43 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You have the right to express your but mind your statements

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Go for the interview ALONE. If the CO ask you of your wife and child tell the CO that they will follow later. Do not sell the land until you have your visa. Be smart and do your best to obtain the visa. My sister and her entire family just lost FOUR THOUSAND AND NINETY FIVE DOLLARS to Lagos embassy. Good luck to you!!!

If the DV winner does not have the educational requirements or the work experience according to the Department of Labor website that is indicated in the first step after being selected a winner, and they still show up for interview - yes, they will be denied and the money collected for processing of DV visa will not be refunded. Too many DV winners show up and apply for visa knowing full well they do not qualify for it - and they're surprised when they are denied when they can't prove the basic requirement for DV.

Clearly said here in step 1: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4756.html

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If the DV winner does not have the educational requirements or the work experience according to the Department of Labor website that is indicated in the first step after being selected a winner, and they still show up for interview - yes, they will be denied and the money collected for processing of DV visa will not be refunded. Too many DV winners show up and apply for visa knowing full well they do not qualify for it - and they're surprised when they are denied when they can't prove the basic requirement for DV.

Clearly said here in step 1: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4756.html

I dont think i have educational qualification issue here. I am a B.eng holder with 5 years working experience in Telecoms and oil and gas

Timeline

You qualify for the visa but the job market is terrible right now. Have you even pre scouted a job ?

Yes i have but i might still need to polish my self in some areas. I believe i can get a good from what i have seen so far but you know our certificate is hardly accepted over there.

I have option of working in 3 sectors:oil and gas(spent 30months as project engineer), telecoms(3yrs and still counting) and Agricuture(zero experience) but am thinking of focusing more on Agriculture because i graduated as an Agric engineer.

The major thing is still getting the visa cos without it, all am saying will mean nothing.

Timeline

Yes i have but i might still need to polish my self in some areas. I believe i can get a good from what i have seen so far but you know our certificate is hardly accepted over there.

I have option of working in 3 sectors:oil and gas(spent 30months as project engineer), telecoms(3yrs and still counting) and Agricuture(zero experience) but am thinking of focusing more on Agriculture because i graduated as an Agric engineer.

The major thing is still getting the visa cos without it, all am saying will mean nothing.

Right now ..you need to focus on getting the visa as said. appearing with your family will subject you to shwoing affidavit of support....as a previous poster linked you to the article that authorizes a consular officer to ask about this. You going alone to the interview will almost eliminate that need to know . do you have an address of where you you will leaving? if you are able to go singly and show some address of a friend etc who has agreed to house you even for few days, that should work favorably for you( go with bank statements and any proof of assets you own). One you will not be bogged with the worry of raising IV fee for 3 people and it shows to the CO that are being realistic in ur planning. you tell them that with the economy the way it is, you would like to go first, settle down and then file for your family to join later( I accomodated a family of three: a couple and their 3 year old girl who came in Ausgust 2010 based on the request of a dear friend). I advised the guy ( by the time I was introduced to them, they had been issued the visas) about leaving his family behind but he insisted , now he is scrambling to make ends meet( wife is due with second child in 4 weeks) and states he wishes he had listened, but I like his fighting spirit. He called me two days ago to ask for $600 because he needs to buy a matress for the new aprtment he is "hoping" to get this week( he has two full time security officer's job that pays barely minimum wage).. remember that you have been made aware of the waiting period for the petition of your family during that time.( at least you can still visit them as often as you like) . You are advantaged over my "visitors' in that you have good education and I am hoping your wife does too or at has some skills( if not and you decide to go the solo route, make sure she starts going to learn something that could be useful. so evaluate what is most prudent for you to do now and maximize ur chances.. Do let us know the outcome. ALL THE BEST.

