06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

• 2 months later...

I'll go ahead and share my experience here.

We put together an extensive set of various proofs with cover letter, similar to what many here have done, but it was not at all necessary when I filed at the U.S. Embassy in Panama.

The only things that the DHS person wanted were:

Form 130

Forms 825

passport photos of each of us

Copy of my passport info page

Copy of my wife's birth certificate (and certified translation)

Copy of our marriage license (and certified translation)

Copy of my Panama work visa (they didn't care about the translation)

Copy of my employment contract in Panama (again, didn't care about the translation)

Even though I had amassed some 30 documents, they only wanted those few items, and did not want the cover letter either. Funnily enough, we had to go back a second time because of defects in a couple of the things they did want:

- The translations of my wife's documents did not have an exact translation of the various seals that government officials had stamped it with. We had to get a those translations redone.

- My wife had neglected to buy the special government stamps for the official marriage and birth certificates. I am not sure why the U.S. officials would care whether or not we put some stamps (available at any bank) on them or not, but we could not file until we bought some.

It is worth noting that the DHS person actually checked to see if we had provided copies of the backs of the marriage and birth certificates to make sure we had copies of the stamps as well(!) I do not know if it is official policy, but I do wonder if we might have had to come back for a third trek if we had not had the foresight to copy the backs of the certificates.

So, no cover letter or extra docs needed, but DHS seems to want to make sure that all local governmental regs are observed...

• 1 year later...
Filed: Country: Italy
Timeline

i will be sending mine out next week please tell me what you think this is very important to me and i need your feed back guys!!!!!!!!!

United States Department of Homeland Security

USCIS Rome District Office

U.S. Embassy, Rome

To the officer in charge,

I am name, A U.S. Citizen living and working in Italy applying to Petition for my alien spouse name who is an Italian citizen. This is my cover letter explaining all attached documentation necessary to apply for such petition. I thank you in advance for your time and patients. If there is any issue or if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kindest regards,

name

address

phone number

email

Attached documents are as follows in this order:

® G-1145 E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance COMPLETED

® Checklist for Petition for Alien Spouse (provided online be the USCIS)

® I-130 Petition for Alien Spouse COMPLETED and SIGNED

®G-325A, Biographical Information and continued history sheet COMPLETED and SIGNED by Petitioner

® G-325A, Biographical information COMPLETED AND SIGNED by Alien Spouse

® 2 passport size photos of Petitioner

® 2 passport size photos of Alien Spouse

® Proof of American citizenship of Petitioner which includes;

-Copy of original birth certificate front and back

-Copy of Biographical page of passport

® Copy of Official Extract of Birth certificate of Alien Spouse

®Proof of Italian Residency of Petitioner which is includes;

-Email from Rome embassy confirming I (the petitioner) have established residency in Italy to submit the I-130.

-Copy of Italian work visa issued by the Italian embassy in Miami, Florida, U.S.A.

-Copy of Ministry of interior approval for permission of residency and subordinate work and translation

-Copy of Work contract for business and translation

-Copy of Work contract for business. and translation.

-Copy of Assignment of Tax code number and translation

-Copy of transference of residency to Italy along with translation.

-Copy of plane tickets of when Petitioner arrived in Italy with work Visa.

®Proof of marriage between Petitioner and Alien Spouse which includes

-Copy of Marriage certificate with apostille stamp and translation

-Sworn statement from the signed by the petitioner and Alien spouse in front of the consulate in Florence that Petitioner and Alien Spouse are both single, never been married, and are free to marry

- Copy of Publication of marriage posted in the town hall and translation

-Copy of wedding photos

I believe this information and attached documentation is accurate to the best of my ability and if approved the information will be sent to me electronically and I will wait for my notice of action. Thank you again for your time and I hope to here from you soon

Thank you

name

Since we filed at the consulate window and they tossed the cover letter back across (along with all the other attached ####### recommended on this site for an I-130 package) and kept ONLY the bare list required with the I130 it will be difficult to post the cover letter that they did not want in the first place and try to present it as something inportant to the processing of the case. Just sayin'

Consulate was Dhahran, SA, interview was Riyadh, case was approved. Fil,ed this year.

If you filed a DCF case abroad, be so kind as to help your future DCFers and let us know what you filed for your I-130 application.

I'm also interested in visa application submissions, so throw that in if you like.

Please include the Consulate you used and what year you filed. Thank you!!

Edited by himher

i don't get it.

• 1 month later...

We didn't include a cover letter when we filed here in Manila, hope thats ok.

