time and date of the appointment. Without this notification and the $819 DV application fee, you will be denied entry into the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos.

You must honor your second appointment even if you are lacking some required documentation such as your medical exam. At your interview, a consular officer will inform you in writing if you qualify for a Diversity Visa subject to submission of a missing document. In such cases, a separate admission letter prepared by the consular officer will be given to you, and you will be permitted entry to the Consulate General on the designated day to submit the missing document(s) prior to the end of the program, if sufficient visa numbers are still available.

Please note that there are a limited number of visas available for applicants from Nigeria, and the number of visas is a lot less than the number of applications selected. Applicants who honor their original appointment are given first priority for these visas; applicants with complete documentation for their rescheduled interview will be given second preference; all others will be considered as slots become available"

....All your Negative Energy Feeds Cancer!

event.png

Timeline

First congratulations on your win.

Now, you can ONLY change your interview date ONCE! after that the next date you get MUSTt be honored or else you lose that chance and it does NOT matter the reason for missing the second interview. The EMBASSY will issue you another date and considering their workload, you may be lucky enough to get your april interview date...my question is are you absolutely sure you can get the money by then , remember once u are given the visa then you have to buy plane tickets etc and leave for the U.S within 6 months of visa issuance( are all these factored into your costs)

I dont have anything on the reason you can given them for the date change request but also note that you must complete your processing , interview etc by SEPT 2012( I hope I am right) other wise you lose that opportunity

Sincerely, am not sure if i can get the whole money by then but shifting it further could have grave consequences dats why i put april.June would have been okay by me but the slots would have been exhausted by then.

Timeline

Congrats... I would suggest you honor your interview date and come back for your family when you are settled. The DV visa is given on a first come basis and nobody will keep any slot open for you. I will paste a memo from the US embassy on this issue below:

" If you cannot attend the interview appointment that was scheduled for you by the Kentucky Consular Center, you must schedule a new appointment to apply for a Diversity Visa.

Please alert us to your situation by e-mail at LagosIV@state.gov, and you will be notified of your new appointment day and time by return e-mail.

To gain entrance to the consulate for your rescheduled interview, you must bring the email or letter stating the new time and date of the appointment. Without this notification and the $819 DV application fee, you will be denied entry into the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos.

You must honor your second appointment even if you are lacking some required documentation such as your medical exam. At your interview, a consular officer will inform you in writing if you qualify for a Diversity Visa subject to submission of a missing document. In such cases, a separate admission letter prepared by the consular officer will be given to you, and you will be permitted entry to the Consulate General on the designated day to submit the missing document(s) prior to the end of the program, if sufficient visa numbers are still available.

Please note that there are a limited number of visas available for applicants from Nigeria, and the number of visas is a lot less than the number of applications selected. Applicants who honor their original appointment are given first priority for these visas; applicants with complete documentation for their rescheduled interview will be given second preference; all others will be considered as slots become available"

Tanx for your reply, in the forms i sent to KCC, i said they would accompany me to US but now if i honour the interview alone there may be consequences cos they listed my wife and baby as beneficiaries.Though i can raise my own fee before then but I saw somewhere that even if they are to accompany me later,they must also appear for the interview with me. I have all the required Docs with me including medicals,police reports,marriage cert,school cert etc. its just the money thats the issue now. As for the flight ticket if i win, am considering selling off my land if given the visa.

Sincerely, i feel depressed cos a thing of joy has turned sour for me. help doesnt seems to come anywhere,even when i request for loans from people promising high interest rate,no one is ready to help.

What should i tell the embassy is the reason for postponement cos i fear they can use the reason against me?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

What the other post was suggesting is that you alone come to the US as a DV lottery winner. Once you are here and have a green card in hand you can apply for your wife and child. The wait after filing would be about 3 years. You would be free to travel and visit Nigeria using your green card.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

What the other post was suggesting is that you alone come to the US as a DV lottery winner. Once you are here and have a green card in hand you can apply for your wife and child. The wait after filing would be about 3 years. You would be free to travel and visit Nigeria using your green card.

Will the Embassy allow me to do the interview alone? Remember that they listed them as beneficiaries and they requested that we must come to the interview together

You don't even need to stay over 6 months a year in USA. You can stay 4 months in USA and relax in Nigeria.

Just calculate how much you need if you sell your land.

i plan to sell my land for flight tickets if i get the visa. I doubt if i can get a buyer now before the interview.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
  1. Will the Embassy allow me to do the interview alone? Remember that they listed them as beneficiaries and they requested that we must come to the interview together

Yes the Embassy will allow you do the interview alone,since the fee would be for you alone.You can tell the consular officer you werent able to raise the fund for your wife and kid and you intend getting them over as soon as you start earning enough

i plan to sell my land for flight tickets if i get the visa. I doubt if i can get a buyer now before the interview.

Like its advised,do NOT Sell anything until you have your VISA.I understand your inability to finance the whole family,but being the Primary winner,you can always get them over as soon as you r qualified to

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Nigeria
I-129F Sent : 2011-06-08
I-129F NOA1 : 2011-06-17
I-129F RFE(s) : No RFE
RFE Reply(s) : No RFE
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-09-27
Interview: 2nd Week of January

Immigrant Visa rescheduled for second week of February 2012

Visa Refused on Immigration Purpose February 2013

We Got Married and Filed Spouse Visa

dancin5hr.gif Visa Approved in May 2013dancin5hr.gif

POE was Easy in June 2013

USA Citizen July 2016

Who cares to know how long My Visajourney was???

SSN Arrives on 07/01/2013

Filed: V-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Your wife and kids do not qualify to be interviewed because when you file, you filled being single. So any attempt for you now to say you're married with kids would become a misrepresentation in your case. The truth is, it's only you the embassy wants to see during the interview, otherwise, they'll say you lied about your marital status and that could lead to the denial of your visa which you don't happen.

SIMPLE SOLUTION

Go alone to your interview and obtain the visa... Then file for your family to come after you've become a citizen. That's your sure bet, otherwise you may be pursuing a deep shadow of yourself. Pls be wise..

Filed: V-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Your wife and kid do not qualify to be interviewed because when you file, you filled being single. So any attempt for you now to say you're married with a kid would become a material misrepresentation in your case. The truth is, it's only you the embassy wants to see during the interview, otherwise, they'll say you lied about your marital status and that could lead to the denial of your visa which you don't want to see happen. Also, you didn't list any family in your DV form when you apply for the lottery.

SIMPLE SOLUTION

Go alone to your interview and obtain the visa... Then file for your family to come after you've become a citizen. That's your sure bet, otherwise you may be pursuing a deep shadow of yourself. Pls be wise..

IN CONCLUSION,

Sell your land after obtaining the visa and travel. Then try as much as possible to work in other for you to be able to sponsor your wife and kid to come. Remember you'll submit an affidavit of support which requires that they won't become a public charge when you're ready to file for them. Think about all these..

Filed: Other Timeline

The problem he has to sell his land to pay for visa, and he will be denied visa because he has no saving to survive in the collapsing usa.

Regrettably USA is only for the riches. Its not a welcome country anymore and the USA dream is past since long time.

-July 2011 green card winner

-October 2011 sent pack to KCC

-to update

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.