CR-1 (for Husband):
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
NVC stage ( 20 days)

USCIS (22days)

Timeline

Right now ..you need to focus on getting the visa as said. appearing with your family will subject you to shwoing affidavit of support....as a previous poster linked you to the article that authorizes a consular officer to ask about this. You going alone to the interview will almost eliminate that need to know . do you have an address of where you you will leaving? if you are able to go singly and show some address of a friend etc who has agreed to house you even for few days, that should work favorably for you( go with bank statements and any proof of assets you own). One you will not be bogged with the worry of raising IV fee for 3 people and it shows to the CO that are being realistic in ur planning. you tell them that with the economy the way it is, you would like to go first, settle down and then file for your family to join later( I accomodated a family of three: a couple and their 3 year old girl who came in Ausgust 2010 based on the request of a dear friend). I advised the guy ( by the time I was introduced to them, they had been issued the visas) about leaving his family behind but he insisted , now he is scrambling to make ends meet( wife is due with second child in 4 weeks) and states he wishes he had listened, but I like his fighting spirit. He called me two days ago to ask for $600 because he needs to buy a matress for the new aprtment he is "hoping" to get this week( he has two full time security officer's job that pays barely minimum wage).. remember that you have been made aware of the waiting period for the petition of your family during that time.( at least you can still visit them as often as you like) . You are advantaged over my "visitors' in that you have good education and I am hoping your wife does too or at has some skills( if not and you decide to go the solo route, make sure she starts going to learn something that could be useful. so evaluate what is most prudent for you to do now and maximize ur chances.. Do let us know the outcome. ALL THE BEST.

Tanx so much for the message.I mailed US embassy in Nigeria about affidavit of support and they said its no longer required for DV. I have an uncle in Texas and Illinois,friends in Ohio and Boston and they all promised me accommodation but TX is my choice cos he owns the house and has been in US for 30years now.My wife doesnt have much education but she is skilled(WAEC and Catering skills).I will look into what you have said

Timeline

LOL..I am glad you were able to make sense out my gibberish. all the typos, omissions, repetitions etc.:wow: Must have been sleepy.

Stay strong

CR-1 (for Husband):
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
NVC stage ( 20 days)

USCIS (22days)

Timeline

LOL..I am glad you were able to make sense out my gibberish. all the typos, omissions, repetitions etc.:wow: Must have been sleepy.

Stay strong

i m enjoying this....a lot

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

@ Ndu, u've really bn a wonderful brother. Happy New Year House. Am a single dv winner and my interview will hold in March 2012. Am stl a student bt in my final year @ d Univ bt i hold an OND in Accountancy. Do u think i will b askd questns based on my WAEC,OND or DEGREE cos i filled al on my form bt my degree is Major in a Nigerian language,can i pre-scout 4 a job nw? If i get d visa, i intend 2 com home and marry my fiance dt we've bn together 4 a wile bt even afta marriage, how soon can she join me?

Timeline

@ Ndu, u've really bn a wonderful brother. Happy New Year House. Am a single dv winner and my interview will hold in March 2012. Am stl a student bt in my final year @ d Univ bt i hold an OND in Accountancy. Do u think i will b askd questns based on my WAEC,OND or DEGREE cos i filled al on my form bt my degree is Major in a Nigerian language,can i pre-scout 4 a job nw? If i get d visa, i intend 2 com home and marry my fiance dt we've bn together 4 a wile bt even afta marriage, how soon can she join me?

Thanks!!!! but its SISTER :D

Congratulations on your win!!!! yes make sure your information staright on those certificates because that is what qualifies you to be given a visa after the win. know ur dates etc if you intervchanged/abbreviated first and middle names etc while in school, be ready to explain it.

yes you can always come back and marry your fiancee or marry her just before you leave. once you arrive the U.S you are granted permanent resident staus and can then file for your spouse but since you will be a green card holder, the process could take approx 3 years to get her to join you but at least you can always go back and forth to visit with her pedning the conclusion of the petition.

CR-1 (for Husband):
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
NVC stage ( 20 days)

USCIS (22days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.