DCF - US Embassy (Manila, Philippines)

- 04.10.2010 - Moved to the Philippines

- 10.15.2011 - Got Married

- 12.27.2011 - Filed I-130

- 03.02.2012 - I-130 Approved

- 03.09.2012 - Submitted DS2001/DS230 at MNL Embassy

- 03.15.2012 - SLMEC Exam (PASSED)

- 04.02.2012 - Interview

- 04.03.2012 - Approved!!! Thank you LORD!!!

• 3 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

We weren't explicitly required to submit a cover letter, but it was well worth the 5 minutes to type it up if it prevents and confusion and/or RFEs! Plus, I'm submitting DCF in Frankfurt, and you know how those Germans love extra paperwork :thumbs:

We think we went a *little* overkill, but better safe than sorry, right??

Hope this helps!

Jean-Luc & Lindsey LAST NAME

ADDRESS

ADDRESS

Deutschland

Officer-in-Charge

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Department of Homeland Security

US Consulate General, Frankfurt

Giessener Strasse 30

60435 Frankfurt

Germany

March 29, 2012

Subject: ORIGINAL SUBMISSION I-130 Petition from Lindsey LAST NAME (petitioner) for Jean-Luc LAST NAME (beneficiary)

To whom it may concern:

I am an American citizen currently residing in Germany with my German husband. We wish to move back to the United States together, and therefore are applying for a long-term/permanent residence permit for him. Please find the attached forms and supporting documents attached in conjunction with the I-130 for Jean-Luc LAST NAME:

1. I-130 Petition for Alien Relative, completed by Lindsey LAST NAME (petitioner) for Jean-Luc LAST NAME (beneficiary)

2. G-325A Biographic information for Lindsey LAST NAME (petitioner)

a. Biometric photo of Lindsey LAST NAME (petitioner) attached to corresponding G-325A

3. G-325A Biographic information for Jean-Luc LAST NAME (beneficiary)

a. Biometric photo of Jean-Luc LAST NAME (beneficiary) attached to corresponding G-325A

4. Documents proving US citizenship of Lindsey LAST NAME (petitioner)

a. Copy of birth certificate from the State of North Dakota

b. Copy of United States passport

5. Document proving legal residency in Germany for Lindsey LAST NAME (petitioner)

a. Copy of Aufenthaltstitel/residency permit with accompanying translation

b. Copy of student Visa with accompanying translation

c. Copy of xxxxberg city registration with accompanying translation

6. Documents proving identity of beneficiary (Jean-Luc LAST NAME):

a. Copy of German passport (headings provided in German and English)

7. Marriage certificate proving legal marriage of Lindsey (neé LAST NAME) LAST NAME (petitioner) and Jean-Luc LAST NAME (beneficiary) and indicating surname change of Lindsey LAST NAME (petitioner). 2 formats are provided:

a. Standard German version with accompanying translation

b. International version

8. Evidence of bona fide marriage

a. Apartment rental contract held jointly, with accompanying English translation

b. 11 pictures documenting our relationship with descriptions on the back of each photo

9. Copy of divorce decree from Lindsey LAST NAME’s (petitioner) previous marriage

10. Current contact information for Lindsey LAST NAME (petitioner) and Jean-Luc LAST NAME (beneficiary)

11. Credit card payment authorization form, authorized for the processing fee amount of $420

12. Form G-1145, E-notification of application/petition acceptance

Copies of the submitted documents are exact photocopies of unaltered documents, and I understand that I may be required to submit original documents to an Immigration or Consular officer at a later date.

I appreciate your review of this petition. I understand that when this petition is approved, you will contact the beneficiary of the petition, Jean-Luc LAST NAME. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance. My contact information is provided below.

Sincerely,

Lindsey LAST NAME

ADDRESS

ADDRESS

PHONE NUMBER

CELL NUMBER

Pre-VISA

November 14, 2009 - met randomly in a park in Atlanta, talked 1 hour

November 16, 2009 - started emailing daily

December 11, 2009 - flew to DC for a weekend to visit

January 5, 2010 - JL flies back to Germany :(

March 17-23, 2010 - I visit JL in Germany

September 1, 2010 - I move to Germany!

September 9, 2011 - Married <3

German Visa

December 20, 2011 - applied for German visa

February 9, 2012 - interview

March 26, 2012 - temporary 18 month greencard!

US VISA

April 3, 2012 - mailed I-130s to Frankfurt

April 11, 2012 - NOA1 mailed

April 13, 2012 - I-130 payment authorized

April 18, 2012 - NOA1 received

Impatiently waiting for NOA2......

• 3 months later...

I didnt use a cover letter. This was for the embassy in London in May 2012. It hasnt been a problem.

CR-1
07-01-2011 : Married

05-10-2012 : I-130 Mailed to London (DCF)
05-11-2012 : I-130 Delivered and signed for at Embassy
05-18-2012 : NOA1 Email
07-26-2012 : NOA2 (69 days)
07-28-2012 : NOA2 hard copy received
08-10-2012 : LND Case number received. Letter dated 08-07-2012
08-15-2012 : DS-230 and DS-2001 mailed to Embassy
08-23-2012 : Medical
09-14-2012 : Emailed Embassy and confirmed DS forms have finally been logged (After 29 days)
09-22-2012 : Interview letter received. Dated September 19th.
10-03-2012 : Interview - Approved!
NOA1 to Interview - 138 days.
10-10-2012 : Passport with Visa delivered two hours late at 8pm.
10-22-2012 : POE Philadelphia
11-15-2012 : Green Card received in mail
12-11-2012 : Went to the Social Security office to apply for SSN after it did not arrive.
12-15-2012 : SSN Arrived in 4 days.

05-09-2013 : Left USC Husband.
11-28-2013: Filed for divorce.

05-01-2014: Divorced

05-08-2014: Sent I-751 petition to VSC

05-13-2014: NOA1 (was not postmarked until 5/22/14 and received on 5/24/14)
06-18-2014: Biometrics in St. Albans, VT

11-21-2014: RFE. Received on 11/24/14.

01-22-2015: Interview notice mailed out. Received 1/26/15

02-12-2015: Interview in St Albans, VT - Approved during interview!

CRBA
08-16-2012 : CRBA in London for our daughter - Approved!
09-11-2012 : CRBA and Passport arrived.
09-25-2012 : SSN Arrived. Mailed from MD on 09-17-2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

hi, my husband lives in the US while I'm in Malaysia at the moment. Do we qualify for DCF?

He is with the military and might be deployed next year, though that cannot be confirmed at this point in time.

Any ideas if we can do DCF? Or should we just file via uscis and ask for expedite?

Also, does he has to file in person at the US KL embassy or can he mail it in (if we qualify for DCF)?

Thank you for your feedback!

• 2 months later...

Hi! I'm a new member here and would like to post the cover letter that I included with my I-130. I just want to say that I mailed the whole package in on Monday, Oct. 12, 2012... and I received my Approval Letter nine days later!! Was thrilled to get the Approval, and what a wonderful surprise to get it so fast! I mailed it to Rome from Falconara (which is in the Marche, Italy). Here is the cover letter (but I took out some of the names and places):

Dear Immigration Officers, October 3, 2012

My name is ------; I’m a US citizen by birth. I am submitting for your review the form I-130 along with supporting documentation. The I-130 will benefit my husband, ---------, who is a citizen of Italy.

Please find enclosed the following:

 I-130 Petition for Alien Relative

 Two G-325 A forms, one for my husband and one for myself

 A recent passport photo of myself, taken in late Sept. 2012

 A recent passport photo of my husband, taken in late Sept. 2012

 An original birth certificate for myself

 A copy of my own US passport

 A copy of my husband’s Italian passport

 An original certificate showing my residence in the town of ---------------, Italy

 An original marriage certificate

 A set of original photos featuring myself, my husband, our children, and other friends and family members

 A translated bank statement showing one of our monthly mortgage payments for our shared home. The translation was certified at a court in Ancona, Italy

 A bank check for 336 euro, as payment

 A notarized affidavit from my aunt, ------------, attesting to the validity of my marriage to my husband

 A notarized affidavit from my mother, --------------, attesting to the validity of my marriage to my husband

 An original letter from -------------, the justice of the peace who married me and my husband, attesting to the validity of our marriage

 An assortment of original envelopes from correspondence between my husband and myself during the 1990’s, as extra evidence of the longevity of our relationship

 A copy of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of an American citizen for each of our four children.

I thank you very much in advance for your kind attention, and will contact you within a few weeks to ensure that you have received this mailing.

Sincerely yours,

(name and phone number and email address)

We just submitted our I130s (they arrived at the London Embassy this morning) and did not enclose a cover letter. We used the checklist provided and placed one of those at the top of the pile of documents for each of my sons and myself. Our case is pretty straightforward (married since 1996, no previous marriages etc) so there was no need to us to explain any of the enclosed documents in any way. We may use a cover letter for future submissions but it did not seem necessary for the petitions.

Best wishes

Laura

Married a US/UK dual national in 1996 and had four children together.
Immigration Timeline: I130 Approval November 2012; Interview July 2013; Immigration October 2013. (Note, however, that we chose to stall the process for personal scheduling reasons)
As a family of six, we relocated from Argyll in Scotland to Pennsylvania in October 2013. 

I applied for Citizenship in October 2017 and am currently waiting for an Interview date.